What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

my dubious "PC COOLER RAMHEATSINKS" arrived today and were installed on the 9800XT. I'm running through a complete set of 3DMark 01 tests right now and it's looking good. the RAM is still hot AF, i'll need to upgrade the case eventually so i have a 12cm side intake fan blowing directly across the card
    IMG_20190320_143922 - Copy.jpg
    it's pretty quiet though

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    FIREWIRE1394 and Vanne like this.
  2. Camm

Camm Member

My BVM setup is almost complete, with the acquisition of a BKM-14L automatic calibration tool.

Just need to find a BKM-27T for multi region svideo (and the appropriate flash card to save settings) and my D24 project will almost be complete :D.

elvis likes this.
  3. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Cleaning out my rental to prepare to move back home. Going through my games, and found these gems.

[​IMG]

In the early days when this was relatively new, I didn't know it existed (I was about 7-8 at the time). When I went to my uncle's house for a family gathering, I saw he was playing this. I instantly fell in love with the franchise from there on in.
    These copies are his, which he later gave away to me several years ago.

adz and Vanne like this.
  4. power

power Member

my DF1 got a new lease on life over the weekend. ;)

Also a nice new ball mouse and a new trapdoor installed, along with my previously installed DF1/DF0 switcher my A500 is running sweet.

Next up I reckon i'll do some fiddling with the HD8+ thinking CF mods.

upload_2019-3-25_8-3-33.png

5. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

I'm pretty sure I still have the boxes for War Craft II and the expansion in my garage.

6. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I'm looking for my copy of ARL 96. A good friend of mine who used to work for EA said that Andrew Wilson was on the development team for the game, so I picked up the idea of somehow mailing my copy of the game to him to have it autographed.

adz likes this.
  7. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I don't know why this reminded me but back in the day I used to play ET's Rugby League from the early 90's on my PC. At first glance at my profile you might not think much of it since I live in QLD, but I grew up in Adelaide so back then the game was very much foreign to me and didn't come from a big sports following family either.

I have no idea why I brought it (was probably in a bargain bin since it would of been a hard sell outside of NSW/QLD) but I still found it relatively fun to play. Never converted me to the game though. :D

8. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

I began my project to socket the RAM chips and add 512K onboard to a spare A500 rev6a board I have, I also picked up a recapping kit so I'll be doing that next.

9. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

Ya'll might be thinking, "what crack is this guy smoking?", but at this point in time, I couldn't be happier with myself, sure it's not the most glamorous mod, but I planned and executed it, behold:

[​IMG]

Yeah, the sockets are a bit wonky looking and the soldering is far from perfect, but damnit, it works!

FIREWIRE1394, Grant, Vanne and 2 others like this.
  10. Simke

Simke Member

As a weekend project, got the ThinkPad which I acquired recently up and running.

- ThinkPad R31
    - Pentium III @ 1133 Mhz
    - 376MB RAM
    - 40GB HDD

When I picked up the machine it had no hard drive, so had to order one. After inserting new HDD, I discovered that the CD ROM is not really functioning (it does work 1 out of 10 times), so I couldn't boot from CD. There was no floppy drive, and BIOS doesn't support booting from USB.

Since the network card and BIOS support network boot over PXE, I started reading on how to set up a server, but then decided to just buy 2.5" IDE to USB adapter, as it may come in handy in the future. Found one at Jaycar which does 2.5/3.5 IDE & SATA to USB. So at the end managed to get bootable HDD with copy of Win 98 setup files on it.

I've got Win 98 SE running on it, with all the required drivers. I'll mostly use it for playing some of the older games, installed few Windows ones like C&C Gold, Doom 95, Civilization, Colonization and SimCity 2000 - they all work fine. Next step is to install some DOS games and see if I can get sound in them working - there is no DOS driver for soundcard, but I'm hoping that they should be fine when running within Windows.

Couple of minor issues with the machine - down arrow key is missing the cap (key still works) and for some reason TrackPoint reports as not working properly in device manager (even with IBM drivers installed), so I have to use USB mouse (which is more comfortable anyway).

Interestingly, System Properties shows Windows version as ME, even thought vesion number matches that of 98SE. It was a clean install of 98SE, could be that one of the drivers I installed changed something (most of them are for 98 and ME).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Vanne, adz and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  11. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Had the day off for solar install, they finished around midday leaving me with an afternoon to kill.
    Went to my acrylic guy and got a new piece for $25 to redo the whole thing to fix the 1 button hole i screwed up and apply the tron print i got for a control panel overlay.

IMG_20190409_175302.jpg IMG_20190409_175327.jpg

power, darknebula, Flamin Joe and 2 others like this.
  12. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Looks great!

WuZMoT likes this.
  13. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

yeh pretty happy with it, wasn't sure how it would turn out but wanted something dark/plain

14. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Now you're playing with power

Many arcade gems played, Comix Zone and Virtua Cop 2 pictured. Basking in bleeps, bloops and warm CRT glow.

IMG_20190413_132139.jpg IMG_20190413_151025.jpg

adz, power and elvis like this.
  15. mwd

mwd Member

I did a video on 3dfx video cards.

self_slaughter, adz, elvis and 2 others like this.
  16. Vanne

Vanne Member

Took delivery of some stuff I'd ordered ages ago.

[​IMG]

power, adz, Flamin Joe and 1 other person like this.
  17. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

OK.. who is it (on Hard quiz tonight)

18. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

Is that a 1351 mouse and CAD software? On the C64?

19. Vanne

Vanne Member

Nope its 128 specific.. and yep its a 1351 mouse. I haven't really looked at the software yet, but ill take a squiz tonight.

[​IMG]

And also in the box is

Big blue reader for C128

20. MrMaestro

MrMaestro Member

I finally got all the bits together this weekend to begin putting together a Win XP Athlon 64 rig. Spent all arvo on it yesterday - it needed a bit of TLC - but the thing won't boot. I get a beep code but the motherboard manual doesn't list the bloody codes! :mad:

At this stage I'm just guessing but I think the DDR DIMMs I have are dodgy.