What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. flain

flain Member

I'm guessing doom probably wont run too well but should still run. I remember back in the day that upgrading from 4MB of RAM to 8MB of RAM made a difference with doom on my 486 sx33 :), still choppy though unless I ran it without sound. Depending on how far you want to take this one of these will let you use a SATA drive in it https://www.lindy.com.au/ide-conver...sYsNg8nOKGzvRtBVOr4IdrfMvjOZBdN4aAiOiEALw_wcB and you should be able to stick freedos on it to get games going if the original drive isn't working anymore.

2. xlot

xlot Member

Heh I had no idea this even existed.

Interesting info on it - the proper site is down, but wayback machine has a lot of good info, especially in the comments:

http://web.archive.org/web/20180824...com/wp/ibm-blue-lightning-worlds-fastest-386/

Yes to pictures - I took some last night, although ironically not much of the cpu as I was mostly looking for the battery and RTC info, but I have a whole of board shot - Will dig them off the camera when I get home.

It's a Cougar II rev B board - with a Mr BIOS on it.

3. xlot

xlot Member

4. xlot

xlot Member

Played doom! :D No serial mouse (or serial-protocol ps2 one), so painful with keyboard only, but the machine is working, including HDD etc.

Got 9.7fps on Doom timedemo, so thinking I'll try bumping the bus speed to 33mhz

Ordered:
    • 2GB CF card and usb reader for it (for easy transfer of data to the 486 - I've got CF/IDE adapters already)

Shopping list in priority order:
    1. serial-compatible mouse
    2. more ram as I had to disable smartdrv to get doom to run (board only takes 1/4/16mb simms)
    3. VLB video card with better DOS performance and 1 or 2MB vram for better Windows display res. with 256+ colours (might take a while to find a good price on a decent one)

adz likes this.
  5. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

TIL people actually play OG doom with a mouse.

6. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

I've heard that IBM had a thing about memory. 8MB simms are somehow not 'standard' and thus were not supported in IBM machines. I have some 72 pin ram (4MB or 16MB) if you need some. I have never seen 1MB 72 pin simms.

7. flain

flain Member

Most people playing doom back when it came out used keyboard :). You don’t need to look up/down so using a mouse just lets you turn faster.

8. badmofo

badmofo Member

I've only ever played DOOM with the keyboard, although I've read that Romero recommends playing Wolf3D (and I'm assuming DOOM) with a mouse. But what would he know?

9. clonex

clonex Member

page up/page down did the achieved thing didnt it?

10. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Well, he didn't know that killing flies wasn't fun. And that I'm actually not nor would I ever be his bitch.

elvis likes this.
  11. flain

flain Member

Not in the original (both doom 1 & 2) there was no look up/down. Later builds after the source code got released added things like that. However aiming up/down still isn’t required if the target is in front you hit it regardless of up/down aiming :)

Higher and lower areas in doom are really just an illusion to the player :). You literally can't have more than 1 level in one place, bridges with empty space underneath can't be done due to the game engine limitations. I remember one of the "technological breakthroughs" Duke 3D was touting was overlapping sectors (ie, bridges and multi-floor levels etc).

The build engine in Duke 3D also had a super cool level editor where you could walk around and modify the level as if you were playing it :).

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  12. Vanne

Vanne Member

[​IMG]
    Lol had a laugh today at the vor. ;)

adz and elvis like this.
  13. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Been a bit quiet on the retro front lately, but I've been playing around with a circa 2005 Macron PW70 gaming laptop.

Click to view full size!

It's a rebadged Clevo M570A with decent specs for the time: Pentium M 2.0GHz, ATI X800 XT 256MB and a 1680×1050 17" screen.

In quite tidy condition all things considered. :) GPU fan is a little noisy which will need some attention.

Hotrod2go, adz and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  14. oculi

oculi Member

Threw out a broken TV, now I only have 3 CRTVs.

15. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

At the risk of sounding stupid (or at least unperceptive), please share...

Vanne likes this.
  16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

No chance of a fix?

17. oculi

oculi Member

Dunno I couldn't be bothered learning what bits to not touch and don't know anyone who would have wanted it enough to fix it. Kinda a pity as it was quite nice while it worked.

I told my wife I chucked it and she said "that big ugly one in the study?" And I said "haha no that's still there"

Vanne and elvis like this.
  18. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Started cleaning up a beige Athlon XP box.
    Cleaned and tested the CPU (1800+), CASE, PSU, 40GB HDD, FDD, CD ROM and everything, looking good now, so I figured I'd keep the same config it had.
    Cleaned the motherboard all up, looking good with no bulging caps or problems, and then noticed it has SD RAM slots. MOTHERF... I don't have any spare SD RAM. Since it's an 1800+ (palomino) and uses SD ram I'm guessing it's from 2001 or early 2002.

But since I can't go with a working config as I found it, I picked out a nice Beige Pioneer 109 DVD burner (cheating a bit since it's from 2005)
    and now looking at my pile of athlon XPs and mobo's to use.
    Thinking of going with the Palomino 1800+ or 2100+, Thoroughbred 2200+ or 2400+ or possibly a Barton 2500+... TOO MANY CHOICES :(
    I'm inclined to rule out the Barton as by 2004 beige boxes had fallen out of popularity.

The problem I have is that because this is a build for a build, I don't need to use the best stuff I have, but that leaves me WIDE open for choices, and after this build is done I will be clearing out the remaining Athlon XP stuff. (got my black box here that I love)

Pics and build to come (when I decide what to go with)

Edit: still ahve to find a matching CRT and speakers to go WITH this build, but they're not usually hard to find!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    Hotrod2go, Vanne and adz like this.
  19. Vanne

Vanne Member

The vor is called "RGB" thought that was pretty fitting :thumbup::p

20. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

I see. I was wondering if the pilot was working his vectors so the VOR readout looked like a game of Asteroids or something.