What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

That board looks very familiar, reckon I had one of them eons ago, as many other here would have.
    Nice work.

Pierre32 likes this.
  2. Vanne

Vanne Member

Love the slot (slut) 1 Pentiums (as they were known around my mates and I) lol, bit of nerd humour I guess back then lol.

Pierre32 and WuZMoT like this.
  3. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

slots.jpg

Vanne, FIREWIRE1394, elvis and 2 others like this.
  4. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I also had a feeling it looked familar too like I had worked on some in past jobs. Had a hunch it was an OEM motherboard and did I a little Googling of the markings between the CPU and memory slots and turns out I was right.

Acer 55.35G01.102AA Slot 1 Motherboard.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ACER-55...33MHz-SL45Z-CPU-3x-128MB-Memory-/272389605672

In hindsight the I/O shield stuck to the motherboard was a dead giveaway it was OEM. :) Didn't actually notice that until I saw the eBay listing!

genxor likes this.
  5. Pierre32

Pierre32 New Member

Indeed, complete with Acer Aspire boot splash screen!

6. Pierre32

Pierre32 New Member

It's been quite a week.

Not long ago I decided to do a 486 build, to finally run my Roland gear (MT-32, SC-55) from a real rig. The market being how it is right now, it's not a great time to be ebaying for this stuff. And I'm starting from absolute scratch.

This week I threw a bid on a nice Pentium 90 Win95 system. Not quite what I was chasing, but right in the era I'm targeting, so I decided this could be the one. I also bought & bid on various peripherals; keyboard, mouse, speakers etc. Come Friday, I unexpectedly scored the Pentium II system I posted above, then won the P90 auction for a disturbingly low price. I had also thrown a couple of modest bids at the Yarra Valley auction...

It seems today that I've also accidentally won a Compaq Presario 425 (486 all-in-one). I'm pretty excited about that. But this was supposed to be a mission for one system. :Paranoid:

This morning I took a pre-planned Gumtree & op shop road trip around the outer 'burbs, and came home with a CRT, multiple AT keyboards, and more speakers. You can't just leave these things in junk piles, can you? So in the space of 24hrs I've gone from nothing to beige tsunami.

I'll create work log threads for the P90 and Presario systems when they land. For now I'll just post one of today's pickups, a pair of Apple Design M6082's. Apple gear was not in the game plan, but I absolutely love them. Just need to sort out a power pack.

[​IMG]

Vanne and elvis like this.
  7. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Casual Saturday arvo testing which version of alpha is better... CPS2 @ 15khz o Naomi @ 31khz? My preference is on 15khz!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vanne, adz, mAJORD and 2 others like this.
  8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

The US Air Force announced this week that they've finally retired 8" floppy drives from their missile control system.

The 16bit IBM Series/1 remains, however.

https://arstechnica.com/information...-floppies-from-missile-launch-control-system/

For SFA, 15KHz.

For CvS2 and MvC2, 31KHz (because both of these interlace at 15KHz).

9. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Started spring cleaning...err make that spring re-arranging ?

.. Get as much stuff in corner of garage so I can fit a car in, is probably a better description.

mons.png

Getting there. But this isn't even half of it :wired: , a lot of the remainder has to go upstairs, some up for sale or giveaway

adz, elvis and bYrd like this.
  10. bYrd

bYrd Member

Is there anywhere else you can put the CRTs? I find storing CRTs on a rack is really unwieldy and they take up a pile of space. You could shove a pile of desktops in there over monitors. Can you bring them out when needed, eg. store under the house or something in garbage bags when not required

11. elvis

You can buy silica gel packets off AliExpress for cheap. Great for throwing in plastic bags with stuff to store and avoid moisture/mold problems.

adz and mAJORD like this.
  12. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Tell me about it!, Don't really have another ideas though - There is no under the house - I don't really need any more space for the desktops - I know there's some in those pics but I can actually put them elsewhere.

IT's just the unfortunate nature of CRT's.

the monitor that looks like it's on the floor there is actually sitting on a car creeper for the moment - it's that heavy (1996 Sun microsystems 19") I may use it on my upcoming build!, that'll take care of the storage issue!.

Yes!. They used to be quite expensive for decent sized packs a long time ago to source locally, but not any more so no exuse really.

I use them inside my plastic containers full of parts, and particularly software on floppy's

These are also great to stick to the inside of the container (providing it's transparent) https://www.silicagel.com.au/categories/Humidity-Indicator-Cards/ , so you know when to replace the packs

elvis likes this.
  13. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I use silica gel packs in all my open PC big box games. You'll be surprised at how easily cardboard and paper absorb moisture in the air so you can never be too careful.

That reminds me I need to grab some more as they are due for replacement.

qwertylesh and elvis like this.
  14. elvis

Important point! Remember to replace these every once in a while (especially if you've gone through a humid summer or two).

There was an interesting video on the "Last Gamer" channel a while back. Joel had local museum curators in to advise him on things. One said to him that letting boxes breathe was better than putting them in plastic liners, as the latter will cause mold to grow.

I thought about that, and I guess that's true if you've got some sort of humidity control (museum environment, air conditioned house, etc). My games room doesn't have air con, and humidity is a problem. I can't help but think plastic cases with silica gel is the better option for that environment.

Flamin Joe likes this.
  15. power

power Member

does anyone store controllers in sandwich bags - is this a recommended thing to do? How does the rubber on the sticks go? Would silica bags be recommended here?

further thought, does the rubber go funny because of people grime? should they be cleaned before storage?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  16. badmofo

badmofo Member

I store my consoles / controllers in plastic tubs - clip on lids but not the kind with a rubber seal. I toss a few of those silica thingos in and sticky tape them inside my old PCs too - never had a problem with rust or rubber but I've only been doing that for about 5 years.

Putting them inside big boxed games is a great idea - I've bought a few games over the years that looked great on the outside but the inner box / manual had what looked like mold / mild water damage.

Flamin Joe, adz and mAJORD like this.
  17. elvis

I try to keep my controllers either in tubs or in cotton/linen bags if I can. Keeps the dust off, but lets them breathe too.

"Simple Green" is my cleaner of choice. I give most of my controllers an annual wipe down with a small amount of that and warm water. It's proven to clean grime off even the worst controllers without damaging plastics or rubber for me over many years.

Friends regularly donate me boxes of things they've had stored in the shed for eons, and the condition of some of them are horrendous. I bought a box of PSX controllers from a GameTraders that was going out of business, and the grime on some of them was gag-worthy. Simple Green to the rescue.

adz likes this.
  18. power

power Member

I like the idea of cotton/linen bags. that would both let them breathe and potentially absorb moisture. For a tough clean i like that orange cleaner stuff but i feel it might be too strong on controller stick rubber - now I know I can buy controller sticks now, but this may not always be an option in the future so I'm looking at why it happens and how to fight it.

Anyone that's used a stored controller will know that stickiness i'm talking about.

19. elvis

Indeed I do. Grab a spray bottle of Simple Green. Spray your controller cord, leave it 30 seconds, use a wet chux to wipe off.

You'll be schmoo-free in under a minute.

20. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I'm in the same situation with my collection and have wondered the same thing. While it's good to have silica gel bags inside the box taking care of the moisture inside, the outside of the box is still exposed to the elements and absorbing moisture.

Just recently I have been thinking of buying some game protectors from this seller on eBay. The case doesn't have to be a snug fit in fact having some breathing room would be benficial as the idea I was thinking was to not only place the silicia bag inside but have another small one loose inside the case on the outside of the box. In theory that should at least take care of the moisture inside and outside of the box.

That's basically how I got the idea. Quite a few of my older games have a musty old book smell to them inside which I know is caused by dampness. So I figured it was probably a good idea to take care of any moisture that was getting trapped inside using silicia bags.