What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

One of the reasons I picked it up. Wasn't advertised with any specs, there was a funky looking box next to a 19" monitor. Saw the fan on the IO shield at the back, could only be a few boards, so was worth a punt.

Currently the system powers on but no video out of the Radeon 9600. Fingers crossed it's just a dud card, but need to find a little PC speaker to listen for the bios beeps.

Will be on the look out for a 3.0E, or 3.4ghz P4, and some DDR450/500 if they're still around anywhere.

okclock123 and adz like this.
  2. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Abit also has the IS7-G (i865-G chipset) which has 4 SATA ports. I still have mine along with some Cosair XMS DDR400.

okclock123 likes this.
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I've brought a few of those era cards back to life with a recap. But they're also easy enough to find replacements for too.

4. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

If the caps look ok i'd start by cleaning oxidization off the contacts on both the video card and the RAM modules first.

In my experience oxidization can throw you all sorts of curve balls in as little as 2 years of run time.

Even pinless CPU's can drop memory banks or PCIE function due to dirty contacts.

okclock123 likes this.
  5. sammy_b0i

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    okclock123 likes this.
  6. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I'd make sure the board works before you get too far into it. From my experience, Abit boards can be a little unreliable (probably reflects their intended usage, more than anything).

WuZMoT likes this.
  7. power

power Member

SATA was on practically all 865/875 boards

The IC7 was ok but it was no P4C-800.

The IC7's NB fan basically failed out of the box.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2020
    MUTMAN likes this.
  8. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Said anyone who ever owned an abit motherboard. :lol:

decades later I, still give them shit, I love it.

MUTMAN and WuZMoT like this.
  9. sammy_b0i

The P4C800 looks so plain and vanilla though.

Haha, yeah. Wouldn't surprise me, this one sounds like a blender full of rocks. :thumbup:

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  10. power

power Member

If you bought a P4C you bought the Deluxe :) And who needs looks when you perform better.

so factory default state then, lol.

WuZMoT likes this.
  11. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Got bored and had a crack at getting the latest acquisition running again - linky here

okclock123 likes this.
  12. shredder

shredder Member

13. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

HELL YES!!! gimme gimme. ;)

14. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Our resident CRT Lord elvis graced me with his presence today to further document the process of correctly colour calibrating CRTs for his video series.
    We ripped through the Panasonic 16:9 480p set fairly effortlessly as we agreed would be the case. The Panasonic is looking FANTASTIC.
    A short break to do a naked eye assessment of Super Metroid and several Dreamcast titles on my cabinets display and the bigger problem was tackled - The washed out Samsung 4:3 480i display.

We hit a bit of a wall with poor Sammy straight away. Firstly we had to push some extremes of brightness to get a decent grey scale range to scan. Things were looking very red and due to the the maximum brightness ordinarily small adjustments to the RGB spectrums resulted in exaggerated results.

This set was a bit of a bastard due to it defaulting to TV input when the service menu was invoked. Then having to power down to leave the service menu. Then having to power up to view an input to scan the test images. Then Powering down before invoking the service menu through powering up again. This would not have been that much of an issue except for the great number of adjustments we had to make step by step due to the aforementioned issue.

I expect I will have nightmares of the following image, awakening in a puddle of sweat with the words "display" > "menu" > "mute" > "power" repeating in my head.
    IMG_20200613_172408.jpg

I want to say the end result of this set is .. ok. It's been a long day and I have mixed feelings about it. I want to recap it in an effort to improve it it but part of me doesn't want to look at it anymore :lol:. Put simply its yellow is majorly lacking and can't be corrected. This is more or less apparent depending on the content so it's not useless but anything that needs a solid yellow to sell it's image is let down.

I forewarn you retro friends. If elvis says your triangle isn't a triangle, you have a problem!

Some photographs of both tubes after calibration, the left is always 480p and the right is always 480i. There will of course be some variance due to a phone camera being a phone camera but regardless they are VERY close in many colours.
    Halo (pretty tops):
    IMG_20200613_145439.jpg
    Doom 3 (pretty tops):
    IMG_20200613_154127.jpg
    Outrun 2 (hmmmmm, mellow yellow is a white wash):
    IMG_20200613_150924.jpg

Kudos to elvis for donating his time to this cause. I'm glad I could entertain him by verbally expressing my mixed emotions towards a 20 year old television that can't really hear what I'm saying to it, be that good or bad.

15. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Haha I commend your patience. That whole cycle was pretty maddening toward the end.

At least it reinforced to me that I need to invest in an RF encoder. :)

I'll grab a shot of the colour gamut tomorrow and post it up. What a special telly that was!

16. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Brightness seems to be fluctuating on it now it's being very inconsistent.
    I'll see what it does tomorrow but i think its time for caps.

elvis likes this.
  17. Cellsplicer

Cellsplicer Member

I have had a bit of retro fever lately playing around with my Socket 7 PC and Tualatin PC.

Thought I would add a new one to the collection and re-live my teenage years going to lan parties and overclocking with my P4 2.53GHz and ASUS P4G8X deluxe (both long gone).

Went out and got my hands on:
    Fractal Design R3 XL case
    Gigabyte GA-8KNXP rev 1.0 motherboard
    Pentium 4 Northwood 3.0C SL6WK
    2GB Corsair XMS3208v1.2 DDR400 @ 2-2-2-5

From the parts bin:
    Seasonic G-360 360W 80+ Gold Power Supply
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD
    Samsung SpinPoint F1 750GB HDD
    Tuniq Tower 120 CPU cooler
    XFX 6800XT 128MB AGP video card
    Sound Blaster Live! 5.1
    Intel PRO/1000 MT NIC

Ran into some trouble with this build:
    • The motherboard sits too low so I have had to adjust the brackets on all the expansion cards
    • I only have two of the memory modules in the board at the moment. It won't POST with the other two modules installed. Not sure if the modules are faulty as I haven't tried swapping them yet.
    • The onboard Intel NIC doesn't seem to work, it sends packets but does not receive any. Tried a few different OSes with the same issue. So I have added the Pro/1000 MT which works fine.
    For some overclocking action I am running the Northwood at 3.5GHz (233x15) with the memory on 2/3 ratio as the system does not currently POST with the memory at 1:1. Running stable with the massive Tuniq Tower cooler on Prime95 stress test at only 40C!

IMG_4882.jpg
    IMG_4885.jpg
    IMG_4888.jpg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    okclock123, MUTMAN, Reaper and 2 others like this.
  18. Sir Didymus

Sir Didymus Member

The old Tuniq Tower, now that's a classic.

Cellsplicer likes this.
  19. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Crikey, ironically enough I have not seen one of those coolers since an old WALAN event back in the early 2000s.

20. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My mum was going through an old cupboard and found this, I remember it well and to be honest its pretty crap:lol:!

Apparently Hasbro are going to re-release 4 versions of the handhelds, The little Mermaid, Transformers: Generation 2, X Men Project X & Sonic the Hedgehog 3.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/19/...cs-lcd-handheld-games-xmen-sonic-transformers

For $15USD you might as well flush your money down the drain:Paranoid:.

I think these Unlit fixed LCD screens were alright for some style games like those hunting games where you have to time a shot to hit birds or the Submarine games, got hooked on those, Just cant quite recreate Mortal Kombat on this type of technology:lol:!

Im going to sell this if anyones interested for a FAIR price.....

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Utetopia, okclock123, WuZMoT and 4 others like this.