What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

Really keen to see the results of this as my Voodoo II SLI rig is built around a Gigabyte BX2000+.

2. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

Ran into a glitch and got to start again. But no big deal, I want to make sure I have valid data.

Found a driver from Creative that allows you to disable SLI through the driver. This makes benchmarking quite easy.

The fastest CPUs I have is a P III 750 and a Celeron 900. Beyond that I will have to move the Socket 370 platform all they way up to a Tualatin.

After that maybe a S478 system with a Pentium 4, who knows how far these Voodoo 2 in SLI scale.

3. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

Brother asked me if I still had Street Rod 2 which I did and discovered it didn't work under Windows XP so out came the P3 550 retro box and I played Street Rod 2! I have never managed to finish that game, the Moholland Drive is just too hard and I always crash!

And while I was at it, that system has a Voodoo2 12MB in it so I also played the 3Dfx version Need for Speed 2 which is significantly different to the standard versions. I could use SLI but that game doesn't need it.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
  4. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

I'm running a PGA370 to Tualatin adapter on a PGA370 to slot 1 adapter for my Celery 1200, I've also got a PIII-S 1266 but I can't lock the PCI bus when I crank the BX2000+ to 133FSB. I was thinking of migrating all my voodoo gear to my Intel 850 based rig with a socket 423 P4 1.4 and RAMBUS.

5. Mau1wurf1977

Funny you mention P4. I find that the P4 isn't getting much love at the moment. Sure clock for clock it was slower compared to the Pentium III, but the platform was very mature and stable and boards and CPUs are cheap and very easy to source.

I will actually go straight to socket 478 because there are chipset with SATA support and I was surprised to find lowly clocked Willamatte and Nortwood CPUs for this socket.

There is a Willamatte 1.4 GHz and a Nortwood 1.6 GHz for the Socket 478. So I will be checking out these options, make a few videos and see if people warm up to building Pentium 4 machines instead of, more expensive and trickier, Tualatin beasts.

6. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

The Northwood 1.6 was a pretty legendary overclocker in its day.

I never had a P4, I stuck with Athlon XP during that time, first an 1800+ then a Barton 2800+. I went Core 2 Duo after that. A mate got a Willamette 1.5 with SDRAM and it was complete bollocks, a decent P3 wiped the floor with it.

7. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

A Willamette paired with RDRAM is actaually quite a beast, I'm really impressed with the performance of mine, however, just like you, I was firmly in the AMD camp back then, starting with a T-bird 2400+, then going for a Barton 2500+, I got some really cool figures out of my 2500+ when I pushed the FSB beyond 200MHz, those were fun times.

8. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

I ended up jamming a Adaptec 1210SA card and my old 36GB WD Raptor in my P4 box, I've never seen Win98 boot so fast in my life :thumbup: However, your idea of a cheap 478 board and older 478 CPU might be a better way, I've also got a 875 based board sitting there doing very little that's paired with a 3.2GHz Prescott, now that runs hot!

9. Mau1wurf1977

What I like about the P4 is the stability and SATA. The 865 and 875 (quite hard to find boards) chipsets are really good.

Stick a 1.4 GHz P4 and see what happens.

I will definitely compare such a setup with a Socket 370 system because it interest me.

[​IMG]

Got this Asrock 865 chipset board. I like how simple and clean it is. Big fan of Asrock. Seller wrapped it in paper and stuck it in a satchel :thumbdn:

The board works fine, but the cooler snapped off.

Got some CPUs as well (3.0 and 3.2 Nortwood) and a lot slower ones underway. Quite excited to doing some more testing soon :) Got four more boards coming.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  10. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

Tidy board indeed! If you were a little closer I'd happily lend you my Asus 875 board to contribute to the cause ;)

11. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I've always liked ASRock motherboards. Their weird combinations are funny: I had a 775 board with PCI-E and AGP, as well as DDR1 and DDR2. Amazingly, it was very stable at stock speeds.

I can't get over my hate for the P4 era though... :lol:

The only system that survived my P4 cull is a Compaq Evo D510. That's because it's quiet and stupidly reliable - you could leave it on indefinitely. No cursed capacitor affliction here. A complete slug even with a later 2.53 GHz CPU - it came stock with a ghastly Northwood 1.8 GHz. I swear my laptop at the time was quicker, an IBM T20 with a 1 GHz Pentium 3.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  12. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

I can recall reading about that board on TH back when it first appeared, I was really put off by the VIA chipset as I'd had a rather bad run with VIA products at the time...

13. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Found it: http://www.legitreviews.com/asrock-775dual-vsta-motherboard-review_377

VIA was definitely cheap and cheerful at the time, but the board worked very well at stock speeds. It has absolutely no overclocking ability though.

14. Mau1wurf1977

Well I looked at archived benchmarks and the P4 was not THAT bad. Depending on software it was actually quite good.

The worst I saw was a 1.4 P4 performing on the level of a 1GHz P3. Not a big deal when these days P4 chips are cheaps as chips :)

15. Mau1wurf1977

Got my P4 bench up and running.

Had massive issues getting the Voodoo cards going. In the end a newer driver fixed the issue. It's called "FastVoodoo2 V4.0 Gold Edition" and now everything is working fine.

I can tell you that a 1 GHz PIII is not too far from CPU maxing out Voodoo 2 SLI at 640 x 480.

I would love to test higher resolutions, but one of my cards has faulty memory, so 640 x 480 is the best. I haven't seen a cheap Monster 3D II for a long time. One day I will just have to bight the bullet.

DOS sound works fine through the Vortex 2 chip (Turtle Beach Montego II).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

you never cease to make me jelly mau... :upset:

god id love an old voodoo2 rig. one of the only cards im missing. =x

17. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

I think I have a 12MB Monster II that's kinda dead, only thing I can recall being wrong with it is a resistor that's only half soldered on, you can have it if you want, assuming I can find it...

18. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I've got a couple of Voodoo II's which I haven't got around to doing much with. One is a Monster 3D II and the other is a OEM Voodoo 2 12MB which is almost identical to the Monster 3D II except it uses Mosel RAM chips.

When I was playing around with them a while back I was having issues trying to get them to run in SLI so I might give those FastVoodoo2 drivers a go. :thumbup: Not sure what I'm going to do with them beyond that.

19. Mau1wurf1977

I will try and get it going. Got a solder station and all the gear :)

Please let me know if you find and I will send you a PM.

20. Mau1wurf1977

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014