1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. mobius.ro

mobius.ro Member

Finally got around to installing an RGB Bypass + Dejitter board (as well as the C11 resistor replacement) from arthrimus in my 1Chip Super Famicom

Looks great with the RAD2x cable and the FXPAK Pro doesn't skip a beat!

https://imgur.com/a/iYHep15

Going to try and install the N64 RGB board from arthrimus tomorrow, however need to source a new L/H controller port for the system....if anyone has a broken or spare controller port hit me up!

Vanne and WuZMoT like this.
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

3. bYrd

bYrd Member

Ha - just realised I've become like a good friend of mine who gets into certain bands and albums 10 - 15 years ago past their official release. He has been belting out Radiohead - In Rainbows for months purporting he has never heard it before.

deevus, adz and elvis like this.
  4. Utetopia

Utetopia Member

Screens no good? I'm guessing the purple colour means the green isn't good.. Tried a variety of DVI cables, double d-sub & it's spitting out the same washed out colours.

Attached Files:

5. mobius.ro

mobius.ro Member

Yep :). HUGE overkill, but it makes for a very easy and clean install.

elvis likes this.
  6. elvis

Clean your connection points. Grab some electronic cleaning solvent, spray all connectors, give anything you can a good scrub with some nylon bristles (a toothbrush is cheap and easy to use).

https://www.jaycar.com.au/electronic-cleaning-solvent-spray-can/p/NA1004

Cover that off first before you go diving into electrical fixes.

Flamin Joe likes this.
  7. shredder

shredder Member

I'm probably biased as a retro gamer, but the unacceptable feeling of being a consumer teat being constantly sucked at by corporate producers is inescapable with a lot of these modern games, and I don't like it. :lol:

^I said, in the modern Free Games thread, talking about a cool-but subscription-y/constant buy-our-ingame-tokens-y modernish game : probably more of a topic for this sort of area.

I don't like or want my games having the feature of mechanisms and dynamics specifically designed to entice money out of me. I'll pay fairly for what's due, once, and then get on with it.

I've never read about it, but I guess "gaming as a service" (GAAS - pronounced "gay as", n.t.t.a.w.w.t.) is the thing I'm railing against, as a personal preference.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Vanne likes this.
  8. elvis

The fact is this isn't going away. In fact, it will become a much bigger part of large format, online, multiplayer gaming as time goes on.

But, that doesn't mean that traditional gaming is going away, nor that anyone is forced to partake in it.

What we do need to accept is that many of us who were once the target market of the games industry, no longer are.

The good news is that gaming contributes to broaden, with more and more options appearing every day. That also means more options that folks like us don't want, but that's ok, because there's plenty we will want.

shredder likes this.
  9. shredder

shredder Member

Got my first native DOS setup in many years, working to my initial liking, and ready-to-game. Albeit no CRT yet, but that'll come in time.

1.rotated.JPG

2.rotated.JPG

3.rotated.JPG
    Now I can (read: have to) go and attend to other things for a few hours. :lol:

Flamin Joe, adz, Vanne and 1 other person like this.
  10. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Honestly your not going to do better if you want your computer to play games the CPU can handle.

Can you run riviatuner or one of those overclocking programmes?

I think those MX440s came with as low as 32bit memory but even at 64bits should be alot quicker than a Voodoo3.

Yeah and low profile, maybe have a play around with different driver sets like the earliest ones and start from their.

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?p=411639#p411639

Edit: Have a read through this thread but i'll link to page 3 where Feiopa did some testing with a K6-3/500 with the PCI MX440/400/FX5500 etc.

He uses driver 53.04 & 56.64 for the MX400/440, try those first and see if you get an improvement.

P.S, Love this kind of stuff I had a PCI celeron 333 back in the day LOL!

Pierre32, adz, shredder and 1 other person like this.
  11. badmofo

badmofo Member

I had some fun with the Ultimate Ultima 7 PC today - this thing hasn't seen the light of day in years but still runs like a champ.

I'm just making up projects at this point - today I decided to paint a minor scratch in the paintwork, which was a labor of love considering how much I hate painting things, and replace the CD-ROM face plate which had yellowed over the years (very slightly) (making up projects).

I was also confused to find that it no longer had an IDE -> CF adapter installed - I know it did have one and indeed I found the CF card that used to be in it (still loaded with games) sitting in my desk drawer but I can't for the life of me remember why I removed it. Anyway, I put it back in and it worked fine so fuck knows what historical me was playing at.

I also took this opportunity to give the plastic work a once over with this UV protectant I've been putting on my retro plastics for a while now - probably does nothing at all but it can't hurt.

There's not much this machine can do that my 233MHz Cyrix can't do better but there are a couple of games that the Cyrix is too fast for - Syndicate, Ultima 7 of course, Strip Poker 3 :weirdo:. I do really like it though, even if it's just for my history with it. This was the 486 that ended up filling the nostalgia bill for the 486 I had as a teen, although it occurs to me that I've owned this one for several years longer than the original, which of course was upgraded at every opportunity and abandoned without hesitation when something better came along.

The PS2 keyboard I was using was starting to piss me off so I broke out the Model M I rescued years ago - this is likewise still working perfectly after years of downtime in the shed.

P1060071.JPG P1060074.JPG P1060078.JPG P1060086.JPG P1060087.JPG P1060100.JPG

12. Vanne

Vanne Member

lolol!!!..

"Gay as" lololol... (not that there is anything wrong with that)

ahh man, you crack me up..

but yeah, had a similar rant a while back..
    I do play on some of those services, but I normally only pay for the main game, and then just hunt around a bit. Stormreach is like that, they throw everything at you to try and convince you out of your cash, which is now their model, and understandable, as you dont have to pay for the initial game any longer... Its still a nice game, even if you dont pay.

I pay monthly for a Minecraft server in the US, which i am in the process of moving it solely running from my place in DXB, i should have done that already last year, but the lazy ass in me, hasnt done it yet. though i have done things in place this month, so i am hoping that by the end of next month i can tell my hosting service to go jump in the lake, and pocket the 5 bucks/month myself. (I run a private MC service for the kids in our compound, my kids and about 35 others, id rather pay for that than having them online playing with god only knows) they are only little, and the players range from 6-15 years)

13. dacow

dacow Member

Your builds always look so immaculate badmofo!

adz likes this.
  14. badmofo

badmofo Member

Fussy pedantry FTW! I wish everything in life was as easy to keep ordered and functional as a well maintained computer! Now excuse me while I go and run defrag again.

Nice to see you BTW dacow, seems like it's been a while :thumbup:

dacow and adz like this.
  15. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Yep, beautiful stuff badmofo :thumbup:

Excellent info dump, cheers! Looks like a few things to pick through and try.

adz and dacow like this.
  16. dacow

dacow Member

Still lurking unfortunately not much retro activity over in my house, COVID means kids are almost a fulltime job!

I am getting the itch reading all the threads recently and almost tempted to get out my machines and start playing again! Just worried my 2yr old will go ham on them :( and drop crumbs everywhere!

adz, Vanne and deevus like this.
  17. Vanne

Vanne Member

Mofo, beaut machine mate. Prob does StarCraft, CnC and Warcraft perfectly.

badmofo likes this.
  18. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I agree with elvis' assessment. Anytime I've seen that on a screen (LCD included) its been a connection issue either with the cable or the connector on the card/motherboard. Sometimes you can wiggle the cable around or put pressure on the header and it will come good, other times its too far gone that no amount of movement provides a temporary fix.

I actually had a brand new motherboard do this not long ago on it's VGA port. Probably a poor solder join from the factory.

Utetopia likes this.
  19. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

My little Compaq CRT is having that issue intermittently - dropping the red channel. Sometimes a little tap brings it back. I suspect/hope it's a dry solder joint or something where the fixed VGA cable attaches internally. But I haven't figured out how to get the bugger open.

(Obligatory: I'm aware of the dangers of getting inside. Lucky for me it's childproof).

Utetopia likes this.
  20. Utetopia

Utetopia Member

Tbc, but i used 2 different leads and both outputs (D-Sub & DVI-A) on the screen. 2 different VGA cards, TI4800SE & X1950P.

When i rule things out i rule them out. I will try one more machine, cable & VGA card before figuring out the next move. Googling G520/P1110 issues has steered me in the direction of faulty power regulators, bad caps etc. That will be the next move.