1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

As always, a really nice PC badmofo.

If you blurred the photos, it'd look like it was a (very expensive) build log from the early 90s. :D

adz likes this.
  2. badmofo

badmofo Member

Ha I was thinking about that actually - I use an old DSLR that I hate (probably because I never RTFM) and I miss the good old days when photos left something to the imagination. LGR found a cool digital cam from the 90's in one of his thrifts episodes and the resulting pics warmed my heart; I'm going to keep an eye out.

RE LGR's thrift episodes - who knew watching a chubby American dude wander around Goodwill could be so addictive!

Pierre32 and adz like this.
  3. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

I watch with great envy at major op shop chains that have more than grey suits and nana's crockery.

4. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I had a Sega Digio SJ-1 digital camera that LGR looked sometime last year.

Hilariously bad, but very cool for the mid 1990s. It was a swap meet buy, someone selling a whole stack.

If I still had it, I'd send it to you to recreate a blurry, low res 90s build log. :D

adz and badmofo like this.
  5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

MUTMAN and Vanne like this.
  6. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

my QX9650 arrived yesterday but i was running other tasks on the PC and i had to do a 12 hour shift today but i'm super keen to put it through the motions. unfortunately the GFX card i had lined up for it seems to have fallen through and i need to rustle something else up. currently there's a 460GTX in it which is a bottleneck for the CPU i think, i want to get a modern card and run it on win10. I installed the QX9650 tonight, i thought i'd have to remove the motherboard because of the aftermarket cooler (big pure copper zalman) but managed without. at first i thought it wasn't posting but the TV turned itself off due to timeout lol.
    i've only run the CPU-Z benchmark to compare it to the Q6600 i had before. after it booted the first time windows wanted to reset immediately but i didn't let it. the initial benchmark was poor, single core was marginally faster but multi was slower. after i reset it was a good amount faster but i noticed it wasn't going past 2.66Ghz and i saw it was only running at 333/1333MHz FSB to i put it to 400MHz/1600MHz with an 8x multi for a mild overclock. it was running very cool under the HSF so i might keep turning the multi up, but the case airflow is poor.
    at the moment the specs are:
    GA-EX38-DS4
    4x2GB Kingston DDR2 800MHz
    QX9650@3.2GHz
    Zalman CNPS9500 AT
    460GTX - replacing with ???
    250gb DRAM-less SDD - replacing with old intel 520 240gb
    Win7 pro - replacing with win 10

the motherboard supports 1200MHz DDR2 which i haven't heard of tbh but then i did used to own Mushkin DDR 500MHz RAM. i might look into that to help the bottleneck but i imagine it's fairly rare and the CPU was already at the upper end of what i wanted to pay.

adz and Vanne like this.
  7. Vanne

Vanne Member

I wish someone like you would take this up. Honestly, after reading a few of those twitter responces, I shudder to think what would become of this.. :(

8. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

A Masters thesis could probably be built into vacation time and a sabbatical, but a Ph.D. takes much more work. I wonder if any of the big boys would be willing to fund it? Imagine having a thesis sponsored by Konami.

9. elvis

The person who supervises this - Professor Melanie Swalwell - knows her stuff. She's a complete authority on 80s homebrew in Australia, and has decades of research and a couple of books under her belt.

I don't think they'll flippantly accept any old goose for these positions. And I do think they'll be held to a very high standard.

Vanne likes this.
  10. shredder

shredder Member

What does a thesis on that topic look like? Does any similar such thing exist, as an example? Trying to get my head around exactly what their goal is.

11. elvis

Digital preservation is in itself an area of expertise. Practical applications are things like our National Archives, State Archives, National Film and Sound Archives, etc.

https://www.nfsa.gov.au/
    https://www.naa.gov.au/
    https://www.qld.gov.au/recreation/arts/heritage/archives
    https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/

There's various challenges there - digitising media that is analogue, persecuting analogue media, and preserving "born digital" media in ways that also ensure accessibility in the future (think: how do you run old software, old websites, old media, etc on modern platforms? Sometimes easy, sometimes really difficult).

Not for profits exist to help classify this material, like:

https://www.dpconline.org/our-work/bit-list

But as we move into a world where large corporates control media more and more (think: what happens to an old shoe box full of WW2 photos, versus what happens to a private Facebook account full of photos in 50 years time?), there's a lot of research that needs to go into standardising ways to find, preserve and access this media over time.

And that goes for anything. Emails, photos, music videos, tik toks, memes, video games. It's all relevant, especially when those platforms are documenting world events like protests and pandemics.

Specific to video games, not much difference there to any other entertainment art. Old movies, old music - all the same. Preserving the media itself is also only part of the picture. The other component is the ephemera around the media - advertising, fanzines, magazine, TV commercials, etc.

12. shredder

shredder Member

I see - all genuinely very interesting. I had wondered about what similar theses may look like, but after a quick Google and browse I see the obvious: like any doctoral thesis, it's simply an extremely detailed look at a particular chosen element of the subject. With a world of potential elements to choose from, as listed in your post.

I'm so busy just dealing with my own basics and hobbies. To do something like that I'd have to give up from my life other things I like, such as posting on OCAU.

Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  13. elvis

Like every hobby I guess, I'd love to do mine full time, with no financial/commercial pressure, at the pace and direction I want for myself.

The downside is the mortgage doesn't pay itself. The upside is I'll never be bored in retirement like the endless stream of people I see who can't think for themselves outside of their job.

Vanne, MUTMAN and adz like this.
  14. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Not just that. How do you preserve the cultural environment where the games became so popular?

15. power

power Member

that can only realistically be done through film.

16. shredder

shredder Member

Something I've read in fiction: VR environments simulating full retro experiences. Realism being tech-dependent.

17. elvis

I would say impossible for the 100% full experience, as these things are entirely ephemeral and based on a time and place. But at the same time, there are things we can do to build a part of that picture.

I think it truly needs to be multi-media. Emphasis on multi. Film helps enormously, but there are plenty of other things we can do in parallel to complete the experience.

No different to any museum exhibit that offers a wide range of both documentation and interactive items to help people understand a time/place/event/feeling.

Consider this project:
    http://arcade.hofle.com/

Someone's made MP3s you can download and play that are literally a cacophony of arcade noise. Sounds a little ridiculous, but if I play these at background noise levels, either while playing my own arcade machines or just even if I'm doing nothing and I close my eyes, I'm transported instantly to an environment of my youth.

All of the human sense are vitally important here, and we can use all of them to help build their own small part of a bigger picture.

Absolutely that can help as well, and following on I think VR will help enormously in the future. It won't be the only thing we can use, but it will be a big part of it.

There will be a day when the only way to experience an old console on a CRT will be a VR simulation (similar to what Sega offer now, but further advanced). Both market changes and COVID are already making a walk through a crowded arcade an impossible experience for many. Likewise there might even be a day when plugging in an ISA card to a motherboard is impossible to do in real life, and we need simulators like these: https://store.steampowered.com/app/621060/PC_Building_Simulator/

All of these things are useful. As useful as magazine and advertising scans, video documentaries and television news captures, accurate audio preservation, FPGA clones, emulators, etc, etc.

Take archive.org's amazing work at getting emulators running inside web browsers. These aren't the height of authentic accuracy, but they literally turn video games into a "research library" style experience where someone can get a quick idea of what a thing was like, before needing to invest in more complex options to investigate further.

Capturing the very brief and very unique time that was 20th century video games will vitally depend on all of these things, as well as expertise in capturing and storing it all, and most importantly making it accessible to everyone, not just the "nerd" technical elite like it is today.

All of this fascinates me endlessly, and I dream of one day being able to do it full time.

Vanne and shredder like this.
  18. elvis

adz likes this.
  19. shredder

shredder Member

Happily listening to the 1992 track reminds me that if you added together the work of all the Ryu-fireball quarter-circles ever done you could power a small city for 5.8 hours. (and what a waste the latter would be by comparison)

10 minutes into the track: did I say hours?

Re: preservation, it will be good when we reach that stage with VR, which will enable not just computer culture but entire diverse human cultures to be preserved. Essentially writing the book (not-a-book) of history to inform all that wish to look back, or who come after.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2020
  20. elvis

Who says we're not living in a VR simulation of the past right now, put in by our distant offspring? Maybe we just can't even tell the difference any more.

adz and MUTMAN like this.