1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

the timeline is all wrong ??
    wouldnt it be put in by those before us ?

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

No no. The *real* world is the year 3020. Our distant offspring have the technology capable to build a perfectly emulated copy of ancient Earth.

They built it, and let it run. I re-simulated all of our planet's reality from epoch until current 3020, but our opinion of that simulation is just our current state, stuck here in 2020, with time relative to our normality based on our own execution cycles.

I mean... I can neither prove nor disprove it. So I 'unno. I just occasionally look up and wave. Just in case. Just to freak them out and make them question whether or not we know what's going on.

https://m.xkcd.com/2221/

Vanne, Pierre32, adz and 1 other person like this.
  3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

sometimes i wonder if its like this

elvis and adz like this.
  4. badmofo

badmofo Member

If this is VR then whoever added the 'take your kids to the orthodontist' mini game is a total ass-hat

Vanne, dacow, adz and 2 others like this.
  5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

so this "keep your job during covid hidden room bonus round" is all part of the simulation ?

Vanne and adz like this.
  6. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

i hope they google the cheat codes soon

adz, MUTMAN and elvis like this.
  7. shredder

shredder Member

Yes I can well imagine Sim City having a Trump Button, right next to the tornado and fire etc.

elvis and MUTMAN like this.
  8. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

trump.jpg

elvis, Vanne, MUTMAN and 1 other person like this.
  9. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol.. the time event/pathways are limitless, or are they?
    My mind right now is reeling. (Though that's probably something to do with the fact I just spend the last 22 hours non stop in an aluminium tube, mostly at height.)

elvis and adz like this.
  10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

if 1978 taught me anything its that Superman can spin the earth backwards and go back in time but only for his own selfish needs.
    the rest of us just suck it up

elvis and adz like this.
  11. adicakes

adicakes Member

Did a tear down, clean and rebuild of this Coleco Frogger unit. I also have the Coleco Donkey Kong model, but mid-way through the Frogger work I decided to focus on Game & Watch collecting, so these will be sold to fund that instead. :)

Attached Files:

cdtoaster, bYrd, MUTMAN and 4 others like this.
  12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

what sick bastard designed it so the massive reset button is right out in front on that CP ?

13. adicakes

adicakes Member

Yeah, its a hardware reset too, spring loaded button - brutal. The Coleco games a nice, and they've got a charm of their own I suppose, but compared to G&W I kept thinking "Nah, these just don't have the same quality or character". I mean, a smarter control panel design would have the joystick in the middle since it's the only in-game control and it would suit everyone, whether you're left or right handed.

On the up side, the VFD screens in these Coleco units have done very well with time and still come up nice and vibrant. :)

14. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

without knowing, wouldnt that unit be more desirable as a collectable ?
    G&W are everywhere, while (i'm guessing) the coleco are a little bit rarer ?
    (i know some of the G&W are insanely rare and priced accordingly)

happy to be educated on this subject :)

15. adicakes

adicakes Member

Hmm, not sure about that. The Coleco tabletop games are pretty easy to find in the US marketplace, and I've never found the non-G&W alternatives to carry quite the same price tag when they're compared apples to apples. That would mean comparing Frogger to a G&W Tabletop model, like Mario's Cement Factory, and in that case the latter will command more dollars if they're in the same condition.

Maybe I should start a G&W appreciation thread, if there isn't already one? :) I'm certainly no guru, but I'm pretty handy at fixing the common problems they suffer (if fixable), and have collected a few over the time. ;)

MUTMAN likes this.
  16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

OK, I wasnt thinking the G&W tabletops. yer they are very snazzy :)
    start that thread mate, make me dig mine out and get some pics :)

17. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Settled on a solution for the Aptiva 2196, which came without its unique HDD & ODD brackets. Installing any legacy drives in here would require some kind of case modding, which I wanted to avoid all together on this machine. So I grabbed this 5.25 to 3.5 adapter for $5pp, which is nice and light, and will accommodate a 3.5" IDE-CF adapter.

IMG_20200730_205050.jpg

At the front I've used some sticky pads to keep it snug where it comes through the chassis. And at the rear, a little vertical post to hold it in position. This clamps to the tab on the floor of the case with washers. It's enough to hold it in place, and it can all be removed without a trace if needed.

IMG_20200730_205117.jpg

Not pictured is the existing CF adapter, which currently connects direct to the IDE port on the mobo, sitting vertically right behind the new tray with about 2mm clearance from it. Pretty tight, but lets me use the machine until the new 3.5 drive turns up.

Unless closing the case shorts something.

IMG_20200731_083943.jpg

There was a disk boot failure followed by the bad bad smell, and this is what I found when I opened it. I haven't been able to identify visually if the short occured by the new tray contacting the CF adapter, or the cable was just pinched. But enough current was pumped through it to melt it. Thankfully, it looks like it was only this cable that took one for the team - and everything still worked fine once it was replaced :wired:

Doesn't want to drill any harmless holes in his case... nearly burns the whole thing down :lol:

cdtoaster, Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  18. shredder

shredder Member

Shiiit.. that story took an unexpected twist Pierre32 ! Good that damage seems to be limited, makes you wonder what caused it though. This is why I don't like cramped cases, some brand name stuff (albeit sometimes fine machines) can be particularly so.

19. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Yeah, I've dodged a bullet at this point. No telling what unseen thermal damage I might have done though! I might have shortened the life of a component or two.

20. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

Where's the :eek: react smiley! I assume there isn't any lasting damage done?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020