1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Nothing visible apart from the cable. We'll see I guess.

2. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lucky mate, I've done that with a car or two..

Pierre32 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

Fingers crossed.

Pierre32 likes this.
  4. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I've been in a mobile device mood lately for some reason. I think it's because I've been reading early 2000s APC magazines, where PDAs were all the rage... :leet: Picked up this Palm Tungsten T5 recently, showing playing SimCity:

IMG20200801141415.jpg

It's in great condition (suggesting limited use...) and looks like it was last synced in 2010. Surprisingly, the battery life is excellent despite being 16 years old. I charged it last weekend and it's currently sitting on 60%. Syncs with my Windows 10 PC using Bluetooth. The PalmDB is a great resource for info, apps and games: https://palmdb.net

I was well and truly a Windows Mobile person at the time, and had a HP iPAQ PDA, then an iMate JasJam, Palm Treo 750 and a few other similar devices. I gotta say, that was the right call. Palm OS is clunky, graffiti is super old school and the specs are poor for a 2004 device. Still fund to mess around with!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    millsy, adz, Pierre32 and 2 others like this.
  5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

did/does that palm have any good games ?

i did have an hp ipaq at work but wasnt a big fan of the devices ... probably due to the work more than the devices limitations

6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Brought a 1947-1950 drill press today, to refurb.
    drill_press.jpg

7. shredder

shredder Member

What episode of Doctor Who was that in??? ;)

8. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Won't lie the moment I saw if I immediately thought of Alien.
    head.png

Pierre32, adz, badmofo and 1 other person like this.
  9. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm trying a few different games off the Palm DB website. Most seem to be slightly dubious ports. :lol:

adz and MUTMAN like this.
  10. Sir Didymus

Sir Didymus Member

Now THAT's retro.

11. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I pulled apart a Sony Walkman to find out why it was randomly moving the motor even when stop was pressed.

Turns out that the mechanism presses tiny pins into other tiny pins for switches, and one of them was sort of bent 0.0000001mm from the other one which explained why it didn't like stopping and the random activation from looking at it the wrong way.

so now the walkman works. even if after a head cleaning the audio quality is pretty shit, I can play tapes on the move! (haven't been able to do that since the 90's!

MUTMAN likes this.
  12. shredder

shredder Member

Somehow I still have my (Panasonic) walkman from a couple of decades back.

It came in handy some years ago when earthquakes took out the whole city's power and much of the phone network.

In times like that - with suddenly no computers, no internet, no phones, no TV - you realise what a boon it is to be able to stick a speaker in the headphone jack of the walkman - the one remaining radio in the house - and huddle around the radio news bulletins in the glow of candlelight in the middle of the night, to hear what has happened and is happening.

MUTMAN and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  13. badmofo

badmofo Member

I'm often tempted by walkmans but am 100% confident I'd just drop it in a drawer and never see it again, so I've settled for these rad retro looking bluetooth phones - they sound pretty good to this philistine's ears:

IMG_5349.JPG

14. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Oh it'll end up in a box with other stuff I'll never use. Along with a fully working discman I have too. :leet:
    for now it's just next to my VCR setup.
    also. NICE!

Last time I ended up with no power for an extended time I read an entire book by candlelight. This was before smartphones, and snake can only amuse for so long.
    I didn't care why there was no power. when it came back on some 13 hours later, I read the next book in the series I enjoyed it that much.
    if I lost power right now (and my phone died) I would probably prefer to read more books to escape from the real world than listening to ads and the disaster. :lol:

15. shredder

shredder Member

A serious earthquake in the middle of the night is a bit different ;) you are literally in fear of your life and house, and have to have some way of finding out where was the epicentre, what was the magnitude/depth, and are cities where your family members live still standing, is there a tsunami coming, etc.

This is what I mean - in a large-scale emergency or natural disaster, that walkman's radio tuner could be your only link to the outside world, for getting crucial civil alerts. For us, it was.

Settling in for a relaxing read wasn't hugely on the agenda at first, that night.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Pierre32 likes this.
  16. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

I was on the South Coast in the days following the NYE fires. No power, water, anything. A battery powered AM/FM radio was a godsend for local updates!

adz and shredder like this.
  17. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

It is a necessity in this country.

adz and Pierre32 like this.
  18. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

The new fire proof CF adapter turned up today, and the results are nice and neat.

upload_2020-8-3_19-3-8.png upload_2020-8-3_19-3-52.png

In the meantime I've had a think about what this machine is, and what it isn't. In the 3Dmark tests I previously ran, the onboard graphics pulled ahead of the MX440 in many tests - I guess because they're not PCI limited. Where the MX440 does pull ahead in real world use, it's in titles that the machine doesn't run well either way (like Half-Life). The games that do run well, don't need the Nvidia card to do that. So I freed up some spares:

- Removed the MX440
    - Removed the second 64MB stick of RAM I had put in
    - Dropped the 32GB CF card to 2GB

And that's what it is. A simple little machine for some bigscreen Doom/Build engine gaming, and maybe some pinball, strategy, and Entertainment Pack titles. There is actually a strange inner peace that comes from drawing a line in the sand, and not trying to throw the kitchen sink at everything.

19. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

A while back I made my best Athlon XP build homeless when I decided to use it's case for my daily PC (Antec Sonata) so the hardware in that build has been in a box since then (Asus A7N8X, 2400+, ATI 3850, etc)

Recently I picked up a lot off gumtree. Which included an Antec SLK2650-BQE So I've cleaned it up, as I often do:
    DSCF0112.JPG
    This new one (well the SLK on the left) has a few things that would keep me from using it in a modern build. (like only supporting an 80MM fan up front, and not having enough 3.5" bays, no dust filters and only a pair of USB ports) but it's still decent enough to use for any number of older builds.
    It's got a few scratches here and there which keep it from being truly beautiful, but next to the sonata, it'll look nice.

But now I've cleaned it up, I have to decide if I want to put the Socket A stuff back in it, or if I want to put one of my Athlon 64's in it. Gonna be a tough call that I'll have to sleep on.

I've also Handled a bomb today! In the same gumtree lot was a shaw case (not bad either, I'll clean it up and use it as well) but inside was this:
    DSCF0113.JPG
    If you know, you know, but I've cleaned it up as well for some reason (I may use it one day for shits and giggles, but unlikely)
    No inside pics because I'll be put on a worldwide terrorist watchlist for sharing bomb making recipes :lol:

Waste of 10 minutes cleaning it up, but at least I can say I now own the fabled Shaw 680W PSU:lol:

adz, BiggusDickus, cdtoaster and 3 others like this.
  20. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Nice :)

The old man's old video editing rig is an Asus P5B + Q6600 in an Antec Sonata. It's gathering dust now, and I'm waiting for my moment.

cdtoaster, MUTMAN and FIREWIRE1394 like this.