1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. bYrd

bYrd Member

Yawarra CF IDE adapters are the best quality, based in Australia - but I found it took them a good 10 days to ship, then the inevitable unknown shipping time. I'm just about done with the eBay style adapters being such poor quality.

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  2. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I've been listening to old tapes on my Walkman, It plays forward perfectly fine, but doesn't like reverse 100% which is not an issue for me.. I can just turn the tape over.
    Only thing better than old stuff, is getting to use NOS with it:
    DSCF0127.JPG Cleaning cassette was in a perfect box, so I suspect brand new (I bent the cardboard opening it) didn't exactly do much, but it sounds good enough. The tapes are from Macca's in 1994.
    Culture Beat, Zhané, Chill factor and Twenty4Seven aren't too bad. But it's the wrong Ace of Base song.

Started cleaning up more old parts while I grooved:
    DSCF0119.JPG

I'm now at loss of what to do next... I can't move there's so much stuff in here. So I've been working on a Playbill for shredder Presents Retro Computing the Musical.

Prologue: the abacus.
    Act 1 The 70's: The Mice of Men
    Act 2 The 80's: The Three Amiga's
    Act 3 The 90's: Fear and Loathing of Lost Wages
    Act 4 The 00's: Lord of the Pings, The 2 (Desktop) Towers. inspired by Agg.
    Act 5 The 10's: Toy Story RGB
    Epilogue: Phone support (It's just a bunch of hold music while the cast spins around in circles because of a needless software update and then once the update is done, the computer no longer works and the play ends)

I envision each act having 5-6 scenes. The prologue, 70's and 80's will be quite large due to the sheer amount of innovation, and will be a focus because they are really old.
    Intermission will be when the 80's end. After the intermission, and all the glitz and glamour of the 70's and 80's ending on a high note, we enter the 90's with Act 3 Scene 1 "Reality Bytes Back" this is the only song so far:

I built my first computer when I was 12 it was mostly second hand
    14 inch screen, keyboard, mouse and sixteen meg of RAM
    The world was now mine, The (Bill) Gates were open
    The feeling of elation and all I could now do.
    imagine my face when I first played doom two...
    From Games to music, CAD to typing
    that and so much more
    Up all night looking forward to Monkey Island four...
    Productivity, creativity, sometimes wasting time
    Staying up alone all night was usually just fine
    But sometimes things weren't peachy
    Sometimes things were shit
    I could have made so many friends, or to study I could commit
    I could have done so much those days, But
    my motherboard was ABIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    /Falls to knees dejected upon delivery of the word abit as all the lights dim out and a red hue resembling hell lights up.

After the horrors of faulty tech encompassed by Abit are dealt with, we'll surely need an upbeat song to show that old computing wasn't all bad.

I suggest a song called "The barrage of Canons" Which will of course be about all the good stuff Canon have made through the years and the company's successful transition from traditional media into the modern digital age.

That's all I've got so far.

Vanne, Pierre32, adz and 2 others like this.
  3. shredder

shredder Member

Jesus H. Christ :p

What monster have we birthed.

We'll be needing a band, fronted by Largo Lagrande,
    Whose natural reverb will be fed, by the bucket on his head.

There you go, that's my Grade A+++ contribution o' the day.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Vanne, adz and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  4. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I'll start working on Monkey Island the musical as well then. :lol:

Vanne and adz like this.
  5. RogerWiIco

RogerWiIco New Member

just went back and it wasn't on the shelf, damn staring at it all week and some1 happens to buy it now as I get the brilliant idea of a offer.

On my way out near the register it was right there inside in a locked cabinet with all the dvds! high value items lol anyway my 5 buck offer was accepted! now time to open it and clean inside and out, a nice little lockdown project

Vanne and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  6. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    MUTMAN and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i see you've worked for a government ICT provider before

Vanne and adz like this.
  8. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Not government... in ICT at least, but education :lol: which is even worse for needless updates (albeit far too late) and still breaks everything.

Vanne, adz and MUTMAN like this.
  9. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Haha! Love the tapes too.

Spitballing a closing number for Act 4: Everyone has RAID.

RAID RAID RAID RAID

10. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

:lol::lol::lol::lol: I'll work on that tonight when being at my desk hurts too much.

Maybe it can be a number in the 300GB THIS IS SATA! act.

Vanne and Pierre32 like this.
  11. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

:lol: endless pit of material.

Vanne likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

I would argue that Monkey Island is the musical ;)

13. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

We can do many musicals!

Shredder presents Retro computing the musical was going to be an original production, but now with Everyone has RAID! It’s gone into parody territory, hence we’ll now have 2 competing musicals anyway, so why not a monkey island one at the same time?

We’ll fill all the theatres in the world with computer and game musicals as soon as all the lockdowns end.

Vanne, Pierre32, MUTMAN and 1 other person like this.
  14. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Retrieved this guy from his other home while I was out erranding today.

- J-656VXB socket 7 mobo w/ Pentium 90
    - Diamond Stealth 3D 2000
    - Voodoo 1
    - ESS1868F

I tried to go all grey accessories in this since I didn't have the beige bits to fill it out. Turns out there are... many shades of grey. I think I'll give it a facelift in all black (just a CD ROM and two plates - there is no real need for the 5.25 floppy in here). Jury's out on whether I go beige or black for the 3.5 drive. Might take pics and put it to a vote.

upload_2020-8-6_17-17-17.png

15. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

my old 775 won't boot if i change the controller to run in AHCI mode so it's running the sata discs in IDE mode it seems - displaying them as primary master etc. do you need to install windows with it running in AHCI for it to work? it will start to load but always fails

16. Vanne

Vanne Member

Not completely sure, but my shuttle 775 system won't read any cd/dvd disks until I'm windows under ahci mode. So I installed Windows using a thumb drive. Works a treat.

Yeah you need to install in ahci mode.
    Try it from a usb install drive.

cdtoaster likes this.
  17. power

power Member

the reason is that the driver was never initialised in the OS, the controller in IDE mode uses a different driver to AHCI.

If you installed the OS with AHCI enabled this wouldn't happen (if it's W7 you'd likely need to either slipstream the AHCI driver or use the oldfloppy driver trickm similar to installing RAID).

The fix is to use another controller and then initialise a disk on the AHCI controller. The OS would then boot off the AHCI controller - hope that makes sense to you.

I believe a repair install may also work as it would initialise the driver in the OS. I don't really like repair installs but it'd get it going.

I believe people also edit the registry to do this too. See these guide/posts

https://superuser.com/questions/155...drivers-on-already-installed-windows-7/396609

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...ging-from-ide-to-achi.18001624/#post-13940673

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    hutts24, cdtoaster and Flamin Joe like this.
  18. oculi

oculi Member

Playing a board game with the kids and put on the tomb raider themesongs via Chromecast.

Miss 5 says "look daddy it's a Barbie with two cannons!" I guess I can see the resemblance.

Pierre32, genxor and adz like this.
  19. badmofo

badmofo Member

Lol that's bang on. My eldest confessed the other day that she was googling 'pene' pasta for Italian class but of course penne is the pasta, pene is the penis, so the search results surprised her. Oh how we laughed.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Pierre32 likes this.
  20. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol discovered this a couple of days ago upstairs in my kids bedroom. Disturbing :O and quite funny at the same time. I had to laugh.. my missus did not. IMG-20200806-WA0020.jpg