1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. badmofo

badmofo Member

Oh boy Vanne let's hope that was just part of some imaginary hair treatment process :shock:

Pierre32 and Vanne like this.
  2. oculi

oculi Member

Well at least it isn't a Jimmy hat.

Played a bit of TR1 on the PS3 after a few updates to show the kids because the CRT is in a cold room, miss 5 said "why is she a girl?" You are a boy" which was interesting as she has played as a male protagonist in a number of games.

Think it really needs to be played on a CRT, I think PS2 had some special emotional engine upscaling but it didn't look much different when I was deciding which PS to replay it on, before deciding to not bother.

3. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Is their another scandisk style app where I dont have to press ENTER to "FIX IT" every 10-15 seconds or do I just toss this 1.2gig seagate in the bin:confused:

hutts24 and Vanne like this.
  4. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

scandisk /autofix

https://web.csulb.edu/~murdock/scandisk.html

5. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Nah. dirkmirk just needs to get one of those drinking birds to keep pressing enter while they sleep or do other stuff.

I spent today checking and cleaning a bunch of PSU's.
    2 had some slightly bulging caps, and one had a total explosion a while back (onto the ewaste pile they go):
    DSCF0135.JPG

And for the fist time EVER, I've given up on a retro resto!
    I saved an Aerocool MATX case a while back.
    Looked pretty cool, so I saved it and I got to it today.
    It's got that SHITHOUSE "Premium Feel" rubber coating on the plastic that LOOKS shit after about 2 years, and IS shit after about 5 years and turns to a sticky, disgusting nightmare on anything it's used on:
    DSCF0139.JPG
    I started on a small spot, then felt that this shit was on the WHOLE front, top and bottom plastic panels.
    not just on the main bits, but in all the grooves and edges.
    FUCK THAT NOISE! I mean I've beaten this shit before... Including on a few Logitech keyboards and mice (LX something, V1 G15 etc etc)
    and a Gizmondo for a former friend when I was a bit younger (Points for anyone who Remembers the Gizmondo without looking it up or seen it recently on youtube)
    So good and or obscure stuff that's worth saving for one reason or another, sure.. but this is an Aerocool so neither good or obscure.
    So I sprayed the front with graffiti remover, and then wiped it down, this is what happened:
    DSCF0138.JPG
    PREMIUM FEEL RUBBER COATING, MMMMM!
    and when it dries, It will be plastic fused with rubber forever! Also had the added bonus of me getting High on Xylene:lol:

Vanne and BiggusDickus like this.
  6. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

That stuff is the absolute worst!

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I vote bin. There's too many good storage options out there to deal with storage that's already partially failed, and likely to get worse.

Vanne and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  8. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

For the first year it’s ok.
    Then it’s just horrible.
    And removing it isn’t TOO bad if it’s just a trim or edging, or even if the surface is a bit larger, but flat.
    But in tight gaps that can’t be easily polished, or huge areas of it. Yep. Absolutely horrible stuff.

On one keyboard I did, it came up beautiful because the horrible rubber had protected the beautiful, smooth and shiny plastic underneath for years, and the keyboard actually looked better than when it was brand new.

Pierre32 likes this.
  9. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

the registry stuff didn't work, my keys were already set to the values they tell you to change to. i just reinstalled windows cleanly, no biggie, i prefer having everything built up correctly from the ground up anyway. i'm sure i could have fixed it eventually but realistically it would have taken me more and always be at the back of my mind that it's not a clean install. now i'll see what benchmarks to run on it, someone gave me a free GTX970 which isn't retro but should cause a CPU bottleneck. specs are now QX9650 back down at 3.2GHz, 8gb DDR2 800 and the 970 on a EX38 motherboard. based on GN videos the missing instruction sets will be a big issue causing some applications to not run at all and others to run very slowly even when you take the poor IPC of older CPUs into account.

10. bYrd

bYrd Member

Yeah a "couple" of bad sectors might be worth keeping a drive it's a particularly odd/unique/ancient drive, but that's too many bad blocks and that bin is waiting.

11. shredder

shredder Member

Made me think of Norton Disk Doctor for the first time in awhile. Way, way back, when they sort of had real products.

But hell yeah, bad sectors on those drives are like rust, once they start poking up all over like that, you're toast.

Amazing how noisy the old HDD's are. I had a 40GB (I have drives a LOT older e.g. couple hundred meg ones, still) in my Pentium until recently. Upgraded it to an SD card adapter and the machine's db levels are now <half.

12. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Yes I was a big fan of Norton's early products. Norton Commander was my file manger of choice right throughout my DOS years and who can forget Norton Speed Disk. Soooooo satisfying to watch it do it's magic......:D

CpXwNbMWgAAopnz.jpeg

Pierre32, genxor and adz like this.
  13. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

It's not often I have to call on my Retro computing skills for legitemate (i.e Work) reasons, but yesterday was one of those days

Yes there are still DOS AT based stuff floating around doing proper work . In this case an ISA backplane industrial PC's unning DOS, The software is hard coded to address and work with the old ISA aquisition / I/O Cards inside, so can't just throw more modern hardware at it. without moving to an entirely new system.

The Mobo died on this one, but I'd already tracked down a replacement - Advantech PCA-6743 , https://advdownload.advantech.com/p...roduct - Datasheet/PCA-674320180910102746.pdf which runs one of these mysterious Vortex86DX CPU's I'd heard about but never played with.

IMG_20200806_131518 (1).png

Had a bit of drama getting one of the Acquisition cards to work.. custom designed in the early 90s no documentation for it, so not much to work with . In the end I set all the IRQ's I could get away with to Legacy/ISA from PnP , and success!.

Glad to know I can still keep these chugging along for as long as possible. :D

adz, rugger, Pierre32 and 7 others like this.
  14. hutts24

hutts24 Member

Normally you should be able to fix this problem by booting up in IDE mode, and running the setup program for the AHCI/SATA controller drivers, and then enable AHCI mode in the BIOS. If you don't have a setup program for the drivers, but have a zip file with .ini and .dll files, then you can unzip the files, right click on the .ini file and that SHOULD tell windows to install the driver so that when AHCI is enabled the 'new' controller is detected and Windows will use that.

The best way is to install Windows with AHCI enabled and load the AHCI driver from USB/CD/floppy during install (which it would seem you did in the end).

cdtoaster likes this.
  15. hutts24

hutts24 Member

Nice score on the Voodoo1. Great for some old DOS games like Tomb Raider. Have you noticed they run a lot hotter than Voodoo2?

16. rockofclay

rockofclay Member

Pull the neodiddliums and bin it.

17. shredder

shredder Member

18. Grant

Grant Member

Flamin Joe and MUTMAN like this.
  19. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

20. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

I haven't had the pleasure of comparing! (I haven't owned a Voodoo2).

I opened it up to remove the 5.25 floppy and install a black CD drive today, which spawned a side quest. The black drive was coming from the PIII box, and while that box was open, I happened to have a new arrival waiting to go in:

YMF744.png

https://www.philscomputerlab.com/yamaha-ymf744-pci-sound-card.html

I couldn't be happier with this card! No issues with my VIA chipset like I had with the SB0100. Perfect OPL3. Fantastic MIDI, so I don't feel the need to hang a Roland module off this box. And pretty great software to boot. I also installed PowerYMF for higher quality sound banks. Happy days. Sound cards are exciting.

[edit] eep, may have celebrated too soon. Seems I still have quite a list of games that aren't seeing the card.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
    adz and elvis like this.