What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

well i've done a couple of passes of memtest86+ and no issues so far.
    edit: 24 hours...
    IMG_20201022_184752.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  2. rugger

rugger Member

Seems memory isn't obviously broken.

I guess you move onto intelburntest to continue trying to break things :)

3. hutts24

hutts24 Member

Next time it does BSOD, take note of what it says. SOMETIMES there are hints as to what caused it. After RAM, I usually suspect Windows drivers. Does the BSOD only happen during hard work? If so, it could be the power supply. Hard drives can even cause a BSOD when a swapfile is on a dodgy disk - Windows swaps a page of memory to disk, later swaps it back into memory corrupted, executes code in that corrupted page and BSOD! If all else fails try doing a full surface scan on your disks.

4. rugger

rugger Member

Hard drive induced BSOD would be reasonably rare. Hard drives using Ultra DMA or better use CRC error detection over the IDE/SATA interface.

Typically what goes wrong are things like power supplies, video cards, motherboards, and once you start pushing the system hard enough, they stop working right. Even something as innocent as needing a touch more RAM voltage due to having 4 slots loaded can cause BSODs.

Intelburntest is pretty good at identifying if the CPU/memory/motherboard can handle full CPU load and power draw correctly. It also cycles the power usage/load, as errors can also occur during transitions between power usage levels.

If you don't think you have any problems with the power supply or video card, often just raising CPU/Chipset or RAM voltage up one step can bring a misbehaving system back from the brink. However, if it was working perfectly fine at some stage, I kinda doubt this is causing the problem.

5. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

the message is completely generic, it's not like those stop codes where you can look it up and it tells you it's the sound driver or similar. It crashed under all sorts of loads, sometimes only a web browser is open. A full surface scan was run on the windows disk, i'll do it for the secondary one too provided it doesn't crash.

I'll give the burn in test a try but you had mentioned earlier there's not much in the way of tracking what causes it to crash. i ran the CPU stress test in CPU-Z for what that's worth, the CPU didn't go over 60c and seemed fine.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  6. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Installed Voyetra Sequencer on the 386 so I can mess with my MIDI modules with something other than games. I'm no real muso, but I do have a guitar & MIDI keyboard kicking around.

The tutorial originally came on an audio cassette, which is now uploaded to Youtube. It was surprisingly effective at getting me up and running without any visual queues. Thanks, 90's narrator guy!

There is a small problem if you're using your SB as a MIDI interface: Evidently the SB will not do MIDI in and MIDI out at the same time. This means that if you're entering your amazing riffs with a MIDI keyboard, you do it in silence and don't get to hear it until until you play it back.

So the trick is to chain the keyboard through a MIDI module first, purely for monitoring purposes. Roland SC-55 to the rescue here, even though it's not a part of my 386 setup. Thanks to its dual inputs and Thru output, I can use it as a monitor for the keyboard while still leaving it in service connected to the Win98 box.

From the sequencer I can still drive the MT-32, TG100 or FB01, in tandem with Soundblaster FM which makes for a lot of possibilites.

I'm much more comfortable on a guitar than a keyboard. There are a few ways to use a guitar as a MIDI controller which are all expensive. But I saw last night that Gamesmen are selling Rock Band Mustangs for $87 shipped. Hmmmm!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rockban...r-Controller-NEW/333648070322?epid=1138426961

elvis and okclock123 like this.
  7. rugger

rugger Member

I finally got my old i7-2600k on Gigabyte Z68X-UD4-P3 board back ... was loaning it to a friend because his motherboard was broken.

This came from a roadside collection. The original owner threw it out because the PSU had stopped working.

So what does one do with a free i7-2600k when it gets placed onto the testbench, they overclock it to the moon. It's the only thing one is allowed to do with such a system.

4.4ghz base clock all core with a small tower cooler (Deepcool GAMMAXX 300). It is turbo boosting another 200mhz, to near on 4.6ghz, all core under IntelBurnTest workloads. Gonna crank it up another 200mhz, see where that ceiling is!

okclock123 and cdtoaster like this.
  8. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

the intelburntest ended up being super useful, it actually specifically said there's an issue which points at the CPU without crashing the whole PC. i put in a new CPU and initially the screen wouldn't come on so i thought it wasn't POSTing but somehow a issue was triggered in the monitor where i had to disconnect it from the power to accept on the DP input again.

anyway it's working now and seems to be stable. i had heaven running overnight but there was a power cut so i won't know for sure for a little while. it's a bit of a shame because the whole build was centered around seeing what i can do with the QX9650 but now i just have a Q8200.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  9. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I've been wanting to put together a Socket A system for a while, but have struggled with finding a working AGP card to my liking. Luckily adz came to the rescue, sending me a ASUS GeForce4 Ti4800SE in exchange for a Tseng Labs ET4000.

For some reason I thought a shiny NOS EZCool DT-02 HTPC case would be the ideal case for it, being circa 2007 and what would have been hardware potentially re-purposed for HTPC duties at that time. In terms of layout, it's the worst case I've encountered in my many years of putting together PCs, so it came with many regrets and lost skin.

IMG20201025115825.jpg

I already had a boxed Abit NF7-S V2.0 and a Athlon XP 3200+, so it was good to finally have a worthwhile home for them.

IMG20201025120036.jpg
    IMG20201025120132.jpg

In the end, I couldn't run any IDE or floppy drives due to the lack of space, so lucky for having two SATA ports to run a NEC AD-7200S DVD+-RW (a legendary drive back in the day) and a ADATA 32GB SATA2 SSD.

Last pieces of the puzzle were a Arctic Cooling Copper Silent 2L HSF and 2GB of PQI DDR400 RAM.

IMG20201025121655.jpg

I *HATE* putting on Socket A HSFs with the lack of a IHS, but it went fairly smoothly. The PQI RAM is super irritating as for some reason its SPD timings are wrong (should be a fairly lousy 3-4-4-8) but it managed to get into the BIOS despite the wildly optimistic SPD timings.

IMG20201026124456.jpg

Only thing left to rectify is the I/O backplate, which I've got hidden away somewhere. Fingers crossed I don't find it so I don't have to disassemble the f**king case again... :lol:

IMG20201026141459.jpg

10. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

i always get triggered whenever i see those northbridge fans, they're almost guaranteed to go noisy. i used to have a NF7-S circa 2008 but i don't think i could ever get it to boot off the SATA. it had the merlin custom bios that ran a 2500+ as a 3200+. awesome combo, wish i still had it.

11. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Luckily this board must not have been used much as the fan is still quiet.

I have a selection of 3 of the classic Zalman ZM-NB47J northbridge coolers if needed. Why 3? All taken off dead Abit NF7-S motherboards. Make of that what you will... :Paranoid:

12. Grant

Grant Member

I have a Socket A system that I bought new. The northbridge fan fairly quickly died, so I got a large passive heatsink, which works well assuming some kind of airflow already happening in the case - it doesn't get too hot.

13. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

Looking sharp :leet:

BuuBox likes this.
  14. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Question for all. Windows XP build, Asus P5B, Q6600. What video card do you go with?

15. Sir Didymus

Sir Didymus Member

I would say 8th or 9th Gen nVidia would do nicely.

Pierre32 likes this.
  16. power

power Member

GTX 980Ti.

rugger and Pierre32 like this.
  17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

rugger and Pierre32 like this.
  18. power

power Member

it's not a wine tasting, i just paired it with the card that would smash through the old games in style. :)

cdtoaster likes this.
  19. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

I've only got a 970 in my modern rig :lol:

MUTMAN and power like this.
  20. power

power Member

damn dude, the 970 is 6 years old :D

Pierre32 likes this.