What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Did you mean TB? I think eXoDOS is several TB now.

MAME's current "merged" release (the better compressed one) is 50+ GB just for the ROMs part. Hard disk images for arcade are several times that, and the "software list" for classic computers, consoles and mainframes several times bigger again.

2. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Not rick rollin...

That is pretty impressive upscaling.

Vanne likes this.
  3. badmofo

badmofo Member

Technically super impressive but also totally ruined the clip! I think it's more the high frame-rate adding the soap opera effect than the clarity.

Vanne likes this.
  4. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

tooooo late for that :)

badmofo likes this.
  5. elvis

Frame rate in video is a really tricky one. Almost impossible conversation to have on a PC Master Race forum too. But there's still very much a perception that above 24/25 FPS is getting into "home handycam" territory. And given what 48/50/60 FPS costs production companies in processing and storage, I don't think we'll see anyone trying it any time soon (Weta did, and it cost them a whole lot of money for zero gain).

XBox Series X is now offering higher frame rate games via backwards compatibility, but visually only. They can't change the engine frame rate of many games as it breaks them, so things like controller responsiveness won't change at all, even if they're visually faster. But I'll bet my bottom dollar the placebo effect kicks in hard and people will swear it "feels better", even though not a damned thing has changed for controller input or latency.

Vanne and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  6. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

That clip was ruined the day it was created.

7. Vanne

Vanne Member

Holy shit!!.. was Rick really that bad??? i remember swinging on the dance floor quite a few times to that clip... watching it now, makes it look like it was home recorded.. that said, thanks though Rick, definitively never gonna give you up.. lolol.. chicks dug it..

adz likes this.
  8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

20210221_143013_HDR.jpg

i'll pop the other pics into the G&W thread

but in summary, I picked a bad day to work in my nonairconditioned office up here in sweat town

9. elvis

Kudos to Vanne for accurately demonstrating typical public perception of high frame rate media.

Experiment complete, hypothesis proven correct.

adz, Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  10. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

It's definitely a thing. And the perception doesn't come from any kind of bias or stubbornness - it's pretty much programmed into the lizard brain. Thing reminds me of thing. Otherwise known as the soap opera effect, and I'm in that camp too.

There's a weird cognitive dissonance around it, because the juddery panning of 24fps movies bothers me and the silky liquid of 60fps+ gaming draws me in like a drug. But for some reason, apply that to a movie and it doesn't feel right.

MUTMAN likes this.
  11. megafat

megafat Member

The only way I'll accept 60fps for film, or anything else, is if it was filmed at that framerate and not done through interpolation.

I would still prefer 24/25FPS, but don't ruin a perfectly good video by changing it's framerate.

elvis and MUTMAN like this.
  12. rugger

rugger Member

Haha, I thought the framerate perfectly matched the campiness of the rest of the clip.

Rick Anstey was never high art. I find it really hard to get uptight about it and any molestation people do to the video.

baronbaldric, Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  13. mwd

mwd Member

Tested a Radeon 9800 Pro today that I got from ebay a few weeks ago. Unfortunately graphical corruption :(

baronbaldric, Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  14. elvis

I've worked in film and TV production for over a decade now, and I can confirm said thing.

I'm the same - high frame rate media just doesn't sit right with me. But I can't tell if it's just something I'm used to, or deeper than that.

Either way, I'm happy. Storage, compute and IO is a nightmare for production. Double the frame rate is double all of that, ten times the headaches, and a hundred times the cost.

Pierre32 and MUTMAN like this.
  15. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

imagine The Matrix in 60fps
    :sick:

16. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol not sure if thats an insult or compliment ;)

MUTMAN likes this.
  17. elvis

Haha, neither. Just very much proving the point.

As above, I'm the same (and so are millions of other people). 60Hz footage just looks "too real" to me, and not like cinema at all. But it's way too difficult to know if that's something built into my brain, or just my entire life of watching TV and film at 24/25/30Hz.

18. Vanne

Vanne Member

man, i dont even wanna think about that as that comes into the territory of being conditioned to be limited.. lolol.. :D anyways, i got more ECU hackxing to do... gotta fool the crc somehow, probably with padding.

19. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I'm really curious to what extent this is a sliding scale vs a hard cutoff....like, could we creep movies up to 30fps and still have them look cinematic?

elvis likes this.
  20. partybear

partybear Member

I don't watch tv, most of my watching is on youtube which is mainly 60fps. On the rare occasion that I watch a movie or something the low framerate is really obvious and off putting. I think it is just something you are used to, because from a viewers perspective the higher the framerate the better. Having said that the ai interpolated 60 fps looks a little bit weird but it still incredibly impressive what can already be done with the tech. It is just like how console players always say 30 fps is perfect but once you get used to 120+hz even 60 looks like a bit of a slide show.