What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Ironically I don't find 24fps particularly distracting on a TV unless the director has gotten confused and pans like it's the Formula 1. On the big screen, though, hoo boy....angular resolution be damned, there's something about objects jumping whole feet between frames that hurts my brain.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Quite literally the only audience that ever complain about the framerate of media are gamers (and PC gamers at that).

As I mentioned above, Weta attempted 48FPS (double the normal 24) with "The Hobbit", and it failed spectacularly. Audiences hated it, and it cost them tens of millions of dollars in production/rendering/storage that ate straight into their bottom line.

That won't change for modern media either. Social media and cloud companies ship hard disks into data centres by the literal truck load, and they're not scrambling to double everyone's framerate, and their resulting storage costs, for zero financial gain.

Film has additional elitism over the top with people like Scorsese pissing and moaning every day that film is a sacred art that shall not be touched, shall only be shown in cinemas, shall only be played in 24FPS, amen. So add that to the "it costs millions extra for no financial gain" problem above.

There's an enormous uphill battle on multiple fronts to get media past the standard framerates we see today. Video game audiences are very different, as is the financial impact of opting for higher framerates over lower resolutions (video game frames aren't stored anywhere, as they're generated on demand from source content sitting on a hard disk that doesn't change whether it's 30FPS or 300FPS).

Until "higher framerate = more profit", nothing will change for media.

3. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

way OT, but ....

I know the workflows would be in some crazy high res raw format, but ultimately it has to be stored somewhere for distribution in a number of resolutions (i'm guessing)

Has 8k changed the landscape elvis ?

4. elvis

Not yet. Almost everything is 4K currently (with "4K" being a family of resolutions, not what gamers and home TV users think is a single resolution).

My media work is split between VFX, film and preservation orgs. I was expecting the preservation mobs to start demanding 8K, but I've not anyone ask for more than 4K, and surprisingly HD/1080p/2K is still requested often as well, again because of the cost of processing and storage. Finding someone with an 8K film scanner is a difficult ask, and while there's cute little "Raspberry Pi with an SLR" rigs out there that do it, they work frame by frame, which doesn't cut it when you're doing thousands of reels of film at a time.

The codec is generally the bigger issue, with very high quality, high bitrate codecs being requested (sometimes lossless compression as well). I think for preservation of old media, that goes a longer way than resolution quite often. What we see as customers in the form of 4:2:0 H264/H265 aren't the "master" versions that get stored offline (usually as digital formats on LTO backup tapes, although Netflix are 100% cloud, and also 100% the exception to the rule in most things).

VFX and Film rarely go past 4K as well, mostly because of the sheer cost of production. I've even worked on films where all of the VFX components were done at 2K and then scaled up to match the 4K res of the rest of the film for cinematic release. Particularly in busy action sequences, nobody notices, which is somewhat hilarious. But the dollar cost of a quarter res (remembering that you scale in X and Y, so HD/2K to UHD/4K is actually 4 times the pixels, and about 16 times the dollar cost) is what drives those sorts of decisions.

Vanne, rugger and MUTMAN like this.
  5. rugger

rugger Member

I purchased a Pentium 75 CPU just for this, gotta wait for it to turn up now. It will have to go one of my spare socket 7 motherboards! Worked out a lot cheaper then buying yet another board with a low in Pentium CPU in it.

Will pair it with an Ark 1000 PCI (1meg) card for a nice 3.1 experience

baronbaldric, Pierre32 and adz like this.
  6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://github.com/Baron-von-Riedesel/DOS32pae
    This just dropped on my feed, what an awesome start. For those that might be in the dark PAE paging is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

baronbaldric likes this.
  7. rugger

rugger Member

I am left wondering how useful it could possibly be?

Maybe some industrial application that runs on top of FreeDOS, but also needs a shockingly large amount of memory.

baronbaldric likes this.
  8. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Had similar issues with an FX5200 a few months back, a quick trip to the preheated oven @ 180 degrees for a few minutes fixed it. Not so much a recommendation, but food for thought.

elvis, MUTMAN and mwd like this.
  9. hutts24

hutts24 Member

Probably not very, as existing 16bit won't be able to use it. Existing 32bit software using common DOS extenders might be able to use it if proper DPMI was implemented, but they won't need more than 3GB anyway. The only use would be for making new software to run on a very limited selection of 32bit platforms that have over 3GB of RAM and even then they won't be able to execute at ring 1 or 2, so you may as well write software for Linux or Windows that already do PAE on 32bit hosts.

baronbaldric likes this.
  10. elvis

That reminds me, I need to buy myself a cheap electric oven to try and fix a bunch of busted consoles.

11. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Has anyone arranged a Sendle pickup from a seller that doesn't post? Any experiences / tips on the process?

12. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

no personal experience. I've read in other AU forums that (using Pack Send) having the seller pack/box the gear is way cheaper

Pierre32 likes this.
  13. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Luckily this gent just wants me to send the label, so he seems happy to pack at least. I'm hand-wringing on the Sendle functionality. They don't have an explicit "pick up from someone else" option - just a pickup option which assumes the pickup address is yours.

S'pose all I can do is wait for the seller to send me his address, and have a crack at it.

14. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

where is this ?
    maybe someone here could do you a solid fav ?

also have a look at https://www.packsend.com.au/
    the audio freaks use thses guys without complaint (maybe price :) )

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    JidaiGeki likes this.
  15. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

I've had a good experience with them, so definitely an option too. If all else fails maybe a call out to OCAU could be on the cards :) Item is in Mornington, Vic.

16. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

You just need to temporarily change the pickup address (normally your address) and then enter it as the receiver.

The reason why it's like this is because Sendle is set up in a way to facilitate you (the account holder) to send parcels. I'm not sure of the reasoning but they don't encourage you to send the other way hence the lack of a pickup option.

It's a pain in the ass but there's nothing stopping you from doing it and it works perfectly fine. The Courier they book doesn't care it will get processed just like any other pickup job they get from Sendle.

baronbaldric, MUTMAN and Pierre32 like this.
  17. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Just what I needed to hear. Cheers!

JidaiGeki and Flamin Joe like this.
  18. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Trying to organise a courier here too. Unfortunately Pack n Send lists computers and monitors as goods they won't ship unless they are dropped off at a service centre, so that crosses them off the list. Going with Sendle as well, fingers crossed!

baronbaldric, Pierre32 and MUTMAN like this.
  19. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Dang, I didn't know that. Pack n Send did my Compaq all-in-one from Vic, but I think they had a special arrangement with the auction house.

My Sendle job is in too. Best of luck to both of us. Can't wait to post my thing, but I'm scared to count my chickens just yet.

baronbaldric, JidaiGeki and MUTMAN like this.
  20. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

I generally organise my own shipping thru TNT/FedEX, but it only works if the seller is willing to pack the item and has access to a printer to print out the shipping label. Most of the time the seller is quite accommodating, other times they've been super stubborn so I've had them deliver it to a Pack'N'Send depot. I've only had one seller out of hundreds that has been a pain to deal with, and I've called upon the help of a stranger to get the item shipped (paid them for the trouble of course, and returned the favor a few months later). The biggest item I've had shipped, and ironically the easiest item I've had shipped also, is the car in my avatar!

Pierre32 and rugger like this.