What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Well, I booked last night at 10.30pm and the courier picked up at 7am from the Sunshine Coast! However, the sender had just a simple printed address label on them rather than the Sendle generated ones, but the courier took them anyway ... so no tracking (or insurance I imagine) and now I have everything crossed that it gets here ... in one piece, not thousands (one of the boxes is a CRT)

baronbaldric, Vanne, Pierre32 and 2 others like this.
  2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

people are jerks

JidaiGeki and Flamin Joe like this.
  3. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

There would be a job number linked to the picking up of the parcel and they are going to need something to scan as it progresses through their system, so chances are they either reprint a label when it reaches the depot or put another label on. Either way there should be some tracking available it just may not be available to Sendle and in turn yourself immediately and may require enquiring to find out.

baronbaldric, JidaiGeki and MUTMAN like this.
  4. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Haha yeah sometimes, but in fairness this is mainly my fault. The sender only saw the label emails about half an hour after the courier came, and they arrived at 7am despite giving a pickup window of 8am to 6pm! I should have SMSed him last night, but it got pretty late and some people get tetchy about receiving late night SMSes instead of emails, etc.

baronbaldric and MUTMAN like this.
  5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I was generalising
    sorry, i'm a bit bent on the world today

JidaiGeki and Pierre32 like this.
  6. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Sending positive vibes. I'm still clawing my eyes out waiting for my pickup to appear in the system.

#sendlesupportgroup

MUTMAN and JidaiGeki like this.
  7. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

No worries mate, you take care! I was actually up late putting together a case against my bosses, so I get your drift ;)

Thanks Pierre!! Right back at ya #sendlesupportgroup

badmofo, Pierre32 and MUTMAN like this.
  8. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

PC people who have been through the wringer looking for old drivers, you might find this interesting. Exciting even.

Ever gone to soundcard-drivers.com and been frustrated by the thorough listings, but complete lack of actual links (except to their "Driver Easy" malware)? It turns out you can grab an ID out of the driver URL, then convert that to a driverguide or solvusoft address to get an actual link. However the success rate of that trick is going down over time too.

Now Vogons user Deksor, co-creator of http://www.win3x.org/uh19/, is in the process of scraping soundcard-drivers, video-drivers and others in the family to snatch every download that is still available for rehosting on UH19. He finished his work on on the soundcard site today, with 19GB acquired.

It's all happening, quite by accident, in this thread: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=79448

baronbaldric, adz, Vanne and 4 others like this.
  9. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Sendle saga! My order which was booked for pickup yesterday, was bumped to today then still not picked up. This is an EXCELLENT first customer experience.

Thankfully my seller, who never intended to be packing, sending and dealing with this, has the patience of a saint. Gotta bite my nails all weekend I guess.

10. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

edit - wrong link :(

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Pierre32 likes this.
  11. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

May the retro gods smile on you!

Luckily the courier in Qld has scanned the boxes I organised into the system despite the original labels being missing (as Flamin Joe mentioned) and so now there's tracking. Guess it will be delivered next week. Fingers crossed for you still Pierre!

Flamin Joe and Pierre32 like this.
  12. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

The biggest problem with Sendle and basically any Courier broker is that they are at the mercy of not only the Courier booked for the pickup but the individual contractor in that area. Sendle can do everything right by you but if the driver doing the actual pickup is lazy or just plain flat out busy, or there has been a break down in communication or some other delay with the Courier it's really out of their control. Being in a job where in a lot of cases I'm the middle man I can understand the position Sendle is in so anytime I've had issues with them over the years I've been using them (which has been few and far between) I'm happy to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Assuming it went Couriers Please (it's what the majority of my parcels have been shipped through Sendle especially to Sydney) don't be surprised if it rocks up on Monday. Brisbane to Sydney and vice versa via Couriers Please is usually next day delivery baring any unforseen delays.

Pierre32 and JidaiGeki like this.
  13. rugger

rugger Member

Been busy breaking stuff :(

a) Popped off the noisy glued-on heatsink on an intel Pentium MMX 233 ---> took a capacitor off the top of the CPU with it. Thankfully CPU seems to still work, and I was able to attach a large heatsink and cool it passively instead.
    b) Hard drive in the same computer also decided to crap itself. Seems like it was more a write/software error rather than a physical error, as an erase cycle on the drive has corrected it. But I have to reload all the software on this system now!

Pierre32, elvis and baronbaldric like this.
  14. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Now I know why I could hear someone yelling “faaaaaaaaaarrk” way off in the distance.

rugger, elvis and baronbaldric like this.
  15. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Turns out the silver KB I picked up for my Pavilion doesn't really match at all. Except the yellowed bits :lol:

upload_2021-3-1_8-39-23.png

This will be looking for a new home at some point, so it's had the stock mobo & CPU put back in (S370 Celeron 533), and was otherwise completely bare bones with no expansion cards. It's mandatory of course to include a few shareware games on such a setup, so I put some on last night - and that's when I realised the onboard Crystal CS4299 sound has zero DOS support.

To the rescue: A Sound Blaster CT4810 out of the pile, Creative's rebranded Ensoniq AudioPCI.

upload_2021-3-1_8-49-25.png

No frills, but it works. It was a good lesson in all things having their place. I previously saw this as a card that no one would really want (I mean, it doesn't sound very good). But now I have a fresh appreciation for the role it played at a certain point in history, cheaply restoring SB/DOS compatibility in hardware that was happy to leave it for dead. Thanks, CT4810. I like you now.

rugger, adz, Grant and 2 others like this.
  16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i used one as a door stop for many years
    :Paranoid: :sick:

rugger and Pierre32 like this.
  17. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

And this one's headed out the door :D (with love)

rugger and MUTMAN like this.
  18. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I was going to post this on the Amiga thread (based on recent discussion, not OCAU members who I think are all pretty awesome), but honestly it's everywhere in the retro hobbies, and not at all limited to one system or community.

Please, don't be this person. Welcome newbies with open arms, and patiently help them wherever you can.

20210301_133742.jpg

bolex17, DonutKing, genxor and 7 others like this.
  19. adicakes

adicakes Member

Had this MVS cart land from an eBay seller in Greece. :) It's in really nice condition, doesn't look like it's had the usual hard life of MVS carts on location. An original holo-label too! Great game to play, heaps of fun with two players. :leet:

IMG_20210227_173657676.jpg

Pierre32, genxor and MUTMAN like this.
  20. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Sendle saga! No pickup Thurs, Fri or Mon. My seller has now taken the damn thing to a Sendle drop off point himself. What a legend.