What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. rugger

rugger Member

Should send him a beer!

MUTMAN and Pierre32 like this.
  2. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

There is definitely going to be a gift card in the mail for him!

MUTMAN and rugger like this.
  3. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

That’s awesome that he intervened but Sendle should find out about that for courier feedback.

My stuff turned up the other day, all handled safely. No indication who the courier was but prob Couriers Please. Was originally put off booking them directly by bad reviews, but then reviews are usually only left by the dissatisfied ...

rugger, MUTMAN and Pierre32 like this.
  4. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Good to hear yours arrived safe :thumbup: It's definitely hard to get balanced reviews online - I'm also guilty of not saying anything unless I'm unhappy. But honestly I've had pretty excellent experiences with every company. Especially throughout 2020, working from home up in an apartment, with almost every delivery driver phoning and waiting for me to come downstairs. Might have gotten one or two "we missed you" cards all year.

Sendle is famously hard to contact personally, but in the dashboard they acknowledge missed pickups and mention their internal process to escalate with the courier company. So I'm confident that my missed 3 days will be going to someone's KPIs.

rugger and JidaiGeki like this.
  5. rugger

rugger Member

Everyone has a horror story with couriers.

But most of us don't really want to pay for better service ... and most of the time, it wouldn't be worth paying more.

6. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I wasn't aware I was paying for the "kick my shit around the back of the truck and lose 50% of it" service.

7. rugger

rugger Member

Haha, if you really lose that much in the post, then geeze, that is rough. For me, usually the odd lost packages turns up days or weeks later rather than actually be completely lost. Damage is also relatively rare, despite senders often doing their absolutely best to package items as poorly as possible.

Unfortunately, When you are paying $100 to ship a large parcel from one side of the country to the other, you are not paying much money for anyone in the process to really care about the box or it's contents.

If you want to make sure it gets transported safely, get it put into a pine box and properly packed in that pine box, then delivered using a transport company that handles bulk freight. Once you see the price on that, you won't be so upset about how much we pay couriers.

We use cardboard boxes and simple packing, and pay bottom rates for transport not because we want to be sure our goods make it wherever we send it, but because allowing some risk in transport generally provides the service at a much much cheaper cost.

8. badmofo

badmofo Member

I dropped a USB 2.0 card into my Socket 7 Cyrix machine today and was pleased to find that it worked without much fuss - NEC chipset, 3 port. I used the driver disk that came with it and was asked to insert the Win98 disk, but I still needed to install the 'nusb33e.exe' driver to get it going. I was stumped briefly when it was recognising my USB keys but not displaying them in Explorer - turns out I had the 'last drive' letter set to E in my config.sys, and I needed to bump that up a few letters to make room for the USB device.

Very pleased - I have an external CF card in this machine and can use floppies of course, but USB is easier than both for copying stuff back and forth.

adz, baronbaldric and Pierre32 like this.
  9. elvis

adz, badmofo and rugger like this.
  10. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

You're paying for delivery. The durability testing is thrown in for free.

GumbyNoTalent, MUTMAN and elvis like this.
  11. badmofo

badmofo Member

Yeah I've thought about it but my networking efforts always leave me in a rage. With an extension cable I can access the USB from the front of the machine so it's pretty dang easy.

12. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

I suspect that if the package is in a awkward pick-up location the courier drivers just ignore it and hope it will go away. When I purchased that load of ISA cards off Facebook last year it took nearly six weeks in total until it was finally picked up. Started with Sendle initially, then after 2 weeks of no movement I cancelled and went with Couriers Please. It took nearly 4 weeks and two complaint emails before it was finally picked up.

I'm sure if I went with one of the pricier options I wouldn't have experienced any issues, but Sendle, Couriers Please and Fastrack are all a little dodgy IMHO.

13. elvis

Anything that could make it less ragey? If I made something like a ready-to-go server/NAS image to load on a Pi and serve DOS and Win95 machines, would that help?

Just fishing for ideas to see if anyone wants this stuff, before I invest time in it.

14. badmofo

badmofo Member

Thanks heaps for the offer but it's just a general lack of interest from me I think - network cards, extra wiring, etc just not worth it for the types of file transfers I do. Pretty infrequent and rarely more than a couple of hundred MBs. My modern machine sits right next door so I can just wheel over and make a floppy / CD / and now USB - all part of the fun.

15. rugger

rugger Member

Lol, just had a thought about my server.

I better actually upgrade all the 2TB drives the server contains before the hard drives themselves become retro. (gotta be edging on at least 8 years old for some of them!)

16. partybear

partybear Member

Couriers never deliver to my house because I live out in the bush.
    I always request auspost if possible over a courier because they don't even take the stuff to the post office they just let it sit in their depot for weeks.

17. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

The short answer is probably not, so I wouldn't personally ask you to invest the time.

The longer answer: In my recent adventure with this, I had set up EtherDFS on an original Pi. It connected fine, but had issues communicating over the TP Link nano router I'm using to get my retros on the LAN via wifi. The dev himself confirmed potential issues with these gumby devices. So I brought it into the same room, then hit the next issue: Original Pi's will apparently not power an SSD via USB2, even with an adapter to use both ports. I tried with a USB stick as a stop-gap, but still had stability issues with file transfers. I decided my Pi was too retro, and not to invest more energy in that path.

If I do it, I'll do it with a proper 2 bay NAS, and one that has two NICs. That'll give me the peace of mind of two separate networks; one modern with all the security, and one retro with some naughty SMB1 and no internet access. And I'll probably do this at my next house, when I'll hopefully have a lot more choice in what I can locate where, and connect with Cat6.

baronbaldric and elvis like this.
  18. elvis

EtherDFS is quite interesting, as it runs over Layer 2 in the OSI. i.e.: it has no knowledge of IP addresses, and runs purely at the MAC address layer.

With that in mind, high latency devices and especially WiFi are very likely a great big no-no for EtherDFS. I would definitely recommend keeping it

1) On wired ethernet only, and

2) On the same physical switch, not uplinked through multiple switches.

Original Pis are also quite slow. I would definitely recommend an RPi3 or newer for a NAS device.

baronbaldric and Pierre32 like this.
  19. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Cost-wise there is definitely some appeal in upgrading to a Pi 3 or 4, using my existing SSD, and even adding a USB ethernet adapter for a second NIC. Bit uglier to integrate my spinning-disc media hoard into that setup though. I'll procrastinate on the issue for another year or so.

baronbaldric likes this.
  20. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Sendle is not a Courier they are a Courier broker who acts as a go between you and the Courier in order for any joe off the street to have access to Couriers at a cheap rate. So basically when you did this....

You basically booked Couriers Please through Sendle (taking a stab in the dark here as the majority of parcels I've booked has been CP especially in metro areas), then cancelled and then rebooked Couriers Please. There's a common dominator here which has held things up here and it's not Sendle. :)

I feel like I defend them far too much and probably sounds like I work for them lol, but at the end of the day (and this cannot be stressed enough) Sendle's service is only as good as the Courier they book it with and in turn the contractor in that particular area which can be a lottery. I honestly think a lot of the bad reviews they get are simply because people don't seem to fully understand how Sendle works and take all this into account when dealing with them. I've even had buyers on eBay comment to me that they've never heard of this "Sendle Courier" before and even had someone complain to me telling I should never use Sendle again because the "Sendle Courier" driver didn't knock. What Sendle driver? You mean the guy who rocked up in a Couriers Please van wearing a Couriers Please uniform and the box even having a Couriers Please label. Yeah that bloody Sendle! lol

For the record over the past few years I've sent 209 parcels via Sendle, never had a single pickup issue thanks to having a very reliable CP driver in my area. And in all the items I've sent there has only been one which was declared lost by the Courier but then miraculously was found and delivered so overall I can't recommend them enough. For what they do they provide a great service and it sure as hell beats Australia Post which I haven't touched for years since switching.

*end rant* :)

MUTMAN, Pierre32 and JidaiGeki like this.