What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Because writing new software was impossible.

Normally, ditto. I've just come to accept my weirdly shaped head.

But the ones I bought have deep inserts (oo-err) and a little loop that goes over the back of your ear, and they stay in there pretty well, even when I'm running.

These doodads (now cheaper again, it seems):

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32868918559.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dK0npTz

Plenty of reviews on the old YouTube.

Only downside is my stupid new phone with stupid USB-C only, so now I'm waiting for a USB-C to 3.5" doober from AliExpress to convert left side to right side.

The good news is there are folks working to improve the SC55 samples, which I'm very happy about. Thank you, amazing open source retro community!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  2. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

It was amazing! I upgraded from a (wish I still had it) Voodoo 3 3000 PCI to the GeForce 2 GTS and my frames went through the roof. I thought it was cool as it was the first card I ever got that had a little fan on the GPU.

I can't wear them. I don't know what it is, but the pressure in my ears just physically having them in there is just too painful.

i do have a lot of nerve damage as a result of ~10 years of undiagnosed diabetes.

3. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

https://www.jbl.com.au/JBL+DUETNC.html
    Switched to JBL Duet NC because they where bundled with S20ultra very comfy but with all over ear pads on a hot sweaty night my ears sweat, prior to this experience was always Sennheisers over ear FTW.

4. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

Slowly tidying my storage unit. Some day it will be usable and I'll actually spend some time with these babies instead of running around like a madman trying to sort through household stuff, my wife's artworks, and art supplies, and a few plastic tub-fulls of mismatched computing and gaming gear.

Uploaded this image from my iPhone to my shiny new Raspberry Pi "NAS" and attached it via SMB. Now I want a proper NAS.

IMG_7104.JPG

Vanne, adz, GumbyNoTalent and 5 others like this.
  5. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Nice collection. What sort of goodies are they packing?

6. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

1. A Mitsubishi which SLATYE gave me. Thanks again mate! Such a joy of a monitor. It fell off a shelf when we were moving, but it landed on a bunch of pillows that were lying under the shelf for some reason! Still works :D
    2. I wrote about cleaning and restoring this case at some point in this thread. Overall a pretty uneventful build which I did around 2017ish. I want to dismantle it and sell off the case. I wanted this to be an ultimate Ultima VII machine with a 486 33MHz. But these days even I feel that having a separate computer for one game is silly. It has an IDE2SD for a hard drive powered by a controller card JidaiGeki gave me. Thanks again!
    3. A very lovely 286, will do a proper dismantle and reveal of the components on the forums later. It has a VGA card and an SB16 and I really want to downgrade it to EGA and an older/simpler SB. Will use one of those new white cards if there are any for sale by the time I decide to work on this machine. Otherwise, I will just use a PC speaker. I have SB 2.0, but the digital audio part of it is dead. Sad times. I acquired an EGA monitor for this computer too as a part of a retro hardware haul some 2 years ago. Hunting down an EGA card was harder, bought it almost a year ago! But then the babies came and I didn't find time to put it in yet... I do take my time with this hobby. This computer has a pretty interesting set of software on it's hard drive: some funky retro launcher and a bunch of matching games. Looking forward to have a closer look.
    4. Mystery box! Haven't opened it yet. Reveal later. Seller on eBay described it as "Vintage 1990s Pentium S Computer". Bought it on eBay in early 2020 and abandoned it due to babies arrival.
    5. Mystery box! Haven't opened it yet. Snagged it as a part of a haul. Reveal later.
    6. This build over here. Backplate provided by adz. Thank you! Still haven't decided what soldering station to buy to do a PSU recap so this project is loved, but sadly is on a backburner. Ultimately I'd love to put a DVI header on the Matrox to try to use a DVI2HDMI converter but looks like they are incredibly rare. I found one on eBay US for around $100-something shipped, but thought it too much and then lost the link... :o It also needs a better CPU but they are impossible to find these days too.
    7. An average-looking AcerView 76c 7276c 17" from the late 90s/early00s. Will pair this with a PIII/Matrox build. Not a fan, but I have it so it'll do.

Items 3, 4, and 7 acquired as part of a late 2019-early-2020 haul. Bought a massive lot from a retired telecom engineer. He left some gear for himself to play with later. His family were not happy as they thought I'm taking the entire lot!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
    Vanne, rugger, JidaiGeki and 4 others like this.
  7. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

8. The black ASI box is an XP OEM box. Apparently, ASI is an Australian OEM! My postie gave it to me for free when he learned what are all these boxes I keep receiving in the post lol.
    Needs some love as it has some bulging caps on the mobo. But it works!

rugger, JidaiGeki, Pierre32 and 2 others like this.
  8. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

1 & 7. I have an Acer CRT almost identical to yours. It has an additional blue face button, the i key. Very fancy. And it has survived a good fall - rolling off the bed I placed it on for a moment and hitting the ground. No pillows. Still seems ok. I have the same view of mine: It's not sexy, but I own it, so yeah.

2. Cool. I like that retro-futuristic style.

3. With my recent SB2.0 pickup I'm having dark thoughts of a 286 build too. I want Hercules graphics for some sick reason, but monitor attainability will probably prevent that.

4 & 5. Beauties. Open them and spill the beans soon!

6. Ah yes, that build. A fine steed.

8. Good postie!

baronbaldric likes this.
  9. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

You're very welcome, I remember seeing Ultima run on that machine at yours too! Glad the controller still works :D

And the Acer 76c was the first type of monitor I bought out of my own pocket - in 1998, as part of a PII 300 setup. It still has that fishbowl vibe, it was just nice having extra screen real estate!

baronbaldric likes this.
  10. Vanne

Vanne Member

Hmm, that kimda re-enforces the fact that i need/must clean up my games room... waaaay past due, as boxes of..stuff.. now stacked everywhere... :(

baronbaldric likes this.
  11. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Last week when I posted my Covox recordings in another chat haunt (where I'm the only retro weirdo) one guy, who is a techno nerd/DJ/promoter, was completely taken with the Commander Hayes theme from Star Control 2. So I did a capture off the GUS, along with a couple of other tunes from the game that were requested. No need for me to upload them elsewhere as plenty of others have done it - but it felt excellent to spread the love to a new fan of the music!

baronbaldric, badmofo and MUTMAN like this.
  12. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Dug my old early 2000s PC out of the shed just now, oh the memories.

AOpen H600A case, was modified in the day for watercooling with a tiny radiator at the front under the HDD cage. The WC setup is long gone, replaced with a super loud Delta 120mm fan, and another Delta 120mm fan on the top. Cold cathode blue tubes inside, and the obligatory side panel window with the original HL:CS logo stuck on the inside.

The innards are standard fare for the era:

AMD Athlon 2000+, 768MB DDR400, ASUS A7S333 (SiS745 chipset), GeForce FX5500, 80GB Seagate IDE, Pioneer DVDRW, and a 400w PSU.

If memory serves, this was my testing PC for many years - started life as my main PC for around 6 months before I returned to Intel offerings, but kept this as it was robust and easy to work with. I am fairly sure I always ran WinXP on this one, be interesting to boot it up (after performing some maintenance) and see what state the OS is in.

PXL_20210314_051624824.jpg

PXL_20210314_053911576.jpg

baronbaldric, adz, Pierre32 and 2 others like this.
  13. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

A few nights ago I removed an older Osborne 486SX33 machine I had in the shed (along with the above mentioned PC, and my two others).

Unfortunately, the old girl is beyond repair. The nasty Varta Ni-Cd battery has claimed yet another victim, and the board is toast. Not all is lost though, I have salvaged the 2x CD drives, the HDD, the FDD, and ESS sound card from it. I've also removed the DRAM chips and saved them for anyone in Perth who wants them, I cannot guarantee their usefulness or if they even work.

PXL_20210311_120927698.jpg PXL_20210311_120945847.jpg PXL_20210311_120959075.jpg PXL_20210313_053632333.jpg PXL_20210313_053827319.jpg PXL_20210313_054223451.jpg PXL_20210313_062313972.jpg

14. RogerWiIco

RogerWiIco Member

ouch what a shame :(

15. rugger

rugger Member

Will the osbourne case fit another AT motherboard in it? Could still get some use from it.

16. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Nah its a proprietary fit, similar to Compaq's and IBM's of the same era.

The case has also suffered from the leaky battery, and left a stain with decent rust on the underside about the size of a 5 dollar note.

17. RogerWiIco

RogerWiIco Member

Probably best stripped for any useful parts, its probably fixable but amount of time and effort is very big

18. rugger

rugger Member

Thats a shame regarding proprietary fit. I guess you strip it of parts, soak it in some vinegar to stop further corrosion, clean it off then chuck it into the donor board pile (useful for sockets and other parts to fix more repairable boards)

If the case could fit a standard motherboard, I'd be in there with a scrubber removing the rust and possibly repainting it if required :) AT cases are coming rarer, it would be a shame to throw any out now over cosmetic concerns.

RogerWiIco likes this.
  19. RogerWiIco

RogerWiIco Member

The best you could do with the case is turn it into a project, proprietary AT to generic. The psu no doubt is non standard shape so would need to hack that space. Then the case might not be tall enough to fit all your isa cards as its designed for a riser extension for the motherboard (looks like it)
    If it had a nice turbo led display id be tempted to try myself

20. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Correct - has a riser card for ISA expansion slots.

I've stripped out what I can, happy for a Perth member to take the board for donor parts beyond the now missing DRAM chips.