What retro activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. breech

breech Member

Have you had to recap it and pulled out the Varta?

2. mwd

mwd Member

I've done a new video. AMD K6-2 300MHz comparing running at 66 vs 100 MHz FSB.

cdtoaster, MUTMAN, adz and 4 others like this.
  3. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

Something I've been meaning to do for a long time is sort out my big box game collection, this is the result so far:

games.jpg
    The collection is two rows deep, the games I enjoy most take the front row, I still have a few CD's that I know I have boxes for somewhere, but that's a problem for another day...

cdtoaster, BuuBox, badmofo and 5 others like this.
  4. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Tyrian big box

toy-story-quotes.gif

cdtoaster and adz like this.
  5. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

breech, Vanne, MUTMAN and 2 others like this.
  6. Vanne

Vanne Member

Awesome game, I had it on the c64.
    o_rileys_mine_02.png

O'Reilly's Mine.. lol blast from the past.. c16 version looks heaps better..
    screenshot_00.jpg

s-l400 (1).jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Flamin Joe likes this.
  7. bYrd

bYrd Member

You've dodged the pressing question that we all want to know. Mr. adz, next to Tyrian, what's the big box game you removed - was it a guilty pleasure like Jack Nicklaus Unlimited Golf, Rise of the Robots or Gayblade?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    adz, Vanne, Flamin Joe and 1 other person like this.
  8. rugger

rugger Member

Not quite sure if it is retro or not, but I fixed my xbox 360 wireless receiver.

The 0-ohm input resistor likes to blow on them. Replacing it fixes it.

9. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

images.jpeg

:lol:

cdtoaster, BuuBox, Vanne and 7 others like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge :lol:

elvis, BuuBox, Pierre32 and 3 others like this.
  11. badmofo

badmofo Member

I've been messing around with the DOS version of the SMS emulator 'MEKA' on my Cyrix MII 300 machine again, I never was 100% happy with the smoothness of it. This is all specific to my machine so irrelevant really but if anyone's trying this out with a similar spec'd machine then it maybe useful - a couple of things that I determined:

- version 0.51 (not the latest) gave the best balance b/w features and speed. The later version (0.70) seems to have more demanding audio emulation so makes some games hitch annoyingly.
    - use VESA 3.0 for best performance; I needed to use UniVBE to achieve that with my system.
    - use UniRefresh or something to increase the refresh rate as much as possible (I'm using 130Hz) (CRT obviously); could be just my machine but the emulator seems to be tied to the refresh rate despite me not using vsync (I'm using the 'page flip' option because it's less demanding)

adz and Vanne like this.
  12. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Nope.. its still sitting in the cupboard waiting for some free time for me to focus on it. Once I pull it apart (its needs a serious dose of retrobrite) I'll work through the list of fix ups.

13. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Spent a bit of time yesterday trying to work out just why I couldn't get a stable Pokey divisor 1 for high speed SIO data transfer from RespeQt or FujiNet-PC. Tried everything, no matter what I did I just couldn't get anything below divisor 5 stable.

In the end I removed the caps (yes, they look like resistors, they're actually capacitors) off the SIO data in/out lines and lo and behold, divisor 1 rock stable from both RespeQt and FujiNet-PC at 110,598 B/sec!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Vanne and adz like this.
  14. shane41

shane41 Member

Dumpster dive today. Save some old beige boxes.
    BUT. The interest is about 5 monitors CRT circa 2000 ... just no space darnit

baronbaldric, adz and Pierre32 like this.
  15. badmofo

badmofo Member

I tried out this excellent patch that some dude has linked to on Vogons for Ultima VII - a game that's notoriously speed sensitive and difficult to slow down smoothly. The patch implements a frame limiter which not only makes the game run at a reasonable speed (possible with slow-down utils) but also removes the hitching that the game does even on period correct hardware. What a world:

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=80564

baronbaldric, adz, Flamin Joe and 2 others like this.
  16. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Does anyone collate all of these patches centrally somewhere?

For example, you can go to romhacking.net and find patches, hacks, translations and mods for almost any console game ever made (even into modern optical systems). Is there a PC equivalent?

Daft_Munt likes this.
  17. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Here's the $30 PIII system I grabbed from Gumtree last Friday. It was listed as having mobo or PSU issues, with random shutdowns. I've really just been after a case (at this exact size and price) but a potentially fixable S370 933mhz system with AGP would just have to do.

IMG_20210418_103137.jpg IMG_20210418_103218.jpg IMG_20210418_103151.jpg

Reading that lovely Packard Bell sticker gave me pause. I'd prefer not to separate an OEM system like this if it can be restored. Did it still have the original TNT2 in there? Does this mean I still won't have a case for my homeless PIII board?

These questions were answered within. The TNT2 is long gone, replaced with a Radeon 9200SE. HDD and RAM have been upgraded. And the likely reason for the board's instability is visible.

IMG_20210418_103626.jpg IMG_20210418_105127.jpg

Out to the recapping queue with you then. And in with the humble board that andrewbt kindly sent recently when I found myself with a loose PIII 1ghz. The board is PCI only, but this suits me for the moment as I haven't had the chance to put my PCI MX440 or FX5200 through their paces.

It will be good to get the original board fixed sooner or later though, regain the AGP slot and dust off the Ti4200.

BiggusDickus, rugger, Vanne and 8 others like this.
  18. shane41

shane41 Member

I know the 2 on the right are important to save.
    Question is these old monitors. There is one like 10 inch high 14 inch wide. Yeah that old school screen.
    Then there is some type of keyboard. Very early is my guess 4" thick. A programming thing. Fluid would like this

[​IMG]

mAJORD, rugger, Vanne and 1 other person like this.
  19. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Need more pics! Interested to see the monitors and keyboard.

20. shane41

shane41 Member

That's in the forbidden zone if you get my drift. :Paranoid: I'll just have to be a dastardly bandit before they
    see a dirt nap.