1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

What Retro / Arcade Games have you been playing lately? [Post Pics]

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by DeusCore, Aug 6, 2010.

1. zerosoma

zerosoma Member

i hear you on that, that game is gonna suck as an fps. recently played through shadowrun on the snes, love the atmosphere of that game. also spent a fair bit of time perfecting my flights on pilotwings64 and blowing up stuff in blast corps - a very underrated game.

2. Reaper

Reaper Member

Wah! We got deus-ex HR!

Why a fps? It's more console friendly. :mad:

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yeah I'm pretty much convinced it's all about the business/money side of things.

I mean, I'm a pragmatist - artists and developers need to eat and pay the mortgage. But yeah, I'm just disappointed that it was so inevitable and pandering to people who don't remember the original game.

Which really raises the question: why bother using that IP if the target market don't even remember the original?

4. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

This is my feeling as well. They are doing the same thing to XCOM:

Rather than a squad tactics game like the rest of the XCOM series, this looks like a COD reskin. That video has more dislikes than likes.

Maybe it will be a competent shooter in its own right, but why dig up an old franchise if you aren't going to be remotely true to the original? All you've done is got the fans of the franchise offside straight away... and most COD fans will never have even heard of, let alone played the original games, I'd wager.

Or are the devs/producers so lacking for ideas that they just can't think of a name for their latest COD clone and dug through their bin of licences and said 'this'll do'?

Deus Ex:HR is actually pretty true to the original and a great game in its own right. It's the only game made in the last couple of years that I've finished and then started again straight away. Definitely my GOTY for 2011.

But if I buy a game called Syndicate or XCOM I'd expect it to be a squad tactics game, not a shooter.

5. Reaper

Reaper Member

That's really it for xcom? Looks 4 years too late. Man those graphics suck.

I guess I didn't make it come across properly, yea, I know Deus ex hr is a great game, what I was getting at is that the abortion they call syndicate looked like a direct rip off of Deus ex. ;)

At least if they were going to fps syndicate make it 4 player co-op.

6. Reaper

Reaper Member

And the crap they push is all we get if that is their only ambition. Just enough to live. Just another job. They had a chance to make something awesome and end up better for it, but no. They want the contrived mediocre. :mad: :mad: :mad: Yea, the stranglehold of the chum factory called EA plays a part too. I feel even more sorry for this generation. I can't really imagine what games they'll be reflecting on in 15-20 years.

7. PhantomAU

PhantomAU Member

8. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Thanks for that, I'll be watching that with keen interest :thumbup:

9. xsive

xsive Member

On the bright side: those old classics are still here. You can still play them and love them just like you once did. Also, even though there may not be many noteworthy AAA titles, there are *plenty* of modern classics coming from indie developers on portable platforms. I think it's much more productive to support those than bemoan cash-grabs like the new Syndicate title.

Of couse, if that doesn't work, we can always hit the streets with burning torches and pitchforks: Death to the brown shooter and death to EA! :p

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool