1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

What retro computer activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. shane41

shane41 Member

2. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Didn't do much lately. Mostly tidying up my lab, it looked like a bomb exploded :)

Waiting for some lighting gear from eBay, should improve my videos a little bit.

3. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

over the weekend i opened up about 100 cib megadrive carts and cleaned their pins with the eraser trick.

last few weeks I've cleaned about 30~ odd Gameboy, 50~ N64, 70~ Nes and 100~ snes carts.

at first I got the Papermate erasers which are no good because they have some whiteout feature that makes them all smudgey, then got the propr plain ol traditional Staedtler ones and they work a treat.

Still got a number of CIB nes/snes/nes and loose megadrive carts to pin clean.

4. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Thanks Phil, I did download these, and went back to basics after my Win95 installation went awry. Haven't used the menu system in your config files, but did use the drivers, and have a few ideas to tinker with the menu too for specific games.

With a vanilla setup I managed to get SB16/SB Pro/SB sound working in Ultima Underworld (used a CD version this time, not the old floppy one), but not the digitized speech. I did also take your advice and took out the MIDI interface, and will also keep Windows on a separate drive :thumbup::thumbup:

5. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Speech not working is usually an IRQ setting issue.

What resources is your card using? Is it an old cards with jumpers? Or a new one with Plug and Play? Or a software configurable jumper-less card (Some SB16 for example)

Did you install the Sound Blaster drivers? They can be had from the Creative website. SBBASIC and CTCMBBS if your card is PnP.

PS: How awesome is Need for Speed? It still gives me a better sense of driving than many modern games. The sound is awesome.

6. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Great advice Phil, I changed the IRQ and it finally worked!

I have a CT1740, so pre-PNP. The IRQ jumpers were set to 7, and the BLASTER variable to 7 as well. The card's default IRQ is 5 though, when I changed all the settings back to 5 it worked great in UU. The UU installer did suggest that the Sound Blaster default IRQ was 7, which matched my settings at the time. Must say that the intro video voice acting is ... a bit hammy, but great to have it running properly. Managed to convince the wife I was troubleshooting rather than playing games ;)

Ah yes NFS is awesome :D spent so many hours with it back in the day - but I've forgotten the layout of the tracks now. Agreed about the immersion and sound, also loved the attention to detail with the car vids. Speaking of driving sims, here's my little present to myself from earlier this year

[​IMG]

Also got the shifter - replacing an RS system that I owned many years ago. Just waiting for the right time to crack it open!

7. jmannik

jmannik Member

Yesterday I pulled one of my IBM Personal Computer 330 machines out of the shed to start finally working on it.
    Seems I have a bit of work to do to clean it up as I have a lock up issue on it.
    I will take some pictures and do a more thorough post about it tonight after work.
    Zebu will be grabbing some off me too soon... probably after he moves into his new house :p

8. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Odd, I know that UU works fine with SB set to 7. But you need to run the SETUP or INSTALL tool and confirm the settings.

But anyway, it's working now :thumbup:

Incoming Tweak Guide GOG

Wow, what a great game, but what a poor GOG release. This game simply does not work well out of the box. Really questioning why they chose to release it.

On modern AMD cards, the game will not even launch. And on Nvidia and Intel cards, there is corrupted graphics on the HUD / user interface elements.

In this Tweak Guide I am showing you how to:

- Increase the resolution to 1024 x 768
    - Configure display scaling settings for a proper 4:3 aspect ratio correct image
    - Fix the game not launching with AMD cards
    - Fix the corrupt graphics with Nvidia and Intel cards
    - My recommendations for input controls for this game

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  9. jmannik

jmannik Member

10. mookie3three

mookie3three Member

The best method is Isopropyl alcohol and a q-tip. Much easier than an eraser.

11. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Thats how i used to clean the carts, but i go through too much isopro and didnt find the carts read sucess rate was any better.

eraser is slow but cheap way, as long as you have the gamebits (powered screw driver helps too) and patience.

I found a few with corrosion and acidic gunk built up around the soldering so opening them all up at least once seems a good idea for me, allowed me to neutralize that.

also quite a few with sticky gunk in just beyond pins where the housing enclosed the main part of the pcb. plus remove any rattly plastic in any carts also :)

12. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Better than isopropyl is this stuff:
    http://www.jaycar.com.au/Service-Ai...onic-Circuit-Board-Cleaner-Spray-Can/p/NA1008

I've had success with it where any other solvent has failed me. Use the long tube attachment to spray it direct on the cart pins, clean it up with a Q-tip. Let it dry, and off you go.

Best of all, it won't eat the plastic like contact cleaner or other solvents might over time. I use the same stuff for cleaning up dirt, grease and flux from my soldering work, and it's magic. Ditto for any old retro project where I'm cleaning up hardware.

13. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

i use contact cleaner for specific applications, if i have to restore a really nasty gunky board, i would confidently give it a full spray down with that stuff, its magic.

i use ispopro for specific purposes also it is great for sterilizing controllers, getting hand gunk out of tiny grooves etc, and vinegar for anti corrosion purposes.

I sparingly use magic eraser on certain plastics and surfaces to also restore stuff (used with care because it can strip away plastic layers real easily, scratch glossy, etc)

I just use classic pencil erasers now for at least the first time I clean pins on carts now as I saw it suggested on here and really does work a major treat. Its wonderful for anywhere where you have a contact pad on a pcb you want to shine up real conductive like. :)

14. eviladrian

eviladrian Member

Now to spend the rest of the day hoping someone comments on my shirt...

Click to view full size!

Spoiler: nobody will.

15. jmannik

jmannik Member

#FloppyDisksAreForPoorPeople #Tape4Lyf

16. eviladrian

eviladrian Member

3-inch disks were the best! They didn't have that flimsy "shield" that would bend and fall off like 3.5-inchers.

Click to view full size!

I remember most games only used one side of the disk, so I'd format the unused side and copy the Amstrad Action covertape demos onto them. It was impossible to find Amstrad games in Australia after about 1990, so I just played the demos over and over.

17. shane41

shane41 Member

What shirt :confused: Ah yes Amstrad. Wasted so much time on that thing :)

18. shane41

shane41 Member

++ Super Seven ++

Put x1 up for sale guys. As said before, these are getting increasingly hard to find. Forget look AU / never offered.

I've looked for months & only found a few worthy worldwide.

19. cdtoaster

cdtoaster Member

just walk through the CBD, you'll get all those unicef types going I LOVE YOUR SHIRT

20. jmannik

jmannik Member

Well yesterday and today have been spent cataloguing my old hardware.
    So far the Cards and motherboards are done, next ill start on the systems themselves after changing a few things around.
    I was also given a plastic bag full of 5.25, 3.5 and 3 inch floppy disks, a lot of them seem to be labeled as "Formatted 40k" or "Formatted 80K" so I am assuming all of them are from Amstrad CPC.
    They had unfortunately thrown out the Amstrad as they could not easily get a drive belt for the floppy drive.
    So now the hunt starts for an Amstrad with the 3inch drive.