1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

What retro computer activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. shane41

shane41 Member

2. mookie3three

mookie3three Member

Anyone into old Japanese computers? MSX or Sharp X68000? Would love to get these myself but damn they are expensive.

3. zebu

zebu Member

I unpacked this today.
    it was like playing pass the parcel

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

teeny tiny socket 3. it would actually fit in some ITX cases with a little tweaking of the mounting screws in the case if you didnt need to be able to get to all of the PCI slots

Im still deciding on what to throw with it in a 486 build.
    could go for small components and build a tiny case for it, or go for voodoo 3 and awe64.
    Decisions Decisions

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  4. Axe

Axe Member

OOOOOHH, SIS chipset, nasty nasty

i've got some edo ram somewhere if you need it, sadly all the isa stuff ive thrown out, might have a scsi controller tho

5. zebu

zebu Member

Sadly it will only take fast page rather than edo. I've got 2 4 meg sticks in my bag full of old ram that should let me see if it will boot when the CPU arrives. I've got a fair few Isa sound cards to pick from too. It will be interesting to see how much it likes plug and play Isa cards or if it works better with a card that has jumpers.

6. mr626

mr626 Member

That's a cool little mobo zebu :thumbup:

7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

CRTs are a must have for 15khz RGB arcade and old console lovers. I know this is mostly a PC user forum, so opinions will vary for people who had VGA as their lowest resolution.

8. jmannik

jmannik Member

I have RAM and CPU's laying around that should be good for that if you want to drop round? I should be home all weekend.

9. power

power Member

oldest console I have is a Saturn and my Panasonic plasma does the duties nicely.

My Amiga and ST just use my 1084S though :)

There are as always cases like you've cited and people forget them too often.

These days CRT's are kind of like vinyl, analogue feel that makes the experience truly authentic, arcade games for example on feel and sound right on a cab imo.

Us retrobates want more than an emu, real hardware controllers and displays make a heck of a difference.

10. jmannik

jmannik Member

I have an IBM Flatscreen CRT 17" Monitor sitting in the back of my car waiting for me to play with tonight when I get home from work :D

I will still need to find a CRT TV to set up for my old console although my current TV actually does RF, Component and Composite quite nicely, Samsung 40" LCD not sure which model but I was able to play Sega Master System via RF nicely. True its nothing compared to a real CRT but it works well enough for my space constraints.

11. Cannula

Cannula Member

Ther is no socket 3 CPU with an FPU fast enough for decent frames in 3d acceleration.
    If you want to give early 3d a go in the board use a Banshee if you have one or V1/2. V3 is such a waste even in a Pentium unless you run I at 300MHz+.

12. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

13. zebu

zebu Member

I only thought voodoo 3 because i have a pci voodoo 3 2000 that i bought myself as a year 12 graduation present to play halflife 1 and ut99 on back in the day.
    the voodoo 3 also has an exceptionally fast vesa implementation and not toooo awfully noisy vga output

It was an upgrade from an s3 virge that i had found ram chips for to upgrade to 4mb. with 2mb lara's legs were untextured in tomb raider 2 lol.

At the time my main pc was a 66mhz socket 7 p200mmx the mobo could take 72pin edo or sdram (and actually worked with both both populated). I still have all the parts of it except for perhaps the original 2gb hdd that was in it (but not together)

14. mr626

mr626 Member

As per my socket a thread, I went shopping for some parts :)

Yay for gumtree wins!

15. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Had a mixed bag of hits and misses in the past day.

First miss - bought the wrong memory for a Cirrus Logic video/controller VLB card (MVGA-AVGA4VL+). When looking up specs I forgot to put in the "+". Hopefully the memory (256x16 SOJ chips) will fit in an S3 card or something else.

Second miss was slightly less tragic, bought a Powerleap adapter to replace a PL-iP3/T with dented capacitors (thank you Aus Post/Shopmate) - ended up with a PL-iP3 V2 and not the /T. So only CuMine support up to 1.1GHz, and impossible to find the manual for it :upset:

On the upside, successfully replaced the LED speed readout on the 486 - next step is to configure it so it reads 66 instead of the misleading 150.

Also soldered the oscillator back onto the Millenium II and despite being a messy job it works perfectly; and so far three VLB video cards I tested work fine, after reseating the memory chips. Never had VLB back in the day, skipped from 386 to Pentium, so it's kind of exciting to go back and play with this tech!

16. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Matrox were wonderful cards. Excellent 2D quality and IIRC good performance including DOS.

17. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

18. shane41

shane41 Member

19. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

20. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

Should be OK with standard PATA devices

Or if you have SCSI devices connected, it can use those as well

Will be a BIOS option whether to first use IDE or SCSI if both are connected

SCSI connection via 50-wire cable, which look like older PATA cable but 10 wires wider, and probably more than two connectors on the cable

Or via 68-wire SCSI cable - Google for more details

Each SCSI device needs unique address to be set, from 0 to 7 for devices on a 50-wire cable (aka narrow SCSI), or 0 to 15 on 68-wire cable (aka wide SCSI)

And each SCSI cable requires termination on its last device, either by a setting on the device itself or by an external terminator