1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

What retro computer activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Sektor

Sektor Member

Nice. Looks like you'll be having chips for every meal for quite some time.

2. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Yum :)

I tested S370 processors and found two non working ones :( Two others weren't labelled, so I wrote the frequency / FSB on them to make it easier for the future.

Then I played around with V2 SLI. Got two matching STB cards from that Eastern European eBay seller. He buys them at a shop in Moscow, who has a massive pile of them, but refuses to shop overseas. So he buys them locally and sells them on.

I think I got 6 cards in one hit from him. I knew anything 3dfx is going to go up in value :)

Had zero issues. Used the latest 3rd party drivers, installed some games and off it went. Happy days...

3. Joe Public

Joe Public Member

Built a console/arcade emulator using a Raspberry Pi 2 and Retropie.

I used a six-button Qanba N1 joystick, which i bought from Amazon.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  4. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

What is your experience with the RetroPie?

5. Joe Public

Joe Public Member

So far, so good. At the moment i've only looked into older 80's/90's games - c64, old consoles, old arcade games like pac-man, galaga, etc. The c64 games are a bit painful because I found i needed a keyboard as well for some of them. I've only briefly looked into newer arcade games and consoles, but it seems to get a bit trickier to get them running.

Getting the joystick going was a bit of a hassle, but it wasn't due to retropie - the joystick itself has a 'mode' button on it. When that's turned off, i had no end of trouble trying to configure it. When the mode button is turned on, everything worked fine after i went through the initial set up in retropie.

Edit: I've tinkered with lots of config files. There's a config file saved in the folder of each emulator which will be applicable to just that application, then a universal config file that covers anything else not already defined.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  6. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

What I always found difficult was setting up all the front-end stuff. Is that easy to do or are there wizards?

7. Joe Public

Joe Public Member

I'm using the latest version and it's been fairly easy so far.

It detected the joystick on boot up and went through a brief config process - move up, move down, press this button, press that button, etc.

Once that was done, it went straight to 'Emulation Station', which is sort of an overarching menu that allows you to shuffle through a revolving menu of the various emulators available. You do this by moving the joystick left or right.

All emulators are already installed, some are not visible on first boot and don't show in the menu until games are added to their folder. Once a game is added to a particular emulator, that emulator becomes available in Emulation Station on the next reboot. You click into that emulator, choose the game you'd like to play and away it goes. It even has a scraper to pretty things up by showing details/photos for the game.

Making games available seems to be relatively easy, too. By default, the folder you need is available from the Pi as a network share. Adding a game then becomes as easy as transferring it to the relevant folder over the lan.

8. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Voodoo 2 SLI: Nothing quite like it. 3D graphics card vintage 1998, yet beastly enough to keep up with Voodoo 4 and Rivia TNT2.

Feast on these photos :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  9. PsychoticOrc

PsychoticOrc Member

Such awesomeness in one post, this was my dream setup when I was growing up, badgered my parents for ages to get the parts for me but alas it never happened.

Will there be a video (if there is not one already) showing this off?

10. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Yes, I've got something planned. Will be a while though...

But I have this one as a teaser: https://youtu.be/t2XWTGVzMV0

60 fps for smoother Voodoo 2 awesomeness.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  11. badmofo

badmofo Member

Voodoo 2's are cool there's no denying it, but I've switched to a V3 for the output quality - the V2's were kinda 'muddy', or something, I thought.

SLI V2's can beat the slower V3's from what I understand? Does that hold true for the 3500?

12. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Agreed, V3 is the more sensible choice. Better image, higher resolutions, 1 card instead of 3, much cheaper. But V2 SLI is just something special :)

No, the V3 3500 is ahead of V2 SLI. I've got some nice benchmark results to compare how all the Voodoo cards stack up against each other: http://www.philscomputerlab.com/3dfx-voodoo-shootout-project.html

13. badmofo

badmofo Member

Thanks Phil, I thought you might! Your website's looking good dude :thumbup:

Yes the 3500 does pretty well for itself based on your results, good to know.

14. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Love the 3dfx comparo! The V5 was a beast! What was the setup you used to get those framerates?

15. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

The specifications are on that page. It's a Slot 1 machine with 440BX chipset and a 1.1 GHz 100 MHz FSB Pentium III through a S370 to Slot 1 adapter.

Got to make some progress with my Windows 98 benchmarks, but other projects are more fun at the moment :p I knew it wasn't unrealistic thinking it could take me years to finish :D

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  16. Diablos

Diablos Member

My mate has a couple of old voodoos and still has his obsession with them from the 90s... he'll love this stuff :D

17. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Another week, another episode :)

18. partybear

partybear Member

You don't need a "retro" pc to play fallout 3 man. That game runs fine in windows 10.

19. Sciby

Sciby How long have you had these droids?

Today, I've done some actual work on my old Socket 7 system. It features:

- Gigabyte GA-5SMM ATX socket 7 motherboard.
    - AMD K6-2 550
    - 768mb SDRAM (power user, I know)

I don't have any photos, but will upload some. It boots just fine, and I'm kinda using it more or less as a testbed now to test various old bits, eg: An IBM 6x86L PR200+ from 1997, and a Pentium 233MMX that I bought with my first paycheque of my first fulltime job. Both still running happily, but I'll keep the fastest socket 7 chip I've got in there.

Plus, I've tested the only PCI displaycard I've got, an S3 Virge, plus all the old IDE drives I've got. Hilariously, I've got 3 dead 40gb IDE drives, but a classic old Quantum Fireball EL 5.1gb still goes like a champ. I wish I'd never thrown out my old Quantum Bigfoot 4.3gb. :(

Edit: I should sort out my ever-growing CPU collection sometime as well, like Phil did. 150+ so far, but haven't even gotten around to cataloging them all. *facepalm

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  20. Oblivion-330

Oblivion-330 Member

Hi Phill,

I think you should have had some dialogue explaining issues with fallout 3 under windows 7 and maybe some benchmarks for hardware you may need?

I play fallout 3 using windows 7 and I had to download a .dll file to fix a crash and also had to modify the .ini file to enable multicore rendering if memory serves correctly. Otherwise I would get constant crashing. :thumbup: