What retro computer activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. shane41

shane41 Member

Thanks bud, knew you'd like it. :) Been told they'll float a long time in the ocean with good tight seal. Nice, I have a Noah's Ark in case of a catastrophic event :lol:

2. mr626

mr626 Member

Any plans to make it a bit more comfortable? One of the great things about using shipping containers is that heaps of people have already converted them to 'habitable spaces'

The TL;DR version is basically get your angle grinder out and have at it!

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Request for philscomputerlab: Video comparison of the new version of SCUMMVM with updated MT-32 emulator code, versus real hardare.

http://www.scummvm.org/news/20160304/

That would be awesome, if you have the time and motivation. :)

4. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

These are based on 1.4.0. 1.5.0 is the latest and the one you mentioned.

You will struggle to hear differences between 1.4.0. and real hardware, so I stopped doing these comparisons, Munt is really that good now :)

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Oh man, that's so cool.

BRB spending all my money on GoG...

6. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Nice :)

I can highly recommend Fate of Atlantis!

My second Intel D875PBZ motherboard arrived. This one is working, at last!

Got a refund on the last one, but lost some money because for ShopMate, oh well.

Installing XP at the moment, can't wait to see how this compares to the D865PERL and the Abit NF7-S.

I've expanded my Windows XP benchmarking suite and changed a few parts, hopefully I can produce a video soon, but still waiting for parts to arrive :)

I've got a pretty smooth operation going now regarding installing XP, drivers and games, connecting to my LAN. For boards that don't have Gigabit Ethernet I use a Realtek PCI NIC, that speeds things up quite a bit.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  7. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Put together a 754 system with Sempron 3400+, 2x 1 GB DDR400, 6600 GT. Works really well.

I couldn't find memory options in the BIOS and the RAM wasn't running at 200 MHz. Bloody Gigabyte, you have to press CTRL+F1 to enable "advanced" settings. Set it to 200 MHz and also enabled 1T timings :)

Good old times...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  8. shane41

shane41 Member

..........and where are the pics? I show you mine you show me yours :leet:

9. badmofo

badmofo Member

Geez get a room you two :D

10. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

What about some of the Sierra and Dynamix games which were designed around the early MT-32 glitches?

11. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Just identifying them is a chore / pain. I know of a few and Munt does a great job.

Socket 754 test machine:

[​IMG]

12. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

13. shane41

shane41 Member

I call bullshit shill bids. One high bid there from days ago WAY WAY above other of that time. x2 of them look to be doing it.

14. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

It's a boxed and complete AdLib Gold 1000, will probably sell for closer to $5k.

15. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

didn't Donut have similar boxed cards? I don't think he fetched anywhere near as much for any individual ones .. Seems excessive to me.. box is a bit ratty too

16. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I had a plain Adlib boxed, got $400 for it. Didn't have an adlib gold. This isn't the same seller either.

17. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

The Gold has all the things that make a retro part desirable to collectors - mystique, industrial espionage, rarity and a bankrupt company. :lol:

18. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

The graphics card is a XpertVision 6600 GT for AGP slot. It's non reference design but works flawless. I have 3 other cards based on the Nvidia design and they all have issues :(

I'm using a new sound card, a X-Fi XtremeGamer, it only works in the PCI slot next to the graphics card. VIA chipset, what can I say :lol:

19. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

That's annoying. Wasn't the 6600GT round the time of the lead-free solder issue? Tried baking them?

Slightly related question: I remember you ran a few AGP Quadro cards rather than their gaming equivalents - was there one that was FX5900ish?

Don't be hating on the VIA chipset, makes things interesting... :lol:

20. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

I get the impression that AGP bridge chip is the issue and that the reference design isn't as robust. Could be caps too, who knows.

Yes, I have two Quadro cards, I think they are based on the older FX 5800 GeForce equivalent. I do have a full blown FX 5950 Ultra though also :)

Barely visible on the photo, but I got these cheap headphone speakers from eBay. They are ideal for testing, no power required, so I can hear the sounds and music and it's quick to setup. It's little things like this that I love about this hobby.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016