What retro computer activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Fair enough!

I'd love it myself, but yeah, even if I had the money, and It was my #1 desire It's just not satisfying IMO to have to pay top $ for the privilege..

2. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Such a tease. :lol: What's the model for the FX5800 equivalent?

I'm with you, the soundcard collectors are crazy. :p

To me, the Yamaha Audician 32 which you can still buy new does the trick, unless you want to go all out on a AWE64.

I sort of get the point; playing games with original sound as intended. But not at those prices!

3. shane41

shane41 Member

Yeah, crazy nutters. Had no idea a sound card could go for that much. :confused:

4. jeremybh1

jeremybh1 Member

Recently I've acquired a non functioning Macintosh Colour Classic.
    Here is the story and a link to my one shot youtube video:
    The latest addition to my personal Macintosh collection is the Colour Classic. The only description the younger seller gave was it didn’t turn on. Not being one to gamble I was about to pull the pin on heading over to buy it, but a CC sure is tempting. It was in dusty condition with minimal case damage (a few light scratches), near platinum grey plastics. I could see the dust, but I could also see a LC PDS ethernet card was installed and it came with keyboard and mouse. Deal!

Work was testing my excitement with a 5 hour shift in the middle of the day so I did that and came home to start working on cleaning off the dust and seeing why it didn’t boot. First observations as I was taking things apart were the plastics were tough, and gee Apple sure crammed in a lot of things into one small case. I’m so familiar with the black and white classics internally that it was surprising to see the extra components required for colour.

The logic board was very dusty, and more dust covering the analogue board. Interestingly the fan was near new in dust level - again my suspicions the CC was stored poorly were becoming stronger. Anyway dust is great - it comes off.

In the kitchen sink goes warm water, vinegar. On the board goes a thin spray of bench cleaner. Using an electric toothbrush and dedicated brush head, I went around all the capacitors and chips. As the board was non upgraded, there wasn’t any RAM to remove before hand.
    I also added in a few drops of eucalyptus oil to further remove the decade old dust. The board was rinsed well with warm water (at least 2 minutes) then taken outside to shake the drops out. The board then went into the oven at 50’C for 30 minutes, turned over at the 15 min mark.

After it was dry I got out my torch to inspect everything - there was still some gunk around chips adjacent to capacitors. Using a dry toothbrush head, I detailed around them to further remove the presumably electrolytic leakage. Then back into the CC to power on.

Remember this is a soft on computer, switch on at the rear then start up using the power key on your keyboard.

CHIME!

Enjoy the video everyone
    https://youtu.be/WJkVAAL9JV8

5. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Yea, personally I draw the line at maybe 200 to 300 bucks. Like for a Voodoo 5 or some Roland gear, but not anything close to what that Adlib Gold is going for.

It's the Quadro FX 2000. I have two, this one lost a capacitor on transit, haven't gotten around to replacing it. These are different types of caps, not sure how to actually solder them.

I'm also wondering if / how you can turn a Quadro into a GeForce. I could try a BIOS flash, but I remember on ATI cards you had to move a resistor on the card to turn it from a Radeon into a FireGL. That was with a Radeon 9700. I also want to do some benchmarks, comparing GeForce with Quadro and forcing GeForce driver onto Quadro and things like that. Just another project to add to my long list of projects...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  6. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

Nice work! CCs are a cool bit of design :) you also need a quick vid of the collection on Youtube, very impressive wall of Macs in the background! ;)

I'm with you, crazy price! And from what I've read, a capable but ultimately limited card, as it was not SB compatible, so these cards are destined to live in their boxes ... but the card is insanely rare. Be interesting to see what the end price is!

Also, I came across this pretty detailed sound card history here - http://www.crossfire-designs.de/ind...showarticle.htm&article=soundcards&print=true

7. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Elvis, you might find this useful.

Want to play Monkey Island or Space Quest, but find DOSBox confusing and building a retro PC too hard?

Then check out ScummVM. They just released a new version with some nice upgrades. It has built-in Roland MT-32 and General MIDI support through SoundFonts and is really easy to use.

I will show you how to set everything up, using games from GOG such as Space Quest, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis and Sam and Max Hit the Road.

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Nah I'm good. I'm pretty clever with these computer doodads. ;)

Still love your videos though. Great to see you put so much effort into these for folks. :thumbup:

9. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Been doing a benchmarking marathon with a range of P4 processors and the 6800GT I just got. I can use that data in future videos, but I'd rather get it all done in one hit, so it's nice and consistent.

Looking forward to benching the Athlon 64 ClawHammer CPUs :)

10. atmo

atmo Member

Should be interesting to see the comparison with a bit more GPU headroom.

I'm in the process of doing something similar with 775 hardware, XP and games released during that era. Thought I'd see whether GPU's of the time can keep up with modern monitor resolutions and whether core count makes any difference.

11. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Yea that's the idea!

I think they should as I remember seeing 1600 x 1200, but also higher resolutions than that, in many reviews.

1600 x 1200 has pretty much the same amount of pixels as Full HD, so it's a good indicator.

Once I move to PCIe, I will likely use the 7800 GTX.

12. atmo

atmo Member

Thought I'd have a go at building something like Phil's 4 in 1 retro gaming system with intel hardware.

Using a PII 233 on a 440BX board I was able to get it down to 133mhz (66x2) so emulating a mid range Pentium system was fine. Disabling L2 made a small difference, but still to fast to emulate a 486. Disable L1 and it was like a slow 286 (even at 233mhz).

I could get ~386sx performance using a PIII 866 with L1 disabled, but there was nothing in between.

It seems intel CPU's take a much bigger hit than the AMD's when disabling L1.

13. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Yea I've found the same many years ago.

Should do a video about this.

On a Slot 1 machine you basically get a 286 with CPU cache disabled. For some reason these processors just totally slow down without cache. With the high clock speed though, a few timing sensitive games still won't run, even at that slowed down speed.

For a machine similar to the 4-in-1, you really need a Socket 7 machine. Here Intel works great, you get a fast 386DX with all caches disabled and an average 486DX2 with CPU cache off, but motherboard cache disabled.

Could also do a video on that one. Call it the 3-in-1 because it just can't go as fast as the K6-III+ at full throttle.

14. atmo

atmo Member

Hmm. I have a mostly complete Socket 7 machine (VX board, P133 or 166), I'll see if it's suitable.

15. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Sounds great, give it a try!

The Pentium can be lowered to 1.5 multiplier resulting in 100 MHz, which helps with a few more games :)

EDIT:

One of two test benches I made, thanks to CAD / CAM, in action :)

I'm currently benchmarking a ton of Pentium 4 processors, collecting results for 865 and 875 chipsets as well as comparing Northwood with Prescott and Gallatin cores. The 6800 GT has proven to be very useful, it seperates the results more than the 6600 GT I previously used.

I'll also have to benchmark the XP 3200+ with the 6800 GT, but once that's done I can pack it away for a while :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  16. shane41

shane41 Member

Querty may remember that razz I got over big ass caps.

Recap. New board shipped upside down in antistatic bag. The electrolytic fluid had already let go. Why the seller " not listed the pic's in his sale " :Pirate:
    Meh......... cheap enough & I like a lucky dip sometimes

[​IMG]

Remember board upside down, handling contacted fluid to board surface.

[​IMG]

Big ass 4700uF caps Quert. Like em :weirdo: Rubycon

[​IMG]

Large area I highlighted is where you struggle on the solder irons.
    This 40watter is a battle. mjord ground plane right ?
    Anyways over it, blind as a bat .......to continue :p

17. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

This AGP card arrived recently, but only got around to giving it a proper run today. Played Far Cry and Need for Speed Most Wanted at 1600 x 1200 and it does very well.

It's the HIS X1950 PRO IceQ 3 Turbo 512MB. A real high performance AGP card.

I got to get through a lot of newer benchmarking projects at the moment, entering the results into a spreadsheet, that sort of stuff.

It just makes sense to get all the benchmarks done in one hit.

I will definitely do some DOS and Windows 98 stuff soon :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  18. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

nice.

its also a lot easier to get the old solder flowing again for removal by ensuring theres a good amount of fresh solder on the iron tip.

the difficult part of recapping is getting the pcb holes clean enough after removing the old parts.

I just have 2 irons, a wired 40w which does the job quite well and a butane iron.

about 2 years ago, I got a bunch of solder sucking soldering irons from fleabay, to do a big recap job. I destroyed two trying to use them and the rest went in the bin (the cheap pieces of shit would melt or break before being of any use) so after that I went and got the 40w and got the job done without any braid or suckers or any shit like that.

19. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

20. shane41

shane41 Member

I'll watch this one Phil. Been interested in your method.

Why the hell did I watch this item, stuffed if I know. Must have been the batty price attached to it. It's just wrong to even expect that amount of $$.

Save on the mark downs :lol: It don't help

[​IMG]