What retro computer activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

2. Cannula

Cannula Member

Is that an Asus card? I had a 4200 that had video in/out via a cable that looked identical to that one.

3. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

LeadTek, sorry I should have said. The original high speed 40mm fans were intolerable. They even moved in and out of phase causing a high pitched pulsing sound. :rolleyes:

4. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

The last few days I've spent installing a voltage regulator into my 486 board, so I can run an Am5x86-133 in write-back cache mode.

My board is a VL/I 486SV2G rev 1.7.
    I was using the excellent instructions from mAJORD: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjjvk2jtebps2xj/rev 1_7 jumpers 5x86.doc?dl=0

My board normally only supports 5V CPU's. I was running a Kingston Turbochip, which is an Am5x86-133 wth a voltage regulator on a single chip; but this only runs in write-through cache mode.

Here's a pic of the board before starting work:
    [​IMG]

Here's after soldering in the new components (plus a sacrificial test CPU :p ) :
    [​IMG]

I also had to upgrade to the latest beta BIOS. Side note for anyone with a Genius G540 programmer.... it won't work on win 10. I installed Virtualbox plus the extension pack, and run up a win XP VM. I setup a USB1.1 controller (2 or 3 don't seem to work properly) on the VM and passed thru the programmer - this seemed to work fine.

After mucking about with jumpers, and confirming 3.45V on the VCC pins at the CPU socket, success!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's some benchmark results:
    Before upgrade:

3dbench 76.9
    pcpbench vgamode 21.8
    Speedsys CPU 48.49
    Speedsys L1 84.29 MB/s
    Speedsys L2 53.06 MB/s
    Speedsys Memory 31.39 MB/s
    Norton sysinfo 198
    Doom demo3 3863 2815 (48.03 fps)

After upgrade:

3dbench 83.3
    pcpbench vgamode 22.3
    Speedsys CPU 50.25
    Speedsys L1 110.67 MB/s
    Speedsys L2 42.41 MB/s
    Speedsys Memory 25.28 MB/s
    Norton sysinfo 288
    Doom demo3 3863 2510 (53.8 fps)

A decent performance boost all round... interesting that L2 and Memory bandwidth in speedsys actually drop after the upgrade?? Any ideas what might be going on here?

And here's a shot of the machine:
    [​IMG]

I bought the case off a fellow member at OCAU... I had retrobrighted it when I got it but the yellow has come back even worse than before... I couldn't really be bothered doing it again.

The specs of the rig are:

Mobo: VL/i 486SV2G (with 1MB 15ns Cache)
    RAM: 16MB
    CPU: Am5x86-P75 (X5-133 W16BGC)
    Video: Hercules Dynamite VLB (ET4000W32/p) with 2MB RAM
    Controller: Promise EIDE2000 VLB
    HDD: Seagate Medalist 2.1GB
    CDROM: Sony CDU55E
    Sound:
    -SB16 CT2230
    -Roland RAP10
    -Gravis Ultrasound classic 3.4 with 1MB RAM

5. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Really cool project there DonutKing. :thumbup:

Wish my 486 adventures were that successful... :lol:

6. atmo

atmo Member

Really nice system there :thumbup:

What did you use to retrobrite the plastics and does it sit in an area where it's exposed to UV?

7. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I used 12% peroxide and oxi action. It came up pretty well. This would probably be at least 2-3 years ago. I kept it stored in a cupboard and wrapped in a garbage bag, no but it seems the yellow has come back with a vengeance

I wonder if it's not the bromine breaking down that older plastics suffer from, but rather some other reaction causing the yellowing.

8. atmo

atmo Member

Different plastics will react differently of course, but I think in most cases UV has something to do with the original yellowing. It's rare to see it completely uniform and often sections that wouldn't see much light have much less or no yellowing.

On your case it looks like there's a lot less yellowing around the power switch and on the main face of the case where the 5.25" bezel is slightly ajar.

It may be that whatever reaction the retrobrite + UV combo does will revert after a few years regardless of how it's kept.

9. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Further playing around with that system, I've found the GUS doesn't like the faster CPU... more specifically, unless I disable the L1 cache, music is horribly distorted.

Unfortunately I've also found that using a software utility (eg CACHECTL, ICD) to enable/disable the cache will cause this system to hang, if EMM386 is loaded.

If I don't load EMM386, and I disable the cache before running ULTRAMID, then enable cache - everything works fine.

I could get around this by setting up a boot menu for the different configs, but I haven't had the need to do this yet - the ONLY game I've wanted to play so far that doesn't work with EMM386 is Ultima 7. Kind of annoying :/

I might try to track down an Intel DX4 &EW (write-back cache) and see if I get the same problem...

10. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Ultima 7 is special, it will attempt to enable L1 cache by itself :)

11. shane41

shane41 Member

Back for a while guys. Frustrated & bored on light duties :tired:
    Been trying to get a Dfi SS7 board running. Output transistors measured 8.2v & 4.2v. Thought odd. :confused: Dead processor likely. Anyways pulled all the caps near socket and fitted new ones.

Result turn it on, still black screen & no beep. Though the auto temp on fan worked. Bios :confused: It's the smaller chip soldered to the surface of the board. Phil may know these, approx 12mm square. Unsure how to flash that one.......

12. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

The usual methods. Hot flash in another machine or use an external flasher.

13. shane41

shane41 Member

Not sure mine will do it without yanking the flash chip.

Other news anyone keen to pickup a big ass case for me? Owe you a solid favor / love / beer / retro goodies / oh forgot monies :Paranoid::lol:
    Out far west Sydney, Liverpool

14. Mickatroid

Mickatroid Member

Got into my first Amiga 600. Surface mount board in it looks so neat and tidy!

15. jeremybh1

jeremybh1 Member

I made Macintosh and Apple II related badges; this post has taken me a while to edit but I hope this inspires people to have a go.

I made a few ready to use stickers with the gloss to give away at WozFestIII as per the Apple ][ Australia users group meeting

Obviously credit must go to OlePigeon of 68KMLA for supplying the AI files freely: https://68kmla.org/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=8634

Render the AI to your paper size at 1200dpi

Set your printer settings to be the best they can be. Experiment with say dither settings to ensure a sharp print, I use 'Chart/Graphics'.

Use a guillotine to slice out a few then trim by hand or use scissors.

If you apply a gloss to them like I did, either use a sharp blade to separate the label from the gloss or keep the margin so you can peel.

I am a perfectionist but I also don't like waste. The labels shown in my pictures were from the very first run and I've since gotten better at the sizing for A4 and the best way to trim the labels out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Welcome to Episode 4 of Intel vs AMD!

We are going back to the end of 2003! In this video the Athlon 64 3200+ is taking on the Pentium 4 3.2 GHz.

The parts used for the build, such as motherboard, memory, graphics card, cooler, sound card, PSU, monitor and so on are all shown in the video with their product names.

ForceWare 93.71 is the graphics driver and benchmarks used are 3DMark 2001, 3DMark03, AquaMark, Codecreatures Pro, Serious Sam SE, X2 The Threat, Comanche 4, Doom 3, Far Cry and F.E.A.R.

Will the Athlon 64 be able to dethrone the Pentium 4?

Enjoy this video!

17. atmo

atmo Member

Nice work Phil :thumbup:

AMD did a bit of a re-calibration of their performance ratings when the A64's were released, but I'm still a little surprised just how far ahead of the P4 it is in some of the tests.

The other good thing with these is with the integrated memory controller, performance doesn't vary as much as it may otherwise between different motherboard chipsets.

When mentioning the socket A systems needing a 12v heavy PSU did you mean 5v?

18. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Bugger, yes. I'll add a note :)

Yes the P4 can be all over the place. The 754 is also single channel memory, and still a lot faster. Using the CG stepping and lower memory timings will give you a little boost as well.

19. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Can we start a "retro rant" thread?

Browsing eBay, and some fool has "Vintage DLink ADSL modem" in the "vintage computing" section. Good lord, if I could slap someone over the Internet, I would.

20. shane41

shane41 Member

Hehe hell yes :D Game Dude " mega expensive junket :mad: RETRO :mad: beige boxes