What retro computer activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. shane41

shane41 Member

:) Nice. :)

2. bYrd

bYrd Member

Replacing the motherboard on a 12" Powerbook is something you might regret starting - it really is a painful exercise, and considerably more complex than fixing up other laptops. Reflowing the CPU/northbridge is another bag of hurt and you might have better luck researching PLL/multiplier settings to overclock the 1.33Ghz CPU to 1.5 - 1.6Ghz. Keep in mind also that some G4 desktops/PowerBooks have a chipset limitation on RAM sizes. Also remember the G4 CPU is starved for bandwidth so overclocking doesn't really result in significantly better real world performance. A new SSD would be your best bet to boost performance, initially.

The best place I've found for info on PowerBook overclocking is Mac Bidoulle French forums:

http://forum.macbidouille.com/

JB

Last edited: Jun 22, 2017
  3. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Agreed, I'd personally wouldn't bother putting all those extra investments into the Powerbook. Just max out the ram, throw in an SSD (bandwidth limited) and change the battery cells.

4. Hater

Hater Member

The PowerBook keyboard is a step above the MacBook keyboards. They're amazing. 2006 keyboards were definitely a downgrade.

As for swapping 12" mainboards, been there, done that. I bought an 867Mhz jigger brand new back in the day. It ended up as a 1.25 before I sold it!

It's all jumpered onboard for timings and such, running a 1.66 on a 1.33 board will effectively underclock the 1.66. It's all just experimentation, I don't expect it to work.

5. badmofo

badmofo Member

I'm feeling quite pleased with myself today after discovering the existence of ‘speaker output’ to ‘line output’ converters. I’m in the process of setting up my nerd station in our new home office and was umming and ahhing about including my circa 1993 Sharp all-in-one sound system, which I found NIB a little while back:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The issue I was having was a) the wife-eyebrow-raising size of the thing, and b) it sounded like arse. But it occurred to me that I had it sitting next to my main PC’s 2.1 speaker setup, which sounds brilliant, so I could kill 2 birds with one stone by ditching the provided speakers and using the 2.1’s (which happened to have an AUX input on the sub). The only challenge was the lack of output on the Sharp, but Jaycar came to the rescue with this thingo for 15 bucks:

https://www.jaycar.com.au/speaker-high-level-to-line-level-converter/p/AA0482

I’m no audiophile but it sounds fantastic to my ears – my 2.1’s are way too heavy on the bass by default but the Sharp has an equalizer so that was easy fixed.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  6. nimmers

nimmers Member

7. callan

callan Member

Vic20 restoration

It is finished!!

From THIS.
    [​IMG]

To THIS
    [​IMG]

I failed in one regard: the "Shift lock" key movement could not be salvaged. The operation (to repair the torn contact) was successful but the patient died (membrane switch shorted out). There are two other shift keys, so I've let that one slide for now. I actually suspect it was shorted out already, as the flyleads to it had already been cut.
    The keyboard repair sunk most of my time. In the end 10 PCB tracks were torn by (presumably) student violence and bridged/repaired, and another 8 vias had to be made to repair damage done by previous ignorant, ham fisted repair. The movement is now buttery smooth and contacts reliable (took 3 goes to get the conductive rubber contacts %100)

The below keyboard test made me most pleased.

[​IMG]

Now for a bit of COSMIC AVENGER! (when I plug in the joystick!)
    [​IMG]

So I have a museum piece, daily driver and a spare in my VIC20 collection. I think that's probably enough, now.

Callan

Last edited: Jun 24, 2017
  8. Sektor

Sektor Member

Nice work. Makes me feel lazy for never fixing the eject on my VIC-20 datasette and putting up with an AC adapter that liked to buzz. Everything else worked fine, so I left it as is and eventually sold it.

9. shane41

shane41 Member

Ebay 15% off again till tomorrow midnight.
    Ha ... as if I need buy more crap I don't need :rolleyes:

10. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

Picked up a 980 ti today. Big upgrade over my 2 x 680 4gb cards.

11. shane41

shane41 Member

Classifieds? Need another to bench sli

12. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

Wow, I'd love to see a photo of the motherboard in that P166 server. And also what sspec chips are in it.

13. Hater

Hater Member

Fired my extra RAM into my G4 - It absolutely flies now... Until you go to use the internet :(

It is definitely usable, but I guess i'm just used to my Quad i7 and lightning fast browsing. Hmm.

At least YouTube is nice and fluid now, even at 720p. Amazing what 512MB of RAM can do!

14. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Nintendo SNES Classic Mini is up for preorder at EB Games if anyone is keen.

15. PsychoticOrc

PsychoticOrc Member

Finally got around to replacing the 700mhz celeron in my socket 370 machine with a 1.4ghz p3 but I'm unsure if the stock hsf from the celeron will do the job, is anyone able to shed some light for me ? :tongue:

16. Matthew kane

Matthew kane Member

The hsf that came with Tualatin P3's were generally server hsf's units that had a taller than stock hsf heatsink and a 60mm fan screwed on top.

Some also came with low profile copper hsf units with a fan screwed on top.

I have the former one that I'm about to chuck out if you're interested in dropping by again. Still have that Asus pci usb expander saved for you for that Asus CUSL-M mATX socket 370 board I gave you last year, so you can complete the package.

17. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

18. shane41

shane41 Member

You missed younger brother is @ 90deg to screen......bad play/ bad vision :p

19. Sciby

Sciby How long have you had these droids?

It's the 80s, clearly Mum is looking to the kitchen to excitedly get dinner on.

20. badmofo

badmofo Member

:lol:

Yes that fake family has a weird fake family dynamic going on there but my inner child still wants to be a part of it dagnabbit - my real family is a lot weirder!