1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

What retro computer activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Reaper

Reaper Member

And look what's turned out to be junk no one wants, that Pentium.

2. badmofo

badmofo Member

I wish I could blame a parent for ditching all my ace hardware over the years but sadly it was usually me. In my defence I often sold it to fund an upgrade but I’m riddled with regret anyway.

elvis and flu!d like this.
  3. Reaper

Reaper Member

I called that the late 90's / early 00's.

flu!d likes this.
  4. flu!d

flu!d Motoring and Intel forum admin

Yep...That's the one.

Reaper likes this.
  5. Vanne

Vanne Member

Awaiting my USA C=128 today for delivery..

adz likes this.
  6. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Another tedious retro resto. This time IN STEREO!
    A pair of Coolermaster Centurion 5 cases.

DSCF3039.JPG DSCF3040.JPG

Thanks to the munted CoolerMaster Mystique 632 (of the same era) that provided some spare parts. like a speaker mount, silver power button for second case, front audio and front firewire cables.

They both came up nice but now I'm at a loss on what to do with them.
    I can
    A: do a couple of period builds (2007).
    2: put some older hardware in each. (maybe one Intel, one AMD)
    C: put old hardware in one and do a modern sleeper in the other.
    IV: Put in the cupboard for a few months/years, biding my time for 2 identical builds, then network them to play Red alert multiplayer with my Brother.

7. badmofo

badmofo Member

My daily driver is a modern sleeper in a Centurion 5 but I didn't plan it that way - I've just been upgrading over the years and never seen a reason to replace the case. It looks OK and it's easy enough to work with - maybe I'm missing something by using an old case. I have upgraded the PSU a couple of times now that I think of it.

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  8. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Actually thinking of putting one of my 2 mains into one of these or an antec sonata, because I do like old antecs even more than budget/mid end coolermasters.
    Sonata is older, and I'd have to take a period correct Athlon XP out of it.
    Might have to make my own build thread for that :lol: A lot of my parts are older, but not retro yet. So it'd have to go in OC and hardware.

9. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I generally (depends on models of both) found Cooler Master cases of this era to feel less solid than Antec due to them using thinner metal throughout. That said I have lovingly owned both. I always thought the Cooler Masters had a visual appeal that sort of fit in a home theater environment of that era (silver devices). I had a Centurion 2 before they started doing the black speaker mesh.

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  10. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

The only Cooler Master I ever wanted was the HAF 932...something about that case was just so cool at the time. I only mention it because it's just occurred to me that it now meets this forum's definition of Retro....

I actually have one housing my home server now - I bought it during the X79 / Xeon E5-2670 craze 3ish years back, because it looked like it would be easy to mod for the bigger-than-EATX server boards that I've forgotten the name of. Never did end up going down that path so it's mostly a box full of air that I need to mod to hold more hard drives instead.

EDIT: Crikey, that'd mean we're only 20-some months from Sandy Bridge being retro...What does "retro" even mean at that point? Maybe in another 2 years Intel will finally have an architecture revision that doesn't just feel like Sandy Bridge+++++++ but it still seems terribly modern at the moment.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  11. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

we adapted a 10 years and it's retro rule.
    While I think music, movies, car/building design etc etc don't get retro for a LONG TIME.. Tech moves so fast that 10 years I think is adequate to be considered retro.
    Who was using a first gen smart phone in 2015-2017?

My retro activity today was clearing a bunch of CRT's off a spare bed into a shed (the one under the house shed, so heat shouldn't melt them all in 2 days)
    But then making room in the shed I found something REALLY retro::
    DSCF3050.JPG
    My father never smoked, and I don't remember either of my Grandfathers ever smoking while I've been alive.. So this is either from my Grandfathers when they were younger, or my great grandfathers. There were a lot of them, all holding nails and screws, and NONE have any single warning about smoking killing you.

So the "super evil, worse than Hitler" habit of smoking in the 1800's-1900's still has a use today... storing nails and screws.
    can the first iPhone do that? :lol:

After the spare bed is free again, better believe I'll be bringing all my junk back upstairs for more adventures in retro restoring!

JSmithDTV and elvis like this.
  12. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

13. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I found 15 odd of these same tins.. All from the William Butler Tobacco company. The tin says made in Australia.
    I found this:
    https://ehive.com/collections/4907/objects/508004/tin-pipe-tobacco-dr-pat
    which says 1920-1960

so at the absolute NEWEST, they are 60 years old...

So to quote myself: "So the "super evil, worse than Hitler" habit of smoking in the 1800's-1900's still has a use today... storing nails and screws.
    can the first iPhone do that?"

So the worse than Hitler habit was actually made in Australia... My grandfathers/GREAT grandfathers were supporting our country more than any of us have with our made in China/Korea/Singapore/Indonesia/Taiwan/Japan etc etc bullshit...
    And when they died of cancer from Australian tobacco, they got Australian medical care.. Propping up the medical industry.

I've been a non smoker for a while now, but if I can find a locally made tobacco, I don't care if it has the anti smoking "you'll be dead INSTANTLY after even HALF a DRAG" bullshit on it... I will buy some local tobacco, and put it in one of these tins, and I'll buy a pipe and am taking smoking back.

And while I'm at it, I'm bringing back pocket watches!!! You wind them once or twice a week if you have cheap one... FUCK CHARGING FUCKING THINGS ONCE A FUCKING DAY!!!

JSmithDTV likes this.
  14. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I still smoke so would generally say... amen brother, but then really don't take it up again if you stopped sucessfully for some time.

Indeed squire. ;)

[​IMG]

JSmith

15. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

It doesn't need to be 30 million dollars. But we had pocket watches, wind them 1/2 times a week and they do their job...
    Wrist watches made it better! It's attached to your hand, you just need to lift your arm slightly to see the time, and they had batteries that would last months/years.
    Then, as a species, we went backwards... We put devices that could tell the time BACK IN OUR FUCKING POCKETS and have made them useless unless we FUCK AROUND WITH THEM EVERY FUCKING DAY!!!
    If I could get a phone with a 3 week standby, 3 day use time... SOLD!!!

Remember our old Nokias with a 20+ year standby, 50 month talk time, and 2 month solid snake play time?
    how did we as a species fuck up SO BADLY?
    Now we can get smart watches... But I've gotta wait another 50 years untill they have more than a 4 fucking second battery life.

I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS, I HAVE TO GO BUY A SINGLE PIECE OF FRUIT WITH A COUPON AND THEN RETURN IT MAKING PEOPLE WAIT BEHIND ME WHILE I COMPLAIN!!!

MUTMAN and Vanne like this.
  16. Vanne

Vanne Member

Yeap, the suffering is real.. ;)

MUTMAN likes this.
  17. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

I mean, we also went forwards....I've worn Citizen Eco-Drive watches for probably 15 years now. They hold time to within about 2 seconds per month, charge from the sun, and my oldest one is still working without a service.

I still think we got smartwatches backwards....put it in the band, dummies! Let the top side be "dumb" (the smartest kind of dumb) and put the brains on the inside of my wrist. Doesn't need to have an always-on display because it requires a very deliberate motion to see. Doesn't need to have a particularly high-res screen because you're not rendering a photoreal watch-face on it. Could probably even be a transreflective LCD or e-ink. Why isn't this a thing?

18. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

I found a Grand Prix Legends big box on FB marketplace. Free :wired: ...but in another city. I messaged offering money for it, plus costs if they would post. She said no worries, and insisted on charging shipping cost only. An hour later she messaged back. They'd already given it away and forgotten to delist it. Poor lady felt terrible! Oh well. What a rollercoaster.

I've got another little package of PC games to pick up from a seller tomorrow, for just $5. I'm probably dooming it by posting about it.

MUTMAN likes this.
  19. breno

breno Member

Got my hands on this old beast to restore. Pentium 1 75mhz 876mb hard drive. So happy this hard drive still works.

Can't wait to see how it turns out

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

GumbyNoTalent, adz, Vanne and 2 others like this.
  20. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

What a beaut :)