1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

What retro computer activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. breno

breno Member

Yeh I know I love it, it's a shame its missing the reset button :(

2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I predict that within 10 years, computers will be twice as powerful, ten thousand times larger, and so expensive that only the 5 richest kings of Europe will own them

[​IMG]

the look of the tall skinny cases still resonates with me

3. breno

breno Member

I predict if there was a cataclysmic event that destroyed society as we know it, as we rebuild, these computers will be the ones we will use.
    This computer and another pentium 2 that I was given have been sitting outside in someone's truck on a farm and they still work :lol:

MUTMAN likes this.
  4. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Q: What you got in the case?
    A: You don't wanna look in there.

MUTMAN likes this.
  5. Reaper

Reaper Member

Man, it would be a hassle transporting the ark of the covenant across borders. All that paperwork for vaporised people.

6. Reaper

Reaper Member

Oh shit what have I done?

elvis likes this.
  7. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  8. elvis

So this has been on my list of things to do for ages, and thankfully someone else (who is much smarter than me) is doing all the hard work.

Various older CRT iMac hardware (including the iMac G3, iMac DV and eMac) all unfortunately are almost entirely useless with Apple's logic boards. The CRTs have no manual controls whatsoever, and all commands to do everything including setting colours, resolution, geometry and the rest are all done over an I2C bus.

Macrumours forum member Rocky Hill previously snooped these values for an eMac, and is now in the process of doing the same for an iMac. With these values he can now, without an Apple logic board, send the commands back to control the monitor with anything that supports I2C. He'd originally done it with an Arduino (which in turn had a relay to power up a Raspberry Pi). I asked him if it could be done direct from the Pi, so he's going to attempt that soon too.

I've got an old iMac G3 333MHz lying around that's honestly way too slow for anything useful, and there's really no software or games I'd enjoy playing from that era. It served as a web browser in my games room for a while, but whether it was older MacOSX or Linux/BSD, these days it's just too slow even for that.

My goal is to set up a Raspberry Pi with DOSBox and a small amp to have an iMac as a fully portable DOS gaming machine with high quality CRT. "Portable CRT" isn't something people think of, but this could be a great option for a weekend of DOS gaming on the kitchen table and then easily stashing it away when I'm done. And yeah, I know you can do all this on a modern laptop, but I *hate* retro gaming on LCD screens.

Here's Rocky's latest progress video. I'm super excited to give this a go.

WuZMoT likes this.
  9. shredder

shredder Member

Annoying internal plastic locking tabs, meet pair of pliers indiscriminately yanking off chunks of casing. :lol:

Sometimes, it is the way.

WuZMoT likes this.
  10. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

elvis Be sure to keep us up-to-date with the iMac. I have a couple of iMacs and eMacs in storage - Sounds like an interesting project!

elvis likes this.
  11. elvis

Rocky got the iMac working without an Arduino. Time to make a cable and test this weekend!

12. MrMaestro

MrMaestro Member

I finished putting together a (mostly) 2005-period-correct Win XP build a couple of weeks ago and when I got it booting up I discovered the NVIDIA 7800 GTX was artifacting. Seems to be par for the course with mid-2000s NVIDIA cards from what I can tell. From the moment the display came on with the BIOS splash screen it displayed junk colour pixels all over the screen.

I remembered hearing about baking graphics cards in the oven to reflow the solder, so after doing a little research and waiting for new heat sink thermal pads to arrive from ebay I tried it last night. I gave it 9 minutes at 200 degrees and it seems to have come out a perfect medium-rare because no more artifacts! I just gave it a 3DMark 06 run and it performed without issues. Fingers-crossed the fix lasts!

shredder likes this.
  13. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Par for the course for mid-2000s everything - the combined effects of the Capacitor Plague and the sudden transition to lead-free solder after the RoHS directive mean that gear from roughly 2005-2007 is incredibly unreliable.

14. MrMaestro

MrMaestro Member

Yep the capacitor plague delayed the build for ages. I had all the parts 6 months ago but all the CPU power delivery caps on the ASUS A8N-SLI motherboard had leaked. I had to wait until a couple of weeks ago for one of my mates who's good with a soldering iron to recap the board.

And I'm not sure I'd tar ATi with the same brush as NVIDIA, when looking up the oven-bake method 99% of the people discussing it had NVIDIA cards. I suppose that's anecdotal but the heat sinks NVIDIA used on the 7000 and 8000 series cards definitely look undersized compared to what ATi had on their's. So it could be that ATi cards fared better. Not that you'd want to use any of them nowadays :D

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  15. shredder

shredder Member

I want to check out this Roland MIDI emulation, with some DOSBox games.

I'm wondering if there's a 'current best implementation' consensus/guide I can go with.

As always when Googling this sort of thing, there's a lot of historical results going back many years, and I hope to avoid gradually working my way up from it's first principles, to current best practice!

edit: Googling in progress. Munt is easy. Other option Timidity++ & soundfonts skimmed over. Fluidsynth mentioned. But basically, what gives the best sounding DOSBox experience???

(and which games do you show it off with?)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  16. Hater

Hater Member

I was looking for a G3 iBook but meh, pulled my G4 TiBook out of storage and played with it today.

Now trying to find a copy of Final Cut Pro 4 or 5 for it.

A bigger HDD too.

17. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

"portable CRT" :D
    but once i stopped laughing i starting looking for G3's for sale . oh dear :)

18. elvis

So mobile!

images (2).jpeg

4dc3f9cf49e2aef12e220000.jpg

GumbyNoTalent, qwertylesh and MUTMAN like this.
  19. shredder

shredder Member

Got Munt working, "no hiccups along the way whatsoever" (which will be a lol to anyone who saw my detailed frustrated rants initially failing to make it work, which I've now deleted as it no longer matters....).

Had a quick listen-in to King's Quest 6 through headphones, sounded good, looking forward to explore some worthy MT-32 titles in Dosbox.

elvis likes this.
  20. elvis

My apologies, but I did chuckle at the string of events. :)