What retro computer activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Vanne

Vanne Member

I feel the same, I am out of the upgrade game now for a couple of years already. Thing is, my hex core box is still plenty fast enough for the games I play, and I'll be damned if I am going to upgrade my computer for a frikking web browser.

Is that a AGPpro port on that dual CPU board? Nice board. ;) I used to collect dual CPU boards..lol

baronbaldric likes this.
  2. Reaper

Reaper Member

None of them is 1155? They're 775. I haven't bothered with overclocking since about 2006 I think. Only base upgraded once during the last 11 years. I used to get a new board every year from about 1998 onwards to about 2005 then about every two years.

Currently running main desktop an i7 7700, 16GB ddr4, 250GB sata ssd +640GB spinny boi and a Geforce 1060 6GB. I have zero reason to upgrade except bigger m.2 ssd.

1x 16pci-e (8x)
    1x 8pci-e (4x)
    1x pci
    3x pci-x.

I used to drool over boards like this as they were generally unobtainable for the cost, now I gots one. :)

The dual boards I used to have, used to being the main thing;

BP6
    Some dual slot1.
    A multi board asus that I had a dual ppro cpu card and a dual socket7 cpu card for. It was fully loaded.

Vanne likes this.
  3. shredder

shredder Member

True. A case of News Fatigue Dementia on my part. The GA 965 DS3 board was my previous rig, a Q6600 based one I retired some years back. Also looks very similar to my current GA-xxxxxx-DS3 1155 board.

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

1 week on OCAU, 12th post. This is a solid start.

5. Reaper

Reaper Member

Gigabyte sure has had quite a consistent style for a very long time with the bright colours too.

6. Vanne

Vanne Member

That's pretty good, looks like supermicro, but can't be sure. What's the model of the board?

8x or 16x, there's fuck all difference in throu put anyways.
    :thumbup:

7. pfrcom

pfrcom Member

8. Reaper

Reaper Member

9. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I dug up some old, unlabeled VHS tapes.
    I made it an hour into to the first tape, skipping all the boring bits. The tape has now gotten to a Futurama episode (as first broadcast here on channel 7)
    I've owned every season of Futurama on ANY media it has ever been released on since 2002, and 95% of all the merch. Futurama season 1 was my first ever DVD and I forget more about Futurama each month than 99.9999% of ANYONE on earth will ever know.

But I have still watched a WHOLE episode on this ratty old VHS tape!
    For those who are dying to know, (anyone who's ever SEEN Futurama) the episode was "The Cryonic Woman" which was the last episode of season 2.
    And since I have everyone here.. Futurama had FOUR original seasons. 1, 2, 3, 4! NOT 5, NOT 6, NOT SEVEN AND THREEE FUCKING EIGHTHS... FOUR!!!!! 4!!! And then it got cancelled.
    As Patrick Stewart would say.... THERE. ARE. FOUR. SEASONS!

as for my going through old tapes. Any tape that contains Futurama or King of the Hill will DRASTICALLY reduce my ability to get through these unlabeled tapes.

Vanne, adz, elvis and 2 others like this.
  10. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I've thought about getting some xvid rips of simpsons/futurama just so i can watch it on an OG xbox via XBMC on a CRT for kicks!

11. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

So its time for me to start bootlegging all the newer seasons on VHS? (season 1-4 of Futurama were all released on VHS) and I've owned them all at one point.
    In fact, I have LOTS of stuff I'm now going to put on VHS! I have 5 episodes of star wars on VHS (1,2,4,5,6 both original and remastered)... 3,7,8 and 9 will be much better on VHS!
    Aside from Futurama, the best bit of these old tapes has been the ads! I just got one for the NEW vanilla coke!
    Vanilla coke hasn't been NEW in a long, LONG time.. So it's like a time machine!

Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  12. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

OH MY GOD... I've just seen on a news update with Anne Fulwood, that the Bali victims have all been accounted for!
    THANK CHRIST FOR THAT!

And then there was an Intel Inside Pentium 4 ad.

an lastly, there's an Always Greener ad!

13. Reaper

Reaper Member

I put this together after finding some newspaper pages yesterday. Watch on Youtube so you can read it.

MUTMAN and WuZMoT like this.
  14. elvis

I bought an Orange Pi for this. About half the size of an RPi, with WiFi. Goal is to embed it inside a small CRT to turn on at power on and play random media off my NAS.

WuZMoT likes this.
  15. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

my 3b+ is pretty much collecting dust, I considered using it too. I probably wouldn't even need to stream it, pretty sure all the simpsons (up to Season 9 anyway ;))/futurama will fit on an sd card in that low resolution.

elvis likes this.
  16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

good to see a lot of things havnt changed

17. simontifik

simontifik Member

Love this! I still have my old VHSs of when my parents taped the OG Star Wars movies back in the late 80s. Back when Channel 10 had an X for a logo and movies were introduced by the guy with thick rimmed black glasses. Worth watching for the ads alone, Cotteeā€™s cordial, Solo Man, Datsun cars!

FIREWIRE1394, Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  18. elvis

Straight to archive.org !

FIREWIRE1394 and MUTMAN like this.
  19. elvis

RAEOTM:

PCI Audio cards:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&SearchText=pci+audio

Most of these are CMI8738 chipsets. A mix of 4+gameport and 4.1/5 channel. Typically under AUD $10 delivered.

Phil's Computer Lab talks about these in a few videos and articles, so check with his posts (his site, VOGONs and his YouTube channel) about DOS compatibility. But these typically have drivers lying about for Win95/Win98 use.

adz, baronbaldric and Pierre32 like this.
  20. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

I might take a closer look at these options. With both the SB Live and onboard sound behaving poorly on my Win98 box, it might be fun to throw a cheapie in there and see how it performs.

I just went down a brief ebay rabbit hole (it's not hard to instigate) and spotted this thing: Vintage S3 Sonic Vibes PCI Sound Card 86C617 (VOGONS review)

...I momentarily imagined building a machine with an S3 sound card and Creative video card, just for the weirdness of it.

baronbaldric likes this.