What retro computer activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Still looks and works great. :D Pulled it out of its home for some (very ordinary) photos. Not game to pull the shroud off though.

IMG_20200419_110408.jpg IMG_20200419_110421.jpg IMG_20200419_110536.jpg 123.jpg

(P.S. I was very glad you did the restoring, not me! :lol: Thanks again)

baronbaldric, adz and Pierre32 like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

baronbaldric and BuuBox like this.
  3. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Completed a Half Life playthrough on the Win98 box on the weekend. Happy to have done it, but Xen is a little exhausting.

baronbaldric and Phido like this.
  4. power

power Member

bin it, can see at least 2 popped caps.

or you know, recap it.

glue is normal in all PSU's. This was a very common, cheap PSU that TT sold heaps of it was also in most of their cheap cases - also I knew as soon as I saw it it'd have busted caps - very common issue.

upload_2020-4-20_10-58-32.png

upload_2020-4-20_10-59-2.png

Last edited: Apr 20, 2020
    baronbaldric, FIREWIRE1394 and adz like this.
  5. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Found some of your before photos for reference :sick:

IMAG2653.jpg IMAG2654.jpg IMAG2655.jpg IMAG2656.jpg IMAG2657.jpg IMAG2679.jpg

6. badmofo

badmofo Member

Xen is a bit crap but what a great game otherwise :thumbup:

baronbaldric and Pierre32 like this.
  7. Vanne

Vanne Member

Awesome, i am about 2/3rds of the way through Half life 2, while being stuck in my room, with only this old clunker to play on. Great games.. man Valve made them awesome back then... L4d/l4d2, and one of my old time faves, the cake is a lie. :D

baronbaldric, adz and Pierre32 like this.
  8. Vanne

Vanne Member

Love THIS!!! beautiful card there. a piece of history for sure. Always wanted one, could never afford one. i had to settle for a 285 instead.. sniff.. these will be worth cash, have a look what the voodoo 5 5500 is going for now???? :shock::shock::shock:

baronbaldric and adz like this.
  9. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I was personally happy with just the 285.. never had an interest in the dual GPU cards. At time of their release. They're interesting now though.

Got a winfast 7950GX2 in its plain inner box here. But missing the outer soft box with all the graphics/ writing on it which is irritating. Not much interest in actually using it but they're a bit rare and worth holding onto I think!

baronbaldric, Vanne and adz like this.
  10. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

I have a fondness for the GTX295 as I had one in 2011. Moved to it from two GTX275 cards in SLI. Pretty much a sideways step, but the single PCB GTX295 ran cooler.

I had a look through my emails to see how much I paid for what would have been a two year old card by then. $140 s/h on here. :shock:
    It had been superseded twice by the GTX480 and GTX590 in terms of Nvidia's flagship graphics card by then, but geez. That'd be like paying $140 for a 1080ti now.

It lasted me right up to sometime in 2013, where I moved to a HD7970. There's another card that had longevity on its side!

11. shredder

shredder Member

The sticking price of modern graphics cards over the past few years is annoying. Normally I wait a generation then spend $100-200 on something that plays almost all the latest stuff pretty much at it's best (e.g. the aforementioned 7950/7970's 5-6 years ago), on the rare occasion that I want to - mostly it's about keeping up with new resolutions and enabling intensive emulation effects, etc - but these days it's all "prick-ish RTX special effects you miss out on if you don't pay the better end of $1000", and "awesome VR games game that're a couple of grand just for the hardware price of entry, not that you can even buy it in this country", hardware prices more or less unchanged for ages, etc. It's still $200 for a secondhand something that can do even the acceptable minimum for fancy stuff, these days.

/ranticle

FIREWIRE1394 and Vanne like this.
  12. Reaper

Reaper Member

Oh I hate that 3 number designation. I have a radeon 280 (had to go to the cupboard and check the box, I could never keep up with that generations number scheme), with 3gb memory that was my last card. Freaking monster that required me to remove the bottom drive cages from my TT shark. That involved drilling rivets. Freaking case long monster card. Then I suppose I was "lucky" to get a 6gb 1060 near launch before the mining hike. Thing is only the pcie slot long and still my current card. Anything else now just can't be justified.

Vanne likes this.
  13. Vanne

Vanne Member

I bought a strix 580 8gb card about 3 years ago for duty in my Mac Pro. What a champion card.. can't fault it aside from the gay lights all over it, but boy that thing was cheap, AND it eats pixels.. I think the 980gtx in my drive rig is probably faster, but cost like frikkin 3 times the price. Sadly iRacing runs better on NVIDIA hardware. I've got most dual GPU cards, mostly for completeness sake, though still missing a 295.. lol

Lol also missing a Parhelia 256mb AGP card just in case anyone had one lying around doing jack.. lol

14. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Ditto. I have no interest in spending the sorts of asking dollars on top end GPUs on release.

Much like cars, the devaluation rate is insane. Patient gaming is by far the most cost effective way to enjoy this hobby. Folks just need to learn a little delayed gratification.

15. Reaper

Reaper Member

That's the thing you quoted, what devaluation?

16. elvis

Eh? I don't understand this post.

What I was referring to was the devaluation of GPUs. i.e.: a $1000 card is worth half that in a year, half again in another year. Versus patiently waiting 2 years behind the bleeding edge curve and buying a card for a fraction of the price that can play 2 year old games that have also come down in price.

17. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

He's saying there's not much devaluation anymore, which is true..

As a prime example , thanks to many factors, including the poor aus dollar, 2014's midrange (~$400AUD) GPU performance aka the infamous GTX970 , still costs $200-$250 new today. (RX570 - GTX1650)

As a result GTX970's are still going in the $100 realm 2nd hand, with many yrs use and dust on them..

GTX1080's dropped to ~$650AUD new in in early 2017.. today are still fetching ~400+ 2nd hand . it's pretty bad.

Historically, 6 yo midrange card performance would be had in a $40 bottom of the pricelist thing you swing by MSY for if you just need a video signal and have no IGP

baronbaldric likes this.
  18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

at least the games get cheaper :)

19. Reaper

Reaper Member

As Majord said, and I reiterate; what devaluation? That line of pricing has not existed since the mining boom.

20. elvis

Well fair enough then. I admit I haven't purchased hardware in forever. I've been living off work hand-me-downs for an age, thanks to working in industries that require bleeding edge hardware, and give it away to staff when it's a couple of years old. I guess I'm out of touch with PC pricing.

I will say this though - I can't see the economics of scale lasting much longer in favour of PC gamers though. PC desktop sales are crashing, which means second hand gear is in lower supply. Along with that most 5-7 year old systems can still run modern desktop workloads today, so the push for people to upgrade all the time (excluding industries like the one I work for that needs to be on the bleeding edge all the time) likely also contribute to the problem you are illustrating.

The next 10 years won't be kind to PC gamers, I don't think. Consider also hardware giants like Huawei are entering the GPU market, and announced immediately that they are targeting data centre GPU users, and won't be aiming for desktop gamers at all. Says a lot.