What retro computer activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Dude, you totally missed the point.

Let me quote my own post:
    I repeat: the point IS NOT "oh noes pcs dying". The point is economies of scale get worse when scale decreases.

Please, understand what I'm getting at here. Don't skim the point.

2. Reaper

Reaper Member

What's your fan cleaning method? I just get in with a brush/q-tip/tissue and just wipe them. I usually do the fan blades first then the rest.

My activity today was finally finishing gta4. Bought it at release, loathed the rockstar club shit and didn't like how the driving mechanics worked, so let it sit for ~12 years. lol. Finally decided it's time to play and see the story, it's now on my steam account, the rockstar club bullshit still pisses me off, so two weeks later finished it now. Still sucks compared to san andreas. Had some ok points though and the story was yea, it's ok, was worth the play though, I don't see myself playing again though.

baronbaldric and Vanne like this.
  3. Reaper

Reaper Member

Yea ok, pc's dying was your side point. Righto then; pretty much how it's been since the mining (bit coin), boom. Video cards are the only affected parts for now in that regard. Companies are just greedy, not because of a dip in the market. I'd compare it more to fuel pricing than cars though. Prices are high, people willing and have no choice but to pay them, it trickles down to the 2nd hand market.

Right now it more applies to the vintage market. That is getting expensive as hell for what is essentially useless obsolete technology.

4. elvis

I agree, and it's poisoned all retro hobby stuff I think. I'm seeing consoles today that are well above their new price, which is bananas.

And sadly when you get quality retro YouTubers (RetroRGB, Phil's Computer Lab, 8 bit guy, so on) trying to help the community out with good information, the greed explodes along with pricing. Very frustrating to try and bring people into what should be an economical hobby.

5. millsy

millsy Member

"Just as easy" surely you jest.

I was looking to build a p2 400 system for some nostalgia and holy shit my eyes were watering at the price

MUTMAN likes this.
  6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i wasnt sure if i should report it over on atari forums or not ?
    might be a genuine 'thing' in the original

7. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Well these fans were tame (It was just dust, not baked on grime and they were fairly quiet so I didn't need to oil them or anything)
    So my method was a simple one... Soapy water soaked microfibre cloth and soapy water soaked old toothbush, a quick wipedown with a dry cloth and a paintbrush to remove any fibres.

As for GTA 4.. 100% with you on the driving mechanics sucking ass! HORRIBLE!
    But as a game, I'd take it over San Andreas... Here's the sales line for San Andreas:
    The biggest world ever in a grand theft auto game... And nothing to fucking do in any of it!

Seriously, SA could have been ONE THIRD the map size it was, and still been exactly the same game.
    At least with GTA5 being huge, it gave you stuff to do, and wasn't just never ending fields of void! :lol:
    I judge GTA on the modernisation of each game making the older one unplayable (IE I can't play an older GTA game when a newer one comes out)... and by that metric, there has only been 2 GTA games that were bad... GTA2 (the first was still entirely playable, even better still) and San Andreas. (Vice City SHAT ALL OVER SA, and still does)

baronbaldric, Reaper and Vanne like this.
  8. badmofo

badmofo Member

I'm having a bit of a GTA moment after watching Kim Justice's series on... the GTA series. Part 1 (of 6) here:

Vice City did rock but I have a lot of fond memories of SA too - I'm currently messing around getting them both to work acceptably on my modern machine. There are a mass of mods out there for them both but after testing out an insane amount of texture mods I've settled for original - they weren't ever technically beautiful anyway, there just something about how the worlds are put together:

Untitled.jpg

Vanne likes this.
  9. elvis

I played 1, vice city, 5. Missed a whole bunch in the middle.

I bought 3 on PSN (played on PS4). Tried it for a few hours and just couldn't get into it.

I've started 4 on PS3 three times, and failed three times. Would really like to get into it again and try a bit harder, because it seemed to be ok.

5 was amazing. Played it to completion on 360, and about 50% of the way on PS4. The platform upgrade really made the engine sing. I'd love to see it on a bitchinfast PC.

Vanne and adz like this.
  10. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Well if you had to pick 3, you picked the best 3... :lol: And playing anything older than 5 these days is a super, SUPER tall order.

adz and elvis like this.
  11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

12. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

adz and MUTMAN like this.
  13. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

While not specifically IT retro related, I got my old PMG 800 rotary dial phone working on my ATA adapter finally, took quite a bit of tinkering to get it working!

I still need to replace the bell ringer mechanism inside from a donor phone, but it still works fine as is, just doesn't sound right when its ringing (already tried realignment and I cannot get it right).

IMG_20200422_182336.jpg

14. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Come on man. I don't need to be tempted into more retro ventures. (That's awesome.)

baronbaldric and adz like this.
  15. Grant

Grant Member

I liked Vice City probably better, but man...

16. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

Although IV did have the Batman mod.

Throw on your tights, jump in your whip, and fight crime.

elvis, adz and MUTMAN like this.
  17. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

I am yet to get it working to dial out, as these use the old pulse dialing system where-as the push button phones that replaced these use tone dialing (the familiar number beeps). There is a pulse-to-tone converter available, however I don't care enough to be able to dial out (and its bloody pricey) -- as it is right now, its just a cool piece to have at home in a semi-functional state.

baronbaldric, elvis, adz and 2 others like this.
  18. shredder

shredder Member

Daresay it's something you could Arduino or similar. Wouldn't be legal though, having a homebrewed device directly sending impulses onto the telephone network.

19. Grant

Grant Member

Hook it up to an intercom at the front of the house or something. For bonus points, try to find some megaphone-style horn PA speakers.

adz likes this.
  20. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Correct - needs to have the tick of approval. There are a few converters on the market, however as they are approved they can charge whatever they like.

She works fine for incoming calls, and surprisingly the clarity is very good given the age of the hardware. I've got an interactive doorbell already which pings the phones/tablets. The only limitation on it currently is it cannot do outbound calls - not even 000.