What retro computer activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Vanne

Vanne Member

I too LOVED Vice.. that was just awesome.. and the soundtrack.. holy shit.. the radio stations in that.. i still play the sound file ripped from vice radio station. It just takes me back.. and the ads.. lol!! I guess that was my era..

lol Medalion man!!! :D :D

and best of all!!!!

De-genetron!!!

Played through it twice, once when i was stuck in Lagumanu, otherwise known as Hooker Creek, and it was my first ever introduction to M$ Xbox.

Just the soundtrack brings back so many memories.. Lol yeah i guess it shows i completely loved this game, used to go to sleep at night with just the radio station on (car just sitting there lol)

I have all the others too, and while i loved SA, it (for me wasn't as cool as VC), remember , i grew up with Sonny and Tubs on the TV and ohh so wanted a white testarossa, and a white linen suit with no socks... lol.. *cough*... hahaha

such a cool game, even the loading screen was cool..

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    baronbaldric, adz, Flamin Joe and 2 others like this.
  2. Reaper

Reaper Member

I like the use of the toothbrush, I should start doing that too since I recently bought a pack just for cleaning with.

I just enjoyed the things in SA more such as the driving being 1 million times better, easier to ditch the cops, I get it in gta4, however it's pretty much game over at 4 stars, the radio was billion times better in SA. There were a few times in 4 I lucked out and caught some good songs, even the electro station had some sik beats, but SA radio as a whole was way better. I did enjoy watching the republican rangers in 4, that was funny AF. I actually enjoyed the flying in SA better than 4. Easier to find side things to do in SA as well like the bike riding races, car races, etc. My enjoyment in 4 raised considerably when I found the spawn point of the sultan rs quite by chance really. I kept going there and parking them out front of the safe houses. Another thing I hated in gta 4 was the real lack of places to visit. Such a huge city and you can't interact with 90% of it. And the only things to spend money on were hotdogs, burgers, sodas and guns. I did actually start a helicopter tour, I think that was my funniest moment, while flying over the first bridge I accidently hit F and I bailed out the chopper. lol. Fell straight into the river just missing the bridge. Also no parachutes.

Vice city will be under SA for me because you can swim in SA. For a game that is set in a Miami type area surrounded by water, not being able to swim was a big deal.

Vanne likes this.
  3. Reaper

Reaper Member

Set up one of those prison visiting cell things where you both are isolated and talk on the phones to each other. Call it socially distanced conversions.

Vanne and Grant like this.
  4. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

The soundtracks in both VC and SA just made the game for me and I use to spend time just cruising around listening (and singing along) to songs. One moment which stands out for me for some reason was when I was taking a long cruise in SA out in the countryside near the ocean and the song "Horse With No Name" was playing on the radio. It just seemed like the perfect song to be playing why crusing the open roads of SA and anytime I hear that song it instantly reminds me of that moment.

VC was equally as awesome and I still actually play those Youtube videos on my bluetooth speakers from time to time while at the workbench tinkering around with some 80's hardware. :leet: Love this song when it came on....

Love this comment in the Youtube video posted just a couple of days ago, "Fun fact: Vice city is as old as this song was when vice city came out." :shock: Damn.

adz, Reaper and Vanne like this.
  5. badmofo

badmofo Member

Both SA and VC look pretty great with some easy tweaking for wide screen, etc. Something I didn't know about until recently is that the frame rate limiter in-game is important - anything above about 30fps makes the physics go wonky so some missions are super hard. I can't hack low frames these days but it's easy to turn on during missions if it's a problem.

Here's VC with widescreen + AA turned on, still looks cool:

Untitled.png

Vanne, adz and Flamin Joe like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

That was still a bug all the way to GTA IV, one of the last missions where you had to spam the keys to climp into a chopper would freak out unless you limited the frame rate to 30.

7. badmofo

badmofo Member

I never could get into GTA 4 - there was an uncomfortable mismatch b/w the serious story and the realism of the city and the classic GTA chaos you could unleash. Also it ran like a turd back in the day.

GTA 5 though is a cracker though IMO - the characters are fun and over-the-top again, and the writing is legit funny. The engine is also a thing to behold; I've just spend some time getting decent AA going and it looks beautiful.

adz and Vanne like this.
  8. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol you bastard, I have been playing that Laura Bargaining song way too much ..;)

adz likes this.
  9. Vanne

Vanne Member

I wonder if they will bring out a remake of VC?

10. badmofo

badmofo Member

There's a mod that allows you to play VC with the GTA 5 engine - haven't tried it but reported to be pretty great. The original is a classic - I'm always skeptical of remakes, hard not to cock it up.

adz likes this.
  11. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

Played both GTA Stories games on PSP last year. Good fun, especially the Vice City one. The music is great there too.

adz likes this.
  12. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

Had a revelation moment with the ASUS P3V4X project. I have this board which just wouldn't post. Tried all combinations of RAM and CPU, tried P3 450 and P3 500, various graphics cards and RAM sticks. Even bought a period correct ATX Antec PSU with 36A on +5V and tried 3 different BIOS versions flashed via a USB programmer.

Now a week or two ago I bought a slot1 333 celeron and guess what. The board posts, but.. freezes on post screen and does not go any further. Fascinating.

adz and Reaper like this.
  13. Dwarfer66

Dwarfer66 Member

Playing Rise of the Triad - Dark Water!

adz, elvis and baronbaldric like this.
  14. Reaper

Reaper Member

That how I felt about gta 4 back in 2008. Just hated it after coming straight out of gta sa and VC both which I played the shit out of many times over each. Plus the phone was just so needy. However yea, amazing how 12 years letting it rest, (I quit playing it back in the day at the point you get the first girlfriend, so pretty early), I finally had the patience to give it a shot. I am wanting to get and play gta 5 as well now. 4 just left such a stale taste with me those many years ago that I didn't even look at 5 until recently.

Maybe the slot needs a clean. Have a good look at the solder pins for it too on the back side, pretty sure they were pin throughs. Been a while since I had a slot motherboard.

baronbaldric and adz like this.
  15. GrandmasBoi

GrandmasBoi Member

A Celeron 333 would run 66fsb? Where p3 450 and 500 would be running 100fsb could be something related

baronbaldric likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

GTA Vice City was certainly a favourite, I must be an exception as I really enjoyed GTA IV, not as much as Vice City or GTA 5, but I did enjoy it.

17. OP
    OP
    adz

adz Member

I was just about to mention that, but the manual clearly states that the board supports even 133FSB PIII's. It might be worth trying something like a PII 233 and see how that fares, could just be a really old BIOS.

baronbaldric likes this.
  18. GrandmasBoi

GrandmasBoi Member

I can't remember if sdram went to 66mhz or started at 100mhz but worth a check all the ram used, if they are all 66mhz chips then probably won't post with 100fsb cpu

adz and baronbaldric like this.
  19. Reaper

Reaper Member

Yes. PC66, PC100, PC133.

adz and baronbaldric like this.
  20. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

This. I cleaned the slot with DeoxIT D100L and decided to look inside to see if there is any gunk left. There I noticed one of the pins is broken! According to this datasheet it's pin A89 and in the table the pin is listed as A19# (AGTL+ I/O). And.. I have not idea what that means :). First I thought that maybe it's just connected to pin A19 and I can short these pins with a piece of wire, but A19 is listed as PICD0 (APIC I/O). Could try to repair the pin, or repair the slot, but both are way beyond my soldering skill and equipment if I could just short A19 and A89 that'd be so much easier. Any thoughts?

P.S.: I straightened the broken part of the pin a little bit and the Celeron 333 posted and even let me into BIOS! But P3 450 and 500 still wouldn't post.

Attached Files:

adz, Flamin Joe and Reaper like this.