What retro computer activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

We always thought it said "Mega", being a Megadrive and all.

Pretty funny how stupid we were sometimes.

2. rugger

rugger Member

ISA sound card report for the KT133 Chipset and Athlon XP 1800+

Generic ESS1868 - Works in windows 98, but some DOS games could not access the digital sound.
    Compaq ESS1869 - Works perfect in DOS and Windows 98, ESFM (OPL3 clone) and digital sound, no problems.
    Generic Crystal CS4236B - Works perfect in DOS and Windows 98.
    OPT32W3D - Opti 82C925 - Not detected.
    Vibra 16 with OPL3 - CT2260 - Windows crashes, DOS sometimes works with FM mostly.
    Sound Blaster 16 with OPL3 - CT2230 - Windows works nicely/wavetable works. DOS games work ok if I can configure them for the weird settings this card currently has. Don't notice any faults in OPL3 playback.

Just a quick selection of my sound cards ... doesn't work on everything, but I kinda expected that given how out of range the machine is

Vanne, badmofo, baronbaldric and 2 others like this.
  3. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

There were moments where people started to respond over the top of each other then other moments where multiple people had something to say and they were both over-courteous and waited too long for anyone to speak. When people are passionate about discussion you can have the same problem when there's 3 people in the room so considering it was 8 people overall it was very good.

Like any team of commentators this is something that would organically develop over time. You might even find a subset of the group gel really well for regular videos.

I saw in the youtube comments he himself happily acknowledged this. He did have some interesting things to say about actual games so he's a good fit for the panel.

Working in customer service I chalk up a degree of social over-enthusiasm to the pandemic. Sometimes people have been isolated at home and when they finally venture out they want to talk too much to make up for lost conversation. This is in general too before you even strike a chord of common interest.

I say Sega the wrong way too. I say lots of things the wrong way because I read them phonetically in my head. It can sometimes make me sound uneducated/uncultured but it makes me great at spelling.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    MUTMAN and elvis like this.
  4. rugger

rugger Member

IMG_1161.JPG IMG_1162.JPG IMG_1163.JPG IMG_1164.JPG

My beautiful GA-7ZXE+ motherboard, with an old Athlon XP 1800+, just to show off the capacitor replacement job and added ISA slot.

FIREWIRE1394, Vanne, Pierre32 and 7 others like this.
  5. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Looks great with the modern caps.

Is a gtx660 retro?
    Fixed it!

6. bYrd

bYrd Member

Do you think the quirks with the cards are due to some chipset incompatibility or something else?

7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I'll put my hand up for that :)

8. rugger

rugger Member

Probably a few factors:
    a) CPU is much much faster than anything these devices were designed for.
    b) Motherboard may have some bugs in it's ISA implementation.
    c) Chipset might not be fully compatible.
    d) I might have not soldered a pin or 2 completely correct. I have looked over them and they look fine, but the pads are not really designed for manual soldering :)

First ISA card I tried, Cirrus Logic 5428 doesn't work either.

9. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

I watched the clip last night. I think Bob has a Fosters stubby holder. Not sure if booze helped, those making it or me drinking while watching. :)

I did notice Elvis was the only one sober.

10. elvis

5am wake up for me. I won't lie, I considered breakfast beers. But I needed to be productive for the rest of they day, so coffee it was.

My lovely wife was a life saver and brought in coffee number 2 half way. What an angel.

mAJORD, adz, rugger and 3 others like this.
  11. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

lol at the breakfast beers. I only do that at Christmas but with Champers.

I sort of gathered that with people other time zones. It would have been good to have another female on the panel.

Edit: I probably should watch the second half, as I got distracted.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    elvis likes this.
  12. mwd

mwd Member

My Voodoo 4 w/HDMI has arrived from russia! I did a video

13. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Scored this Sharp 21" TV for the 600XL for next to nothing off FB Marketplace. It's absolutely perfect for retro machines, it supports almost every input, and every TV standard, with a huge number of tweaks available. It even has an advanced menu for individual color adjustment regarding hue and saturation.

The resulting IQ out of the 600XL via svideo is actually quite impressive.

[​IMG]

adz, hutts24, Pierre32 and 5 others like this.
  14. elvis

I built an image posting bot.

https://twitter.com/mame_extras/

Every hour it randomly selects 4 images from the "MAME Extras" images collection (244,810 images currently growing on every release). These include but are not limited to

* Photos of hardware (I've seen SCSI cards and Apple II Z80 addon cards, CPUs, RAM chips, custom ASICs, as well as arcade PCBs and game console hardware)
    * Screenshots of PC, microcomputer, mainframe, arcade, handheld and countless other system games
    * Flyers and advertising for video games and arcade systems
    * Warning screens and other legal preambles that show up before a game runs
    * Screen layout examples for different systems
    * Photos of keyboards, buttons, control panels, joysticks, input peripherals, etc
    * Chip schematics

I just wanted to remind people that MAME is about more than arcades, and even more than about emulation. The amount of retro hardware history it documents and preserves is incredible.

15. RogerWiIco

RogerWiIco Member

I pulled out my Slot 1 Celeron yesterday. Haven't turned it on in 6~ years so I have decided to replace the psu with a more modern fit. I think somebody lately was actually talking about modern psu replacements. Typing "atx power supply molex" gave me a few hits. Instead of researching those brands from 0 anybody here got any good experience or recommendations on finding a atx1 replacement psu?

16. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Here's the recent thread: https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/at-psu-options-for-386-486-pcs.1299620/

I've had no dramas with this guy powering my recently found Socket 7 system: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/48041/silverstone-sfx-bronze-300w-power-supply

Along with one of these: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20P-ATX...Cable-For-Computer-286-386-48T1O/233954885597 (the green & black tails connect to an AT switch, or any toggling switch. They're quite short though, so extensions may be required).

As long as you go with a known brand, you should be fine. The main considerations are number of molex connectors, the need for SATA to molex adapters if it doesn't have enough, and if you'd prefer a modular to reduce clutter.

rugger and RogerWiIco like this.
  17. RogerWiIco

RogerWiIco Member

Thanx for that I knew I read it somewhere recently just couldn't remember if it was a separate thread

Pierre32 likes this.
  18. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Excellent to see this rare and mysterious creation in action :thumbup: Very nice pickup.

rugger likes this.
  19. RogerWiIco

RogerWiIco Member

Picked up a sfx bronze while they are on sale, thanx for the tip. Haven't had time to fit it in yet but looks good,
    - atx 1 plug
    - 2 molex plugs
    - 1fdd plug

Hoping to install it in the next few days. I should be concentrating on my 486 repair instead tho.

20. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Watch out you might get "Fake Famous" using twitter bot... https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/fake-famous

:thumbup: That is a great idea.

MUTMAN likes this.