What retro computer activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I actually think I owned this book!

Flamin Joe and rugger like this.
  2. rugger

rugger Member

I have a couple of YMF718's, and yes, they are quite excellent apart from the abrupt pops on power on/off, once the onboard amp is turned off (most YMF718 cards have jumpers for this)

I reckon why the ALS100 cards typically do not have the jumpers to disable the amp is that the ALS100 codec produces a very weak output signal, which is hard even for amplified speakers to use. The TEA2025B amplifier on the board I modded has a very high 45db gain, which does not help at all in reducing the noise that this card picks up and produces.

adz, baronbaldric and badmofo like this.
  3. Vanne

Vanne Member

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE this story!!!.. I wonder how many of my makeshift C64/128 adventure games will surface... Probably never... lolol.. My c64/128 class disk went in the council cleanup. 3 paramount games come to mind, Defcon4, Crypt and A.S.O.L. (the latter was co-written with a buddy of mine from school, needless to say, it was rather dirty and had characters that were modeled around girls from the year, hmm... very bad... ) , however Defcon4 and Crypt (Crypt more so) were adventure style games, but included senarios based on character development and static backgrounds that displayed low rez mazes/scenes that were formed from changing character maps and using them as backgrounds in a 4x4 grid per char.

I doubt any of them have survived.. though some of the code is probably still in the back of my head somewhere.. def Crypt and Defcon4 are.. lol..

Man that C64 was amazing in what it could do.. And how lucky we were that the school computer room had C128D's.. Pretty bloody awesome!!

anyways, back to my coffee. Thanks for the CastleQuest story. :D

4. badmofo

badmofo Member

Pretty niche issue but for anyone who can't play Keen on their Matrox VGA cards because of broken scrolling, here's a solution: https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?p=961090#p961090

Worked for me anyway.

I'm constantly amazed and delighted at the things nerds choose to spend their time investigating and fixing - nerds rule.

5. Utetopia

Utetopia Member

Mucking about testing out old voodoo cards. Turns out the issues i had were indeed power supply.
    The ST50-F will not post and throw the system after the video card screen with orange garbage splotched in the middle of the screen where the memory test screen should be.

2 out of 3 Voodoo cards post. RIP to the 2nd V3 3000, but it looked down for the count years back when i got it. 1 working Banshee and 1 working Voodoo 3 is a big win. Artifact testing time.

Thanks to Hutts24 for the mobo. :)

Attached Files:

adz, baronbaldric, Vanne and 3 others like this.
  6. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

imo, those silver stone PSU are rubbish.
    I'd never get another one.
    I'm not sure how they gained some fantastic reputation ???
    steer clear :thumbup:

Vanne and Flamin Joe like this.
  7. Utetopia

Utetopia Member

Ha yeah. I bought it nearly 5 years ago and just pulled it out of its box. Wrong purchase but i held onto it as a spare.

MUTMAN likes this.
  8. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I've found in doing warranties that there are many ways besides the obvious (failure rate) that tells the good brands from the poor brands. Let's put it this way, not even Silverstone want their faulty items back.

9. Vanne

Vanne Member

doing a spot of retro bright-ing today... That controller is one of the filthiest ive got/ever had...

IMG_20210507_101017.jpg

IMG_20210507_104105.jpg

Last edited: May 8, 2021
    adz, Pierre32, rugger and 3 others like this.
  10. Utetopia

Utetopia Member

I hope their ST 1200W Gold box isn't on their shit list. About 9 years old & powering my 6900XT. :thumbup:

Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  11. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Interested in selling it? I need a bunch of parts from a V3 3000 to get mine back to former glory (namely the heatsink and rear plate).

12. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Catching up with an old friend. I'd like to put together a thread at some stage to showcase some of its homebrew exclusives that are now lost to time, and the important role it played in the ARM emulation scene before mobile phones arrived. I've just picked up a couple of cheapo phone tripods from ebay so I can attempt to capture some footage.

upload_2021-5-7_20-12-56.png

adz, Utetopia, GumbyNoTalent and 3 others like this.
  13. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

Was browsing tumblr for cool images of old Japanese computers and games (again) and came across this image. Oh, man the entire setup. Instant boner alert.

tumblr_onltfnnNEK1sfmb47o1_1280.jpg

WuZMoT, adz, genxor and 9 others like this.
  14. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Absolute smut! Pure filth.

15. Utetopia

Utetopia Member

I'd be glad to offload that nasty contraption of a heatsink. It's too low and hits the AGP slot causing the dreaded beeeebeebeep lol. No rear plate on this guy.

16. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

The Sharp X68000's were awesome machines, in many ways probably better than the Amiga. Pure lust.

Vanne and baronbaldric like this.
  17. mwd

mwd Member

Got myself a Winchip2 CPU and have started benchmarking it. Interesting chip actually.

I'll do a video once ready.

MUTMAN, Vanne, Pierre32 and 4 others like this.
  18. Mistikal

Mistikal Member

Will PM you, thanks.

19. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Oh man, that's a brand name I haven't heard in a LONG time.

I remember they were a bit lower performance, but really marketed hard on power usage. They had a fair bit of embedded systems market from memory.

Probably make a good low spec Pentium DOS rig replacement these days.

20. mwd

mwd Member

I haven't tested a WinChip 1 yet (which are meant to be slow) but this WinChip 2 is really fast in 3d games. I am surprised.

Vanne, Pierre32 and elvis like this.