What retro computer activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Hater

Hater Member

so i've had a few weeks off from retro-ing because my hoard is at work, and i am at home, and i can't go to work because lock down. ok thats a lie ive been going there to tidy up and do random stuff like clean light fittings and stuff that i never get a chance to when people are around to tell you off about using ladders and stuff but yeah you get the gist

so what do you do?

just start a new hoard at home :(

this hoard is aptly named the sammy hoard as it only exists as a direct result of... well, sammy_b0i

[​IMG]

FIREWIRE1394, adz, Pierre32 and 4 others like this.
  2. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

If you buy them instead of me, then I don't have figure out a lie I can tell myself everytime I'd see them on my shelves.

JaC and adz like this.
  3. Hater

Hater Member

“investment”

adz likes this.
  4. badmofo

badmofo Member

Something worked first try for me today, a retro miracle. I've tried a few USB -> PSX controller adapters on my Windows XP machine previously and they do work, kinda-sorta. There was always annoyances with them around the analog to digital mode switch, and I never got a peep out of the rumble motors with ePSXe.

Someone mentioned using a Logitech F710 with ePSXe but the post was from years ago - these controllers have been around since 2011 from what I can tell so I wasn't confident that they'd still work with Windows XP; the fact that it's wireless made me even less confident. But XP picked it up no worries, and after running 'Xbox360_32Eng.exe' (also suggested in a long lost post) it works like a charm - sticks, analog->digital mode switch, and rumble much to my delight. It being wireless also rocks - I have more than enough wires hanging around my retro station as it is. It even matches my Lian Li case :thumbup:

Recommended :thumbup:

upload_2021-8-31_20-34-15.png

Wozzernux, adz, FIREWIRE1394 and 3 others like this.
  5. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

What a coincidence. Just today I finished a complete disassemble and clean of my F710. Bought it in JB Hi Fi in 2016 and been using it for 5 years to beat countless games on PC.

Used sugar soap, dried all parts thoroughly, isopropyl’d all the contacts. It works great as it was bought yesterday.

Also decided to try something new and desoldered and removed the motors. Having fun with a lighter fit, very unusual after 5 years of playing.

PS: was very surprised to see this gamepad is quite advanced inside.

My 2 minor gripes with this controller: 1. reception is not the best. Use of the provided extension cable helped me with that, just placed the receiver on my desk and responsiveness improved.
    2. dpad has 4 detached plastic standoffs placed beneath it, and they rattle and roll a bit. You get used to it. Just heed my advice - if you do reassemble the pad - put standoffs smooth side to the rubber and tighten the screws holding the pcb TIGHT. Otherwise standoffs will rattle even more and the dpad will become mushy.

Wozzernux, adz, badmofo and 1 other person like this.
  6. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I put up a floating shelf to store some of my big box PC games.

20210831_173323.jpg

20210831_213841.jpg

Since this freed up a bit of shelf space I took the opportunity to rearrange some of my games, trying to get series together.

20210831_213941.jpg 20210831_214705.jpg 20210831_213859.jpg

Can you guess what genre of games I prefer :p

JaC, Vanne, bester and 7 others like this.
  7. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

A fellow shmupper eh?

Seriously though, very neat setup. Looks great!

DonutKing likes this.
  8. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Today has been moving one of the retro hoards from one room to another.
    Everyone's up to such cool stuff, and I'm moving a bunch of shit I never use from one place to another so I can not use it some more...

sigh.

You have a fine taste and a fine collection of RTS sir

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  9. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

That's not really what I was going for but since you posted a clip from the turtles movie, I'm going to allow it.

Thank you! I think every retro enthusiast goes through the stage of relocating stuff they don't have time to play with. My Amigas have lived in a cupboard in the garage for the last 2 years :'( I could never get rid of them though.

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Sorry, was my very crap attempt at humour. Back in my box... :)

JaC, DonutKing and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  11. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

My Windows 3.1 - 7 PC's and my Dreamcast say hello to your Amigas.

I've also awarded you a bonus like for not only having Dark Reign, but also the expansion. If I could award you another like for that C&C collection I would, mine went years ago and got replaced by some small box versions of the first decade and ultimate collections.

JaC and DonutKing like this.
  12. BiggusDickus

BiggusDickus Member

I have similar tastes and probably my biggest motivation for setting up a retro gaming rig. Modern games of this genre just don't really stack up to the old stuff. The X-COM remake didn't really float my boat and I vastly prefer the original. Very jealous that you have that title in your collection, a true classic.

DonutKing likes this.
  13. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

I actually quite liked the new X-com but it is very different to the original.
    have you tried Xenonauts?

14. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

That shelf is entirely too nice. I'm thinking you should redo it in stained cardboard and duct tape, ideally with a nice, artistic lean to it.

MUTMAN likes this.
  15. rugger

rugger Member

This is almost retro ... but sadly .... indicative of enterprise computing.

I took an old PCI-E to Parallel and Serial Port card I had kicking around at home to work and got a 10 year old label printer working on a computer in a factory office. The label printer had ethernet, parallel and serial on it, but no USB for anything resembling a modern computer.

Sadly, the first PCI-E parallel card I tried in the computer wasn't fully compatible. The dodgy cheap card with china special drivers that I had worked fine!

MUTMAN likes this.
  16. partybear

partybear Member

My games shelf is hanging on the wall at a pretty big lean, it will probably hit me on the head one day haha.

rugger likes this.
  17. bYrd

bYrd Member

You can still get these at EB Games but prices fluctuate. Battery life is amazing - a good 12months+ I find. Using one on a Raspberry Pi setup.

I've become a fan of the "computer of the month" desk in my house - a 1200mm desk with drawers I got from Officeworks for $9 just before the pandemic hit. A good VGA/DVI monitor, KVM and go for your life. It's almost become a challenge to fit as much in and around the desk neatly before someone comments, and so far nobody has said nothing :)

18. breech

breech Member

My daily controller is a Logitech F710, agree on the very long battery life. My only gripe is iphones tend to interfere with the wireless.

This post is incomplete without pics.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  19. Grant

Grant Member

I love the F710, but I've had at least 5 of them, and at least 3 of them have failed on me within a year or so (replaced 2 under warranty). From memory comparing with a working one, they'd die while playing a game (with the batteries not dead), and not even show an indicator LED with fresh batteries. Congrats to the people that have long-lived ones, because they're really good when they work and the DirectInput/XInput switch is really handy, but if I wanted to use mine again I'd go for the wired F310.

20. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

under $70 at a few retail places