1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

What retro computer activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

If it's a lottery, I must have all the luck. All my Garbage Antec PSU's are fine regardless of age, use, or level of care.

But judging on how shit people all think they are, I might have to crack them all open again just to check as a safety measure.

rugger likes this.
  2. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Don't open them up. That's when the problems appear! They're Schrödinger-diddly fine.

adz, MUTMAN, JaC and 5 others like this.
  3. rugger

rugger Member

I totally expect antec PSUs to be like this when I buy them. I buy them when for recapping and refurbishing. As long as it hasn't blown up yet, it is good for refurbishing.

So yeah, if you are going to get rid of it, send it my way!

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  4. baronbaldric

baronbaldric Member

Well. I have 2 now and both have the same problem. I'm learning how to repair electronics now so it's a good specimen for me to experiment with. From my limited knowledge of PSUs both my antec supplies have caps busted in the sleep/wake circuitry area. I disabled all sleep/wake (on LAN etc) functionality in BIOS and at least the first one works fine. I haven't tried the second one yet. But yeah I'm definitely recapping them and will play with them further when I buy an oscillograph.

Just a little reluctant to do a recap yet, because I want to learn how to discharge them properly. Watched a couple videos and it appears caps in some cirquits need to be discharged when the device is completely off and some when device is in standby. So want to understand how some of this stuff works first before jumping in.

5. rugger

rugger Member

Discharging PSUs isn't that hard, for the most part they will discharge themselves pretty quickly after disconnecting from power. A good way for a quick discharge of the primary caps is to press the power button on the computer with the PSU connected but the power cord unplugged. This will try to start the PSU in high power mode making sure the primary caps are drained.

You can check this by using a multimeter between the leads of the 2 large primary side capacitors. If they are storing less than 20V or so, it is all safe. If not, leave it for another hour or 2. You could short them out with a high power resistor, but typically decent PSUs already have a discharge resistor built in. The other capacitors on the board would only be storing a trivial voltage.

The biggest thing I worry about with PSU repairs are making sure I don't mess up or bridge any connections on the PCBs, and that I reassemble everything properly so I don't short it when I try to run it.

The problems you are talking about are not with the sleep/wake circuitry (that is on the motherboard), but with the standby power rail. This runs all the time, so often will die first. The kicker is that the standby power rail needs to be working somewhat so the motherboard can send the signal to the PSU to fully start up when you press the front button on the computer.

It is definitely worth trying a recap first before deciding to give up on any of those particular Antec units.

BTW. Tube amps you have to be really careful with because there is high voltage capacitors everywhere. On a PSU, you really only have the 1 or 2 Primary side capacitors to worry about.

adz, Pierre32, MUTMAN and 2 others like this.
  6. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

At least I know where to send my bombs when I open them up. I have about 7 that have never blown up (+ 2-5 because I'm always finding shit I've forgotten about), but it's been a while since I checked/cleaned any of them. Most recent one would have been tested last year, oldest close to 8 years)

So I'll Set aside a pallet now!

adz, baronbaldric and rugger like this.
  7. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Work from home means a lot of MIDI OSTs through the SC-D70, and I am loving the sound of this thing. The acoustic guitar in some of the Age of Empires tracks has really grabbed me, but also the bass and percussion and everything. Here is Sh'Washa from the Rise of Rome expansion. There are a few recordings of this on YT which don't specify what the capture device is; I'm guessing they use the built in MS GS synth. The SC-D70 is clearly a cut above. Conveniently captured here direct from USB, which I hope to do plenty more of.

Give it some stick.

Taking listening recommendations!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    hutts24, Vanne, baronbaldric and 2 others like this.
  8. badmofo

badmofo Member

Wow that does sound great! Not very classy of me but I really like Blood's setup program midi (setmain), and this bodacious midi version of 'All night long'.

Attached Files:

Vanne, baronbaldric, adz and 2 others like this.
  9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

wow mate, thats very good
    crystal clear :thumbup:

Vanne and Pierre32 like this.
  10. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

The penny didn't drop on what All Night Long was until I played it. That made my day :D I went and grabbed this next https://www.midiworld.com/files/639/ - and a world outside VGM has opened up.

This has me thinking crazy thoughts. I did some DJing through the aughts (along with half the population). The decks are in storage now, the late nights done and the vinyl too much effort to lug around. I stopped playing out before digital drew me in. But the house parties still happen, and there's an early evening cocktail ambience to these tunes. A Sound Canvas fits into a laptop bag. I wonder if there's any DOS or 9x software that you can mix MIDIs with? Sounds fun. Probably the beer talking. But standing behind the decks was always beer talking.

11. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

12. Vanne

Vanne Member

That’s funny, I’ve just been playing blood2.. pretty awesome that. Loved blood too.. great sound tracks. :)

adz and badmofo like this.
  13. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lovely capture Pierre ;)

Pierre32 likes this.
  14. badmofo

badmofo Member

I've been messing around with Gothic, released in 2001 and basically unplayable on modern machines. Thankfully dedicated fans have been updating it over the years and there are various patches and kits available to modernise it, including a DX11 render which adds all sorts of good stuff - SMAA, HBAO, wet textures, real-time shadows, god rays, etc. One thing I don't like about the new renderer though is that it brightens up the forests - dark, ominous forests are one of the things I like most about this game.

To try and bring back some of that gloom back and hide the fact that it's actually a very small game world, I've spent hours (more than I'd care to admit) tweaking fog settings. I'm pretty happy with it now... or am I?

GothicMod 2021-09-15 19-49-38.png GothicMod 2021-09-15 21-49-09.png

baronbaldric, callan, adz and 5 others like this.
  15. Vanne

Vanne Member

Got linky mate?

16. badmofo

badmofo Member

17. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol, no I already have the gothic universe edition, I meant linky for the mods. (Mines on steam though) ;j

I’ve never played it though.. looks good.. and just noticed Ghotic 1 is getting a remake/re-release.

maybe put it up for retro play of the month :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  18. aleckon

aleckon Member

Wish me luck...will be plugging mine into the good stuff (240v) later this evening

MUTMAN, adz, Pierre32 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Break a leg :thumbup:

[Disclaimer: All care, no responsibility etc... :D]

rugger and adz like this.
  20. power

power Member

Speaking of Gothic, i just watched this yesterday.

10:45

rugger likes this.