1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

What retro computer activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Draxx

Draxx Member

I didn't think the 1Ghz parts were faulty. I know the 1.13Ghz ones were though.

adz and MUTMAN like this.
  2. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

indeed :o
    two decades fades the memory a bit :)

adz and Draxx like this.
  3. Draxx

Draxx Member

For sure. I had to look it up first before I posted just to confirm, so I didn't look like a complete idiot!

adz, FIREWIRE1394 and MUTMAN like this.
  4. Trizae

Trizae Member

The fact you're playing NOLF you're an absolute GUN still doesn't play quite nice on modern tech and the sad story of that game and the rights is heart breaking. the most perfect dark/goldeneye and just all round awesome pc game :)

FIREWIRE1394 and Pierre32 like this.
  5. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

I've got NOLF queued up on the XP box too. Just yesterday I saw a passing mention on Vogons that it had some kind of inflexibility with its MIDI music output. And I thought what? I thought it was all wav. So I went googling and found this insanely detailed article about how the soundtrack was composed.

DLS = custom soundfonts, basically. There is so much more to the article though.

https://www.iasig.org/index.php/resources/resources-menu/20-aan-no-one-lives-forever

elvis and Trizae like this.
  6. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

The Operative: No One Lives forever, is a great game. But it doesn't hold a candle to No One Lives Forever 2 A Spy in H.A.R.M.'s Way, which is one of the best games ever made. But yes, the fact you can't buy the games because of licensing is quite saddening.

It's a complicated situation that I will go into more when No One Lives forever 2 turns 20 later this year.
    Monolith made the game, but there's a lot of publishers who can lay claim to it, and no one is exactly sure who owns the rights. Warner Bros. has the biggest claim to it, but if they tried to do anything they would be hearing from lawyers of Activision (Now Microsoft) and Vice Versa.

It was complicated, and then mergers and take overs, and new owners, and divided assets have happened over the past 20 years that mean these games are only alive thanks to fan efforts.

Trizae likes this.
  7. Grant

Grant Member

Wow, I didn't realise you could actually "upload" these to the MS synth from a game, I thought the synth just looked at the fixed path for gm.dls.

8. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

This makes me want to see how (in)compatible it is with Linux+WINE.

9. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

The Power Mac 7300 I recently dug out of storage to get going again has fought me every step of the way.

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/19129123/

bYrd warned me of the brittle plastics, but even being gentle and warming them up a little the PCI cover snapped and the power button had already broken. The plastic sliders and foot survive, for now...

The first problem was the PSU - it went bang as soon as power was connected. Bought a replacement off eBay, which works fine.

IMG20220427144040.jpg

I had a few wins - SCSI devices seem to be reliable, with the 2.1GB Seagate ST52160N HDD and SCSI CD-ROM working fine. The floppy reads disks at least. It had 480MB of RAM installed, which is plenty. I had it all set up with Mac OS 7.5.3 then 8.1 and it seemed to be working quite well.

IMG20220427144128.jpg

But I had the occasional blank screen on boot (it still made the chime). I thought reseating the VRAM would help, but unfortunately that ended up killing the machine. On closer inspection, it looks like a cap near the VRAM has leaked. There could be damage in that area, or it could just be the VRAM itself is flakey.
    I think this is the first retro project I'm going to give up on - it really needs recapping, potentially some trace repairs and sourcing some new VRAM.

Vanne, FIREWIRE1394, adz and 3 others like this.
  10. bYrd

bYrd Member

What a little shit - how was it stored? I've not come across many leaky caps in late 90's Macs but suppose every machine will need it eventually. Video resolution is very dependent on having a healthy PRAM battery so I suppose if there is bad cap nearby that wouldn't help.

I might have some 7300 VRAM in my box of crap if you ever need.

11. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

It was stored quite well indoors, but would have been more or less at ambient temperature which wouldn't have helped. Time catches up to everything I guess - good reminder to not keep things for the sake of it.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll list it as a project for someone else - it doesn't quite have enough nostalgia for me to justify the pain. :lol:

MUTMAN and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  12. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Looks at an old Mac classic 2 on the floor with a SCSI ext disk but no cable. Keeping it at the moment as it has a truckload of disks about a certain industry history. I havent fired it up in 15 years thou. It did work post y2k, but fuck me loading word off disks to just find one file. Nope. I did it once but not again. Fuck you lawyers.

13. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I'll have to steal this line next time I do a clean up.

MUTMAN and BuuBox like this.
  14. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

15. andrewbt

andrewbt Member

adz, mAJORD, MUTMAN and 2 others like this.
  16. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

adz and MUTMAN like this.
  17. ThunderbirdMoz

ThunderbirdMoz Member

I know right? If the handshake didnt complete successfully that was 20-25 cents down the drain, which quickly added up if there had been a bit of rain. I used to walk out of the room so I didnt have to hear it to keep my blood pressure low. Lol

Flamin Joe and MUTMAN like this.
  18. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

i swear i could tell if it wasn't going to connect at 56k just on that noise ....

Flamin Joe, adz, mAJORD and 1 other person like this.
  19. Vanne

Vanne Member

Yup. For me that was 36.6. ;)

Flamin Joe and MUTMAN like this.
  20. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

I was thinking of this but had no idea how to ever find it! that's great. Love the human-like interpretation's in that. And that's just the handshake.

I still remember a lesson on Modem theory back in the very early 2000s it would have been. Went into great detail the evolution of modulation schemes and what not over the years and whilst I don't remember F - All of the detail now, I distinctly remember A : being blown away by the genius of them, and B: after moving through several generations, and barely grasping the concepts , the lecturer informing us we were only up to, I think maybe 14.4K or 19.2 I'm not sure (19.2k appears to be Trellis - not even sure if we got that far) Anyway, essentially, I'd been floored by how much trouble these modems were going to to cram what was at the time, generations old, shithouse data rates down an awful phoneline. As you say, you really appreciate it a lot more once know what's going on, and perhaps realize how many 'level's high you have to be to have any human comprehension of how modern stuff works.

That's the magic of computing, and digital systems in general I think, and why this Retro hobby will always be interesting. Be it software, hardware, or in this case Data transmission - The further you go back, the further you can drill down and still appreciate / be amazed at the technology. It's somewhat irrelevant how old it is. After all, a lot of these technologies and modulation schemes still exist in the cutting edge, they'rre just many many levels down and / or expanded apon over time.

Flamin Joe, adz, MUTMAN and 1 other person like this.