1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

What retro computer activity did you get up to today?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by adz, Jan 28, 2014.

1. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Not quite
    IMG_20220613_181725.jpg
    This is just random tat from pax.

The cab is games family 3000-in-1. A typical Chinese pentium 4 stuffed with questionable content :Pirate:
    Nah, I do have Xenoblade 2 on switch, but I haven't gotten around to playing it yet, I'm playing FF8 remaster atm.
    don't play monster hunter, but seen plenty of gameplay.

adz, Flamin Joe, Trizae and 1 other person like this.
  2. CRTified

CRTified Member

Amazing room qwertylesh, truly epic. So much cool Mario stuff. That 1-UP jacket is mint. The shy guy. The game boys. The mushroom. The ? cube. The posters. I repeat, so much cool stuff, it's almost overwhelming. Before you even get to the shelves. I can't even look at that top shelf, it's blinding. :D

qwertylesh likes this.
  3. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

MUTMAN hey where did you source those little clear handheld console stands? were they DIY or can you link me :)

MUTMAN and Trizae like this.
  4. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

They are from the FB G&W group. Invite only, but I think I can add you or definitely adicakes can :thumbup:

They were about 8 bucks each delivered iirc. But extremely high quality so worth it in my books.
    Come as a 4 piece Flatpack with the usual brown sticky paper on them ....:weirdo:

Etched with two different logos so you can set them up either way :thumbup:
    PXL_20220615_062115161.jpg

Also have a little cutout for the dual screens to hook into. Hard to explain, but makes them secure open or closed :thumbup::thumbup:

PXL_20220615_062210427.jpg

PXL_20220615_062219975.jpg

Utetopia, adz, qwertylesh and 3 others like this.
  5. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

You have added a lot since you got "The Horde" all those years ago. :D
    Still need moar plastic

qwertylesh and MUTMAN like this.
  6. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Aaahh thank you for all of the info :)
    I'm not on the meat chefs website though. I do have 3 game and watches I think, I don't remember :lol: was hoping they were avail for other handhelds, I might look around for equivalents ^_^

What sort of crippling spending habit would it be if I hadn't :D:lol: but mainly have added a comfy space to sit back and play some of it when I find time.

Daft_Munt and MUTMAN like this.
  7. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I literally only look at the G&W group :D
    The rest of it holds no interest to me.

I will have a look next time I login, I think the seller has a Etsy shop ???? Not sure, but he may have other gear ??

qwertylesh likes this.
  8. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Last night one of these appeared on Gumtree in Wollongong for $100.

https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/793485811/sony-pvm-14l5-14-monitor-retro-gaming

While I wrung my hands pondering whether to drop everything and fly down from Sydney, it sold. I will feel much better if someone here scored it. But if it turns up relisted, I hope that person gets fleas and an endless stream of tyre kickers.

adz, Trizae, Vanne and 4 others like this.
  9. Vanne

Vanne Member

Won a sharp X68000 pro keyboard today for ok cash, but it's missing 3 key caps.. reportedly works fine.. will see how that pans out.

Pierre32, adz, MUTMAN and 1 other person like this.
  10. partybear

partybear Member

I got two broken gameboy advances that wouldn't turn on today, I pulled them both apart and cleaned the power switch and they both work perfectly haha.

breno, elvis, Pierre32 and 6 others like this.
  11. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

No super retro, but did some maintenance on my Acer TravelMate 7730 laptop.

It's a late 2008 desktop replacement with some reasonable specs: T9550 C2D processor, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT 512MB, 17" 1440 x 900 display.

IMG20220616124351.jpg

I like it because of the fairly capable CPU and GPU and how easy it is to work on - just about everything is accessible. It was also very cheap. :D

IMG20220614114211.jpg

Swapped out the CMOS battery for a new one and installed a 500GB Seagate SSHD. Installed Windows 7 for testing, but I intend to put Vista on it for some nostalgia.

IMG20220614113753.jpg

IMG20220614113940.jpg

FIREWIRE1394, Pierre32, adz and 5 others like this.
  12. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

upload_2022-6-22_21-8-14.png

Something a little different tonight: AutoCAD release 12 on my socket 7 box. This was a bit of a pig to get up and running, throwing all sorts of arcane error messages, and there's very little help to be found online. I still don't have the mouse working.

This is just a stepping stone to a dumb little idea. I want to get the previous release running (R11, aka AutoCAD 386) on a 386. Then for laughs, set it up at work for a week, with some of our actual drawings loaded up. Just getting current drawings saved back to this era is a whole thing. From the current software (2022) I'm able to save back as far as R14. To go further I had to install R14 on my XP rig, open them there and save them to R12. These opened fine for me (albeit missing chunks of incompatible detail) and I think they will open in R11. I'm just showing one of the bundled sample drawings above though.

All going well, the setup will include a period correct digitiser something like this:

upload_2022-6-22_21-16-38.png

Trizae, adz, BiggusDickus and 5 others like this.
  13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Hope you can add one of these

plotter.jpg

adz, BiggusDickus, Flamin Joe and 2 others like this.
  14. badmofo

badmofo Member

That's a labour of love for sure, nice work. I owe a lot to AutoCAD, its power-hungry-ness resulted in my father having to upgrade regularly, which meant discarded hardware for me. I remember the day he got 16MB of RAM - he was a god (briefly).

adz, Pierre32 and MUTMAN like this.
  15. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

It would be the icing on the cake!

adz and MUTMAN like this.
  16. CRTified

CRTified Member

Oh gawd, I remember that dance, and all it's million iterations. PTSD flashbacks from spending years orchestrating projects where every subbie used a different version of AutoCAD, and half of them used offbrand non-AutoCAD solutions. And then the GIS people started coming in. So we need everything as a shape file please, and preferably a geodatabase, ok. Oh but can I have that geodatabase for my R14 setup? Just send us those dwg's and we'll print them off at our end. Umm, we can't open them. Hey this layer looks really weird, like half the data is missing or something. Anyway just make these 20 changes and then send it back out. And if X could have his data in ObscureCAD form that'd be greeeat.

<shudder>

A twisted form of admiration that you dive into any part of that pool for fun. :tongue:

adz, MUTMAN, elvis and 1 other person like this.
  17. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

I share your PTSD falshbacks.

My first "real" job was IT/sysadmin for a global architecture firm. They did big sporting stadia (Stadium Australia, Lang Park / Suncorp Stadium, Eden Park NZ, Wembley Stadium UK, Nanjing Asia Games full park, Beijing Aquatic Centre, etc, etc).

Between getting strong lugging around 21" CRTs and setting up endless CAD workstations, it's all a bit eye twitchey for me.

Although I did get over it years later and re-embrace CAD for all of my arcade machine building. But I use the hippy free stuff, certainly not AutoDesk products. But for extra punishment I do use AutoDesk stuff in my current work in film and TV, and it's just as terrible today.

'Nam flashbacks aside, beautiful setup Pierre32 . Very nicely done. :)

adz, Flamin Joe and Pierre32 like this.
  18. Pierre32

Pierre32 Member

Experiencing R14 again was a shock - it runs so fast. This software has become unforgivably slow and bloated over the years. If I ever need CAD for a personal project, I think I'll be doing it on the XP rig.

I've been pondering this little project for a good year, but stopped myself every time by asking why I would want to ruin my leisure time with CAD. Gross! But then there was one of those conversations at work the other week, where the older guys were talking about starting on paper and moving to their first computers, and there were younger guys who'd never touched DOS or seen a digitiser. I know all of them will get a kick out of this - but it's gonna be a lot of screwing around for something that will be a 30 second novelty :D

MUTMAN and elvis like this.
  19. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

Same goes for literally every AutoDesk product.

I've had the misfortune of seeing behind the curtain too. Their development team is atrocious. The whole company lives off acquisition, and their mantra is to "never improve, only occasionally tack on things", and all of their products end up going stale or stodgy. Pretty sad for a company with so much potential.

I'm hearing this story more and more now. My last job (film industry) the old geezers were chatting about Alias Wavefront and Photoshop on SGI IRIX (UNIX) workstations and 3DSMax on DOS, and the juniors were all "I grew up with Windows XP, have never touched a non-Microsoft system, and have never seen a single-core CPU". :lol:

Pierre32 likes this.
  20. gdjacobs

gdjacobs Member

#firstworldproblems?