1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

What Retro Console Activity did you get up to today

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Daft_Munt, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Grant

Grant Member

Sage words

2. bester

bester Member

A number of people have them on order, so they will test out what the process involves and provide feedback on the result.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

"Shadow Man" - a kind of middle of the road early 3D action title, re-released and re-mastered by Night Dive Studios (with retro YouTuber MVG on staff).

Original game was on all sorts of platforms spanning a couple of generations, which makes it pretty interesting. Not many PS1/N64 games saw a direct port to Dreamcast across generations like that (lots of sequels from PS1 to PS2, etc, but not a whole game ported like that).

The new version is on everything (watch the video on YouTube for links where you can buy it. I'm particularly happy it's on GOG, DRM-free, and recommend all PC gamers support that as a priority).

bester, Pierre32 and MUTMAN like this.
  4. power

power Member

John talked about this release a while back.

elvis likes this.
  5. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

heh, finally bit the bullet and ordered one of those gdemu clones. I've been watching the official site on/off for years, but never come across it at the right time. lol

Wasn't sure what the deal was with Bitfunx/Retroscaler at first, having never used AliExpress before... Thought they might of been clones of clones etc. but both come up with the same business details when you look into them, just free shipping with Retroscaler. So I guess they're just writing shipping off as an expense to build faith in a second brand. I'll take it. Saved me like $15, then a random google coupon gave me another $16 off.

So all in for $123 posted for the 5.20.3 gdemu clone and the slick looking injection molded cover/sd extender to hide it all. Not too shabby.

upload_2022-1-15_5-13-7.png

Side note: Colour me impressed with the AliExpress cart. Automatically grouping things by seller, then allowing you to pick what to actually take to the checkout, rather than an all or nothing approach. It's surprisingly well done.

FIREWIRE1394, MUTMAN and breech like this.
  6. elvis

OpenLara on GBA:

And 3DO:

MUTMAN likes this.
  7. Vanne

Vanne Member

open lara pretty impressive on the GBA. :)

8. adicakes

adicakes Member

Neo Geo MVS is not really a console, but anyway. ;) Had some MVS carts land, and as always, a good clean inside out was required. Must say though, this example of Kabuki Klash must've come from the dingiest, grimiest dive arcade in Hong Kong. Far out, gross! The photos don't convey the smell of ancient tobacco tar. Everything cleaned up nicely though, including the splodge on the top PCB. :)
    IMG_20220115_162719880.jpg IMG_20220115_162748926.jpg

9. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

Nice work on the cart :thumbup:
    Old ciggies tar has a special smell alright :sick:

Cleaning out my PC back in the early 2000's helped me give up the ciggies.
    The fans quite literally had tar dripping off them. Bloody gross :tongue::tongue:

10. elvis

The WiiU release date was November 2012, which means it's not quite "retro" yet by our club rules. However Cemu, the popular WiiU emulator, has announced it's going open source soon:

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Cemu-2022-Plans

This means good things for non-Windows users, and devices like the upcoming Steam Deck. But there's also some potential speedups in using open source tools like LLVM to get the internal CPU translation working a little faster too (for all platforms, Windows included).

I look forward to seeing what position this is in for its 10 year anniversary, and induction into club retro.

11. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Be a while before the gdemu clone rocks up, but the dreamcast itself rocked up today. VMU should get here tomorrow. :D

Had to burn a cd for the first time in forever. That was retro in itself. 2 even failed... 10/10, exactly how I remember it. lol

Looks a bit bare without logos, but I'll fire up the cricut or whatever and fix that up later.
    IMG_20220120_183036.jpg

PSO wanted a serial and a memory card, so crazy taxi got the privilege of first game played in almost 20 years. Soon as i heard offspring with that controller in my hand, my brain immediately remembered how to turbo boost and we were off and racing. :thumbup:
    IMG_20220120_185249.jpg

12. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

^ What did you use to burn the CD? I havent had many issues with disk juggler. Even have some 99 minute CD-Rs.

13. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Tried discjuggler initially, then tried imgburn with similar results.

Possibly resolved itself now though. Went from every 2nd disc failing at ~90%, to burning half a dozen in a row, so who knows.

Couple of dodgy discs at the top of the spindle, or maybe the drive just needed a few runs to get moving smoothly, since it's never actually been used before and has sat quietly unnoticed in an all-in-one pc for years. lol

14. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

My burner doesnt get used much. I try and kep my CDRs in a cupboard/draw.

15. elvis

100% illegal clone of the RetroTink.

16. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

And not that much cheaper considering the BOM would amount to a couple of bucks

17. elvis

I'm looking for a GameCube Broadband adaptor to test my NAS software out. Second hand they're $200+, and I'm a bit tight and don't want to buy one just to test for 24 hours and never use again.

Anyone on OCAU got one that they're willing to lend me for a bit? I'll pay postage both ways of course.

ThunderbirdMoz and qwertylesh like this.
  18. self_slaughter

self_slaughter Member

Almost have this dreamcast sorted out. Was playing ntsc games at 50Hz, which was just weird, so I converted it back into a jap unit to sort that out. (why it was converted to pal in the first place I have no idea). But that simple job soon got complicated when the av/serial port literally just fell off the board when I opened it up, so a 5 minute region change became a midnight repair session with no flux,braid,or magnifying glass to back me up... Thank god for camera phones for a quick verification before buttoning it back up. lol

But, she's happy now. Games are full screen, centered and running at the correct refresh rate, and the av cord is no longer temperamental. (or rather, the port itself is firmly attached to the motherboard now and doesn't require "jiggling" to line up internally). Happy days. Go to bed and a few hours later the memory card starts beeping its tits off and I couldn't shut it up. fffff. Ended up just yeeting the batteries and calling that one a lost cause. Things filthy yellow anyway, it can live its life as a backup memory card.

But, The universe thanked me, and I got the notification that the gdemu clone cleared customs this morning. Fingers crossed that rocks up on Monday and I'll never have to open a dreamcast again. (even if it is one of the easiest consoles I've ever had to work on). :D

19. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Ahahahahaha!
    Nice one:lol:

If you own one, you're forever opening it.

20. Alessiman

Alessiman Member

I havent played Time Crisis since the late 1990's. Since i recently picked up a 21" Sony Wega i just had to take the Guncon out for spin

Surprisingly, It's like riding a bike, I have progressed way higher into the game than i expected. So many of my "kills" were based on muscle memory.

I must have played this game to death in the day

elvis, qwertylesh and self_slaughter like this.