What Retro Console Activity did you get up to today

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Daft_Munt, Oct 19, 2014.

1. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

only briefly tried Ninja Assault, seemed cool, will have to try it when i have a player 2 around.

I want to try switch mod at least one of my gcon1/2's (i ended up with 3 of each so I could have guinea pigs)

arcade style recoil would be choice!

2. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

A little tedious, but I used to get around this issue with a Sony DVD recorder (RDR-GX700 from memory, think I gave it away on here) as it had a wide array of inputs and outputs.

So you can output component to the TV and use the S-Video and SCART RGB etc inputs on the recorder with no quality loss at least as far as I could tell. The main advantage is that they are basically give away items.

I've kept a similar Sony RDR-HDC100 for this purpose in the future, although it's just collecting dust. :lol:

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  3. bolex17

bolex17 Member

Took a gamble on a untested Sega Saturn on Gumtree for $50, didn't have any cables so couldn't test it.
    Bought a S-Video cable off eBay and a 4 in 1 AR Replay card to flash Pseudo Saturn to.

... turned it on and it works fine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

.... booted up one of my favourite games :p
    [​IMG]

FIREWIRE1394, Vanne, Camm and 2 others like this.
  4. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Nice find!! and the bug games were pretty good!

5. bolex17

bolex17 Member

Was one of those games I remember renting from Movie Land haha

A question for those of you who are hooking up your consoles via SCART.
    What switchers are you using? Have considered the GSCART and Hydra2 but they are out of my price range at the moment...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  6. Boneman

Boneman Member

Didn't see one today, will keep looking. Took a few snaps of the console wall at my local, will go to some other places soon.
    Note the 16,000 yen SNES!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

A clear 64 costing the same as a 360 and Dreamcast...

That’s civilised behaviour!

Edit: also the white Saturn at the bottom of pic 1 looks in beautiful condition.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  8. flain

flain Member

I don't know why but everything I've ever purchased from Japanese eBay sellers has been in crazy clean condition, even 30+ year old arcade boards! The boards i purchased from the US and mexico however...

WuZMoT likes this.
  9. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Now that you mention it, I’ve had similar experiences on ebay. I only got a few Dreamcast things from Japan, but they were always in better condition than the few things from the U.S. Europe stuff was usually in the middle condition wise.

So to oversimplify used game markets.
    Japan: never used.
    Europe: used but taken care of.
    America: trashed, but fuck it.
    Australia: expensive despite condition.

flain, WuZMoT and greencamel65 like this.
  10. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

only thing i ever purchased directly from Japan was a PS1 Jogcon in original box. Controller condition fantastic, box is in pretty good condition, internal cardboard + paperwork complete (to my knowledge).

I bought locally a second hand Japan (black) Gcon in box, Crazy good condition (gun and box) and again, complete included paperwork.

11. Camm

Camm Member

FIREWIRE1394 elvis - do either of you have experience with the Super Jolt Gun's? The aftermarket lightguns for PS1 & Saturn that used Gcon shells? Been thinking of picking two up.

12. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Not I. Ummed and aahed about guns with solenoids and firing actions, but never bought one mostly out of laziness.

13. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Are you referring to this gun?

20181206_225051-01.jpeg

Internally, the rail system and solenoid is very similar. The rail system is exactly the same, however, I found the solenoid not as powerful as the original Namco arcade guns.

20181205_231730-01.jpeg

Accuracy wise, I couldn't tell you as I haven't actually used it as I always go to my Namco gun for light gun games.

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  14. Camm

Camm Member

mR_CaESaR - thats the one. Interesting. I'd love a real arcade one, but $400 feels a little pricey considering I have no idea how to mate one to a console, and I have my Aimtrak for PC work anyway.

Might take the plunge for it @ 100 though.

15. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Yeah I was lucky... I got a Namco gun for 50 bux, a gcon2 for 30 and 15 bux worth of parts at jaycar .. Which essentially gave me the ability to play all the Namco library

FIREWIRE1394 and elvis like this.
  16. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Was just now playing some point blank 2 and my little CRT (the one I picked up with a ps2) started to flicker. Then it got worse to the point of unplayable.

Not too keen on dragging the big Sony from one room to another so today has been cut short.

I really should sort some more retro stuff to make more room.
    I did enjoy those 10 minutes, but can’t really complain that my essentially free cobalt POS is dead.

17. genxor

genxor Member

Wrote an angry email after month 2 of trying to buy a ps1 replacement laser. First eBay seller didn't bother sending the product and refunded me instantly when I asked why the tracking number hadn't changed in 3 weeks. I made sure to choose a different seller with different description etc but it happened again.

I'll be getting a PSIO but it'd be pretty nice to have a working laser too. Just seems like they're fucking impossible to obtain

18. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I had woes ordering one once as well.

I ordered one from the US and it wasn't compatible with my model, I checked the listing VERY carefully and it said it was. I sent them pics of mine and pics of there's showing the difference in ribbon cable. Obviously not feasible for me to return it to the US they offered to send me the correct one for the cost of postage. I thought that was... OK

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  19. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

I gave up on eBay lasers after about the 4th attempt. They either don't turnup or they don't work. I'm waiting on a psio and will just live without a working drive

20. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

Voltar just released a good mod video about the psio, shows how to install the switching mod step by step