What Retro Console Activity did you get up to today

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Daft_Munt, Oct 19, 2014.

1. power

power Member

woohoo, been waiting for this to break out of the Japanese eshop.

Vanne likes this.
  2. badmofo

badmofo Member

I got another infuriating "your unit will be sent next Monday" response (then jira ticket closed) - at least they're responding I guess.

3. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Still waiting on mine to arrive. No con note was supplied so it will be interested to see the actual postage date.

I must admit i was annoyed that they ran out of switch boards adding another delay....Pre-Order 2 ended ages ago so they would have known how many they needed vs how many they had in stock

4. Vanne

Vanne Member

Bought a few Xeno mod chips for my GameCubes.. Now BIG question.. Whats the best way to get the best video out on these? the HD component cables are 300 bucks plus WTF!!!

5. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol just cruizin eBay, picked up this puppy, only really picked it up for Rez evil zero and dead to rights, but the console looks like a bonus as is the original controller.
    [​IMG]

6. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol and just won this...

Not bad for 15 bucks Inc shipping. As has the GameCube connection on it.

[​IMG]

Atplay 5Y01053MW

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  7. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

PAL units will output RGB via the multiout. DOL-001 pal and ntsc units can use EON GCHD and the like based on open source GC Video-DVI

Vanne likes this.
  8. Vanne

Vanne Member

Yup, I know about the EON MK2, or the other opensouce units. but I am wondering if I use the Play component cables running through to the RetroTink and then HDMI out on that puppy? would that be the same?

edit://///
    Fuck it, just bought the OS GCHD video adaptor. the Carby Mk2.. lol 75 bucks, thats an easy decision.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

10. power

power Member

makes me sad this appears to be full digital

11. elvis

Kind of ironic, given what it's trying to capture.

12. bolex17

bolex17 Member

Was lucky enough to get on the waiting list for the last Phoebe order.
    Took about a month to arrive but finally got it all installed and running today!
    I can finally play Panzer Dragoon Saga without taking out a mortgage :p

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now I just need to get one of those PSIO and I can finally ditch my CD burner.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  13. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Don’t even worry about a mortgage! I got saga INSTEAD of getting a house!

I figure if I hold onto it for another 20 years I’ll be able to buy a small island somewhere. It’s practically worth Tasmania right now, so a little Patience and In 30 years I’ll be buying half of Australia with the one copy of the game!

It shot up in value when they announced that 1 and 2 were being remade but not saga.

Even in a million years when it’s turned to a pile of dust, I’ll be able to sell that dust for a lot of money... Legit Panzer dragoon saga dust... one hundred billion dollars!!!!

Vanne and bolex17 like this.
  14. badmofo

badmofo Member

I picked up an official dual shock Sony PS1 controller the other day for cheap - decent condition but needed a good clean, so I pulled it apart today and found that the cross shaped bracket that hold the D-pad in place was missing a "leg". I was convinced that I'd be able to jump online and buy a replacement but I can't find anything much in the way of replacement parts for the PS1 controller, do you guys have any thoughts? I supposed I could just go down to Cash Converters and snag another one but a) it might be busted too and b) it seems a shame to trash a whole other controller for such a minor part.

15. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I've cleaned up a bunch of PS1/2 controllers and find that's broken on maybe 50% of units, didn't matter if it was an original digital pad or dual shock.
    I don't think it effects the controller that much but I haven't played anything that requires a high amount of dpad accuracy.
    I certainly wouldn't trash it over that if 3 of the legs are there.

On the subject, PS2 controllers piss me off because they moved to a thin membrane for the buttons.
    The original PS1 had solid PCB - even for the shoulder buttons.

I've gotten PS2 controllers that look brand new, barely used and they simply are stuffed because of the membrane being so weak.

EDIT: If you use freemcboot/ulaunchelf this is good homebrew for testing pads, I always do this before I even bother disassembling them for cleaning: https://www.psx-place.com/resources/ps2-controller-tester.670/

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    Vanne likes this.
  16. elvis

Believe it or not, on PS3 controllers these only have 3 legs as standard!

17. badmofo

badmofo Member

Thanks guys I'll try it as-is. Funny story I just found a nasty looking non-dual shock controller in my shed of treasures, cracked it open to harvest that part from it - also missing a leg!

Vanne likes this.
  18. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Mine was sitting on my desk at work today. Yours can't be too far off now!

Looks like i have a project for the weekend :)

19. badmofo

badmofo Member

Excellent, let us know how you get on with it. Are you doing the switch mod yourself?

It's been a long wait and the communication has been bizarre but I'm really looking forward to this thing :cool:

20. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

sure am doing the switch mod myself. Doesn't look too complicated, If i bottle it i'll just drive around the corner to cashies and get another.