What Retro Console Activity did you get up to today

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Daft_Munt, Oct 19, 2014.

1. power

power Member

purchased a DCHDMI, it's happening!

Vanne, bolex17 and elvis like this.
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Very tempted to do the same. DC's native "VGA" out is nice quality-wise, but it's a bonkers non-standard signal frequency-wise.

DCHDMI -> any cheap VGA or YPbPr DAC (I have a box that does both quite well) would give you clinically perfect modes that have much better compatibility on even analogue displays, and with no introduced lag.

So even for VGA users, it's a bit of an upgrade. (Not to mention that many SVGA CRT monitors take 960p just fine, as 1280x960@60Hz).

I have two Dreamcasts. Dunno if I should do both, or just one for now. Decisions decisions...

3. power

power Member

you don't lose the ability to VGA, DO YOU!?

4. badmofo

badmofo Member

Yep looks easy enough - PS1's were 60 bucks at my local cashies the other idea I noticed, up from 25 a year ago. NO PRESSURE :lol:

5. elvis

It was the dollar cost holding me back. I'm a natural born tight arse.

6. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Installed the switchboard. Wan't too difficult. Worst part was cutting a couple of the traces as i don't have the steadiest hand. Didn't overshoot and cut a whole row of traces so i won that battle.

Played Siphon Filter for an hour or so. Tried to play Valkyrie Profile not realising its only NTSC so i was only getting black and white on my retrotink. Looks like i'll have to either buy a scart cable (and use with the ossc) or a DFO.

Does anyone know if i can get a DFO for the psx from an Australian supplier?

badmofo likes this.
  7. elvis

That's odd. My modded PSX still produces colour at 60Hz output with NTSC games over CVBS/S-Video to the various CRTs I've used with it in the past. Although I don't know if it's doing non-spec PAL60 or something else (never dug into it, as it always worked, which kind of surprised me at first).

Compare and contrast to my modded PAL Megadrive which doesn't do colour at 60Hz over CVBS/S-Video.

[edit] Hrm, looks like there's a PAL60 hack you can do on certain models:
    http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=444

My PS1 mod chip was installed by a third party, so I wonder if they did this for me at the time?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  8. goldpenis

goldpenis Member

Repaired a Vectrex controller! Bought in unknown condition; cried when I realised I had to remove the decal to access the screws that hold the controller together. Simple oxidation in the PCB tracks preventing contact with the Graphene button overlay.

Cleaned with a cotton bud and I applied some contact cleaner to the joystick potentiometers. Tested and works a treat. I had another console missing the controller, so with the repair, I have two compete working systems. Still love the vector graphics! I turn the lights off in my office when I turn on to play - each time it's awesome!

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  9. nimmers

nimmers Member

I played Veccy Bird and got very addicted over the weekend.

10. Camm

Camm Member

RetroAccess's new DC cable combines H+V sync into Csync, which *should* fix up some of the res issues on VGA with the Dreamcast.

11. elvis

Nah, it's more that the DC's actual analogue modeline isn't to spec. Whether H+V or C sync, it's still a wonkey signal.

You can see it on some TVs that accept VGA where it's all weird, and likewise if you have a regular PC monitor that you plug into a PC running 640x480@60Hz, and then plug it in to a Dreamcast without adjusting the screen settings. You'll see the picture is squashed, as it's actually sending a much wider signal but then cropping it with weird analogue front/back porch settings.

I'd actually consider it inaccurate to call the Dreamcast's VGA out "VGA". It's certainly analogue RGB at 480 progressive lines. But VGA is a bit more specific than that. :)

12. badmofo

badmofo Member

I finished cleaning up that PS1 controller I was asking about - it had the busted "cross" bracket on the back of the D-pad. As suggested I just slapped it back together as-is and after a cleanup it's working well, I can't feel a difference b/w this and my other controllers. Maybe they all have a busted cross bracket :)

[​IMG]

bolex17, FIREWIRE1394, Vanne and 2 others like this.
  13. badmofo

badmofo Member

Mine showed up today, a lazy 6 months after I ordered it but whatevs, this thing is going to unlock my PS1 in the same way that my 1541UII did for my C64.

Happy with yours?

Vanne likes this.
  14. Vanne

Vanne Member

Congrats Mofo :D cant wait to hear your review of that puppy mate.. pics/screen shots included pls.

15. badmofo

badmofo Member

Will do, just need to muster enough motivation to break out the soldering iron again :thumbup:

16. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Haven't really used it yet. Ended up ordering some scart ps1 cables from retro gaming cables. They should be here any day now and then i'll fire it back up.

17. elvis

Sounds like Sega heard you.

18. Boneman

Boneman Member

[​IMG]

That feeling when you finish Ultimecia with a Lion Heart is good too. I gotta stop re-playing these damn games, clocked 80 hours on this play-through just messing about. :p

19. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I got SUPER excited for a second. Then you linked a video to the Panzer Dragoon remake, and my excitement went soft.

The first 2 games are being remade, 1 and 2. And don't get me wrong, it looks stunning. But they're not remaking the only one of the games that actually NEEDS a re-release.

We're talking about SAGA. I hope the sales are good enough and they do remake SAGA.
    I guess most of the people who own SAGA on Saturn don't want it remade, because values will drop. But I would love to see it redone and modern and shiny and nice.

Fun fact: It's the only game ever made that has never been remade or put in a collection or resold 30 times on each new generation of console!:lol:

elvis likes this.
  20. elvis

Oooh right, that RPG one.

Yeah, weird that it hasn't ever gotten a re-release despite the positive reviews on release and the near cult-like following. Did Sega ever give a reason why they didn't?

Exclusive hoarding has never been a philosophy I subscribe to. We want *more* people experiencing good art, not fewer. Things don't diminish in social value because of wider consumption, and the "profit" of a few hundred dollars for a single copy is a really stupid reason want a game to not see a re-release (especially in a world with functioning emulators).

I will never, ever understand those sorts of people.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019