1. Win some Team Group goodies in OCAU's latest contest!
    Dismiss Notice

What Retro Console Activity did you get up to today

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Daft_Munt, Oct 19, 2014.

1. shredder

shredder Member

Not much point arguing with you elvis as you're quite the expert in this area. My quick thoughts though:

Supply and demand dictates though, that stuff that is no longer made literally is limited edition.

Memory may be failing me here, but weren't most consoles approx AUD100-200 at their time of release? Pretty sure my first console (the original SMS) was $89.95 sort of thing, when they were freely available in every shopping centre in Australia. Which is apparently about $160 in today's money, Google tells me. Should we expect to pay less now for the same thing, when we want it just as much now as we did then?

I dunno. Tell me if I'm being foolish.

That said, there are always unscrupulous profiteers squelching around any commercial activity.

2. power

power Member

we all get it, there's demand and cashed up buyers. it doesn't make it any more disappointing.

3. shredder

shredder Member

Ah well, show me a niche interest where the most desirable gear isn't expensive.

The retro gaming glass half full is a pretty damn big half.

But I get it, wanting things to be cheaper isn't the most uniquest concept. Rules our damn lives! :p

4. power

power Member

before eBay this shit never happened, now it's a flippers paradise. /me yells at internet.

5. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

i think mostly what makes me sad is knowing how cheap a lot of this stuff was 10 years ago, basically getting binned. Now people think its worth gold.

6. shredder

shredder Member

Will it be any different in the future, regarding the current eras of consoles?

Or did we pass a certain point of mass gaming adoption, where rarity will no longer be as pertinent in future?

7. power

power Member

units shifted is a good indicator of future value, that's why madden 08 will always be worthless.

8. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Pffft argue away! :)

My issue isn't so much the final dollar price, rather it's who gets paid.

Your points on gaming prices coming down in general (across all gaming) is one I agree with. I posted a few times my $130 copy of Starwing for SNES I bought in 1993, which equates to around $200 in today's money. So absolutely, games are cheaper now than ever. But I'm less concerned with the shelf price of the item, and the fact that developers get paid, not eBay vultures.

Say, for example, limited run produce 1000 of something. Some eBay knob buys 100, flogs them off a year later at double the price. Yes, the developer got paid for their months/years of effort. But the eBay vulture getting paid for SFA effort irritates me. And in a similar way to how we see "rare" cartridges going in stores and on eBay for hundreds (rarely thousands) of dollars that profit people just shifting artificially rare things, and not the creators.

There's no question in my mind that games are art. And I want to reward the artists responsible. A game cartridge isn't special. We talk about it like it's this holy, physical relic. It's not. It's still a digital copy of content, no different to bytes on your hard disk or holes in an optical drive. Nobody hand-crafted the ROM with hammer and chisel. The high level abstract concepts where conceived on other tools and storage, replicated and copied.

If the developer or publisher wants to invent a price for the copy of that art, more power to them. Sell it for $2, sell it for $200, I don't care. That's the creator's prerogative, not mine. All I care is that when regular folk choose pay for it, the money goes to the creator.

What shits me no end are these vapid unofficial resellers. They offer nothing to the market. They don't create, they don't invent, they don't aid, they don't enhance. They just shuffle shit from point A to point B, taking their cut, like parasites. If the art is worth double the price, those dollars should go to the creatives behind the art. With that money they could invest in the next project (or, you know, just pay their goddamn rent, see their kids, and not work 100 hours per week).

I took a swipe at Limited Run above, and to be fair it's not their fault. They created a publishing system for independent creators in good faith. What ruins it is this concept of "rarity", and the manic response that seems to elicit in certain people - not the fans, but rather the parasitic types who think making a quick buck is worth destroying a functioning ecosystem. Again, these people offer nothing - if they spontaneously combusted tomorrow, not a single person in the games industry from developer to publisher to consumer would miss them. In fact, we'd all be better off.

But the recent mania around limited and retro gaming is truly nuts. I've been doing this a long time, and I've never seen it at levels like it is today. It's bad enough that it's filled with entitlement, elitism, false dichotomies and brand worship, (some of which has existed forever), but this adds a new dimension to the negativity that erodes the games industry. I was hoping the NES Mini console debacle was a mere speed bump, and we'd recover. But of late this fervent need to gobble up pre-orders and sell them for profit by people who could probably earn more per hour in an actual real world job doing something useful for society makes me wonder what the hell we're doing wrong as a species.

All of this is why I promote alternative methods for people to get to old games so heavily - whether they're re-releases and bundles of old games via commercial emulation, or on occasion less commercially-acceptable solutions. If I've convinced a single person not to reward an eBay parasite, and instead go and buy a digital copy of something direct from a publisher, then I'm happy. In my not so humble opinion, even piracy is better than dodgy resellers. And what's fascinating to me is I'm seeing developers saying the same of late, for similar reasons in the modern gaming world:

https://www.pcgamer.com/au/developers-tell-people-to-pirate-their-games-instead-of-using-g2a/

G2A are no different to eBay parasites reselling NES Minis and Limited Run games. Buying unofficially on the cheap, reselling at profit, and with zero benefit to the creator of the art. Old or new, indie or Triple-A, it doesn't matter. These sorts of people are a blight on an industry I love, and I sincerely wish they'd just fuck right off.

shredder and genxor like this.
  9. genxor

genxor Member

Popularity ruins things like games and vinyl. I feel like one of those "I liked it before it was cooooool" guys but really it was SO different just 10 years ago.

10. cpl punish

cpl punish Member

Some of the games are pretty trash but couldn't go past this today. Sweet price of only $10 off Gumtree. Would have probably been tempted even just for the two clean genuine Dual Shock 2's.

20191020_202814-1.jpg

genxor, Vanne and elvis like this.
  11. Sir Didymus

Sir Didymus Member

For $10 that's a no brainer. Both my dual shock 2s just decided to die while sitting in a cool, dry drawer for 10 years.

12. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

definitely a no brainer, ive got spare ps2s and ps2 controllers and i'd still pick that up for $10.

don't get me started on the crappy button membrane!

Vanne likes this.
  13. Boneman

Boneman Member

$10 !!!

Best score of the year so far.

Vanne likes this.
  14. Vanne

Vanne Member

Even just for the games that's a no brainer, and I can't even see what titles they are.. awesome!! 10 bucks? fuck yeah!!

15. power

power Member

please burn all the software. :D It's like a who's who of what you'll find stocked at every pawn shop everywhere.

Vanne likes this.
  16. Vanne

Vanne Member

Not a fan of that slim PS2, but the rest is awesome :) my kids would be Into some of those trash titles. ;)

17. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Tekken 4 is OK... ish...

18. power

power Member

Should have kicked the seller in the balls for Crazy Frog Racer though. Whenever I see a "FULL SET" collector bragging about their collection, always remember - they own this trash. lol

elvis likes this.
  19. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol that just reminded me of that song... Naaanng naaang blaaaa blaaa.... Lol

Please kill me now... ;)

20. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Pass the mind bleach please...

qwertylesh and elvis like this.