What Retro Console Activity did you get up to today

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Daft_Munt, Oct 19, 2014.

1. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

worth noting:
    I had to prep the USB stick on a windows 7 install because the program to do it is outdated and appeared to work but didn't actually write the files in windows 10.

1 out of about 4 or 5 USB sticks worked, luckily I had a sandisk cruzer 2GB the exact same as the tutorials at my disposal...

2. nimmers

nimmers Member

Vanne and elvis like this.
  3. bolex17

bolex17 Member

Finally got around to RGB modding my Famicom,
    Abit scary pulling the PPU out but well worth it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

qwertylesh, Vanne, genxor and 2 others like this.
  4. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I check PSX news every other day. Noticed this and remembered...

https://www.psx-place.com/threads/4-85-1-rebug-lite-cfw-with-new-cobra-v8-2-released.26793/

Most of my units are still on 4.82. I tried retroarch 1.7.9 the other day and it was unstable so had to roll back but still on 4.82 rebug. Only updated retroarch to try out the ozone skin with boxart support since I got a taste of that on my phone.

elvis likes this.
  5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Ha, I must have checked just hours before! Decided to check back "in a few days".

Had the ol' PS3 all ready to go with HFW (Hybrid Firmware, for the folks who hate scene acronyms as much as me). Installed the above twice (as recommended) to give myself full CFW (Custom Firmware). Loaded up MultiMan, and successfully got my US BluRay movies working. Huzzah!

I can't believe the nonsense I have to go through just to legally play media I buy (even as someone who works in the goddamn industry). It's nuts.

WuZMoT likes this.
  6. Vanne

Vanne Member

did i just hear that sony put of a firmware update for Vita? anyone know what that was all about?

7. elvis

Installed Nintendont on my Wii. It's a GameCube boot system for Wii, requiring the Homebrew channel installed.

Previously I was trying to use DIOS MIOS Lite, and I think I was running at about a 25% success rate. Totally random black screens, failed boots, and other things. It was useful when it worked, but I'd spend 10 minutes or more just trying to boot a game, which ate into precious gaming time.

Nintendont failed at first on one of my FAT32 USB hard disks. I found another, formatted it exFAT, and it worked. Reading issues on their GitHub tracker, it seems others had problems with various drives too. I don't think it was a disk format problem (both FAT32 and exFAT are supported), although I do note that the FAT32 formatted drive had some logical errors (I'm backing it up as I type to reformat it).

Anyways, once past the drive issue, Nintendont is amazing. My Wii is hooked up to a 16:9 LG 32FS2ANB HD-CRT. It's rubbish at 240p (treats everything as interlaced and gives the usual errors on old 8/16 bit consoles), but is awesome at 480p/720p/1080i 16:9 modes for the games that support it on PS2/XBox, and across the Wii/PS3/Xbox360 generation. Nintendont has options to force progressive scan in all games (even PAL GameCube games, which didn't support it). On top of that, it has force widescreen mode. I was sceptical how well that would worked, expecting it to just stretch everything. The title screen and intro cut scenes were definitely stretched, but in game appeared fine.

I went back and turned the settings on and off to check, and sure enough the hack works pretty well in game! Luigi's Mansion has no native 16:9 options, so this is all done by Nintedont (notice the 2D elements are a bit off, but everything 3D works well).

Excuse the crappy shots (did these quick, didn't account for distance or ambient light off the CRT)

nintendont_4_3.jpg
    nintendont_16_9.jpg

That's just one game, and the notes say it is game dependent. But that's really cool. Couple your Wii with a WiiDual HDMI mod and Nintendont, and you've got yourself one hell of a GameCube playing setup for modern TVs and monitors.

It also offers virtual memory card options too, so you don't have to worry about filling up your original GC memory cards (although you can still use them if you want). Not sure if there's a transfer option for saves (if you use the virtual option, I think it saves on your hard disk, which is easily backed up or copied for others to use).

Also offers faster loading (i.e.: doesn't cap loading speed to the GC's real drive speed). They note that it can crash some games, but for those that work, it speeds up loading quite a bit.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    bolex17 and Vanne like this.
  8. Vanne

Vanne Member

Thanks, I'll need to look into getting my wiidual installed first.. :/

I have a Sydney trip this month, any recommendations for that guys?

9. elvis

I only know installers in Brisbane and Melbourne, I'm afraid.

Any Sydneysiders people can recommend? Maybe worth a sticky thread.

[edit] Recommended installers:
    https://shop.dansprojects.com/wiidual-kit-pre-order.html

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  10. elvis

bolex17 likes this.
  11. power

power Member

the official installer is in the area, he did mine and did a great job.

(Australia NSW) Eugene Pearson - 1UP@tpg.com.au

https://shop.dansprojects.com/wiidual-kit-pre-order.html

I still can't justify a GC as I feel that my Wii has that completely covered.

12. elvis

Yeah, I was somewhat taken aback by SmokeMonsters "zomg this is a game changer!!!" tweet. I thought to myself "Really? I've been playing GC games just fine on Wii for an eternity".

Someone mentioned the 480p image quality problems on Wii. But (a) I don't notice it on CRT (appears to affect LCD and/or OSSC users mostly), and (b) the WiiDual HDMI mod bypasses that problem.

So for "ultimate GameCube" your options now boil down to:

* GameCube with digital out native (expensive) + third party digital cables (moderate) + GC Loader (moderate)
    * GameCube with no digital out (moderate) + Digital mod (expensive) + GC Loader (moderate)
    * Wii (dirt cheap) + WiiDual (expensive) + Softmod (free)

I consider all of those pretty equal (noting that Nintendont allows real 16:9 playback, although possibly the same can happen on GC+Swiss as I haven't investigated). Again, I'm struggling to see where the "game changer" statement comes from. Nice if you already have a GC and are emotionally attached to the console. But I'm looking at my XenoGC-modded GC, and there's no huge compulsion for me to run out and put a GC Loader in it when I've got 2 Wiis that both play disc-less games just fine.

And then there's plenty of budget options too (Modded Wii, GC+XenoGC, GC+ActionReplay+AliExpress SD Memory Card, etc).

At this point, the GC is almost the most accessible generation of console, between quality real hardware hacking/modding options and quality emulation. PS2 comes a close second, I think.

13. power

power Member

the thing that sealed it for me is the ability to use real controllers on the machine. that just makes the GC a pretty little box that i have no use for - i have a wiidual and a softmod so i'm golden. all i had to do was delete all the shovelware and most of the sports games and she's a goer.

hell if the hdmi out on the wiiu was better (for wii to be clear) i'd only have a wii u not both machines.

14. elvis

Yeah, that was a bit of a wasted opportunity from Nintendo. Compare that to backwards compatibility on their handhelds of GC->Wii, and it's quite sad how bad a job they did of Wii->WiiU.

15. power

power Member

goes with the target market i guess, most wii owners used composite so hdmi out of the wii u prolly looks better to them, lol.

16. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

What makes the GC Loader such a "gamechanger" compared to something like the WASP. Only game changing thing i can think of is stock availability.

17. elvis

Yeah, I kinda get that if you're only looking at the specific console, and not the broader idea of playing the games.

Given that the Wii runs games naively without any emulation or lag, I don't see the quasi-religious need to only ever play GC games on a "real GC". I know some folks get particularly OCD about that, but I don't.

Hilariously, the most use my GameCube gets is playing GameBoy Advance games on my CRT! :lol:

18. shredder

shredder Member

I've been all PC for a long time now. Last time I had a physical console was N64.

In recent years, I put HDMI + USB cables through a wall so we can play emulators which are running on my main PC, on the living room TV. Pretty much just as a way to play Mario Kart (GC/Wii/Wii U versions) with the Mrs occasionally.

It's been a nice, budget way to try out every generation/iteration up to Wii U, but without a dedicated system it's a muck-around which ultimately prevents us playing it often.

I'm going to grab a second hand Wii sometime soon, when petty cash allows. Any particular model needed / recommended, in these most modern of times?

19. Boneman

Boneman Member

Get the Wii that has Gamecube controller/mem card ports.

shredder and elvis like this.
  20. power

power Member

most wiis are created equal however you want one that has Gamecube ports. they are the safest bet.

the console itself will be pretty much free so try and find one with included motion plus controllers.

also are you sure you don't have a wii? just look between your couch cushions or in the back of your entertainment unit you probably have one already.

WuZMoT, shredder and elvis like this.