1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

What Retro Console Activity did you get up to today

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Daft_Munt, Oct 19, 2014.

1. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

fiber glass pens are awesome, very powerful though so you need to be sparring with it since it'll strip away whatever you use it on.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

In their defense, their stuff is always quality, and they offer a warranty.

I buy a lot of crap from China. But I still had into Jaycar when I want something better than crap.

greencamel65 likes this.
  3. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Fair point, buying something I might need to claim warranty on is a different kettle of fish though.

Assuming it was in my jaycar search results "Corrosion Buster" probably threw me off.

4. elvis

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  5. nimmers

nimmers Member

I played on a Capcom home arcade surfboard thing. What a piece of crap that thing is! Heaps of input delay, no service menu - means you can't turn on button 3 full auto on Progear which makes it pretty much unplayable and the thing has octagonal gates stock!

What were they thinking? This thing is atrocious!

Vanne likes this.
  6. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

It's interesting to see what peaked and held a position the following year.

Not just individual games but platforms in general or even just the the 1999 saturation of Pokemon.

7. Vanne

Vanne Member

you mean this thing?
    [​IMG]

that's sad, was kinda hoping this was gonna be good... saw them on amazon.. thanks for the review mate, ill steer clear then. Guess the next one is PCE/TG? the more i think about it now, i pretty much (and everybody else) got husseled with that sega mega drive thing. So far really the only mini that has been worth its money has been the nintendo ones. the rest has all been pretty much shit. (from release that is, without 3rd party hacks/improvememnts)

REM Rant from Hanoi breakfast club
    It has also made me realise that was an awesome concept emulation is/ has been. Its just a bit sad that after the initial "wow" factor has worn off, that most of these mini consoles are gonna spend thier life ina cuboard, or in my case, displayed in its box on my shelf. Though the box artwork is very nice indeed.

It also shows me that for gamers that are more serious about thier games, they will hunt down original hardware to play on, including proper hdmi/crt solutions. I think the prices for original consoles are just going to keep going up and up. I think its going to be the same with the PCE-Turbo Graphics thing, which is why i am now on the hunt for an original NTSC unit.

I am excpecting more of the medioca crap from the mini TG/PCE, so wont be holiding my breath for that either. I do however like the fact that nintendo hasnt gottten on the shovelware band wagon and already released a N64 mini..

/Rant from Hanoi

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  8. nimmers

nimmers Member

Yeah that thing... Total garbage and I'm a huge Capcom fanboi.

9. elvis

My opinions on making old games accessible to new generations are neither new nor unknown. But I also firmly believe that effort needs to be put in to that accessibility, and the responsibility of keeping old games alive shouldn't be treated flippantly.

That Capcom stick thing failed from the get go on the pricing. Old games IP should not reach the expense of modern title licensing, especially when there's a simple relationship (i.e.: the IP wasn't transferred/sold like it is in some complex cases). The ludicrously overpriced offering there was more of a nerd's "ridiculous conclusion" effort than sensible planning. The creators also need to drop the "premium arcade experience" expectation when they're selling their stuff to a generation who never set foot in arcades (because, face it, middle aged dudes don't spend money like that).

Frank Cifaldi's GDC talk is one I copy/paste in here often because his words are just so damned true. The biggest competition to commercial retro gaming is piracy. You're going up against RetroPie and emulators and curated ROM sets if you want to try and sell this old stuff. So to do so, you need to focus on three things: ease of use, accuracy, and price.

Thus far, IMHO, the "ease of use" king of these retro collections has been Nintendo. They're the Apple of console gaming, and make idiot-proof experiences. And while making things idiot proof has pros and cons (the easier a thing is to use, the more inflexible it is), the fact is it sold in part because it was so simple to load up, play, use save states, and the rest.

The price kings have also been Nintendo and more recently Sega/M2. That $99-$120 range for a good slog of games in a simple package are bang on the money.

But of course, without accuracy, it's all for nought. Again, Nintendo and the recent Sega/M2 collab have proven that. Neither platform was powerful nor perfect. Both have slight inaccuracies and lag. But, that's OK for the price and presentation. But it's a fine line. Fall down to PlayStation mini levels (shocking quality emulation, poor offering of titles), and even at low prices you can't sell a turd.

I didn't have high hopes for the Capcom stick because of the people behind it. Their whole presence smacked of AtGames/Hyperkin level bullshit - all talk and no action. And it's very clear to me when people who aren't intimately connected to the games (i.e.: not first parties who own the IP, or second parties like M2 who are passionate about older games) attempt to do these things, they focus entirely on the wrong part of the process.

This Capcom stick doubled down on "the arcade experience at home", with all the effort in the hardware. Again, a missed mark. Like it or not nobody cares about the "arcade experience at home" (and if they do, they'll buy an Arcade1Up cabinet instead). Either you make the whole cabinet, or you make a cheap, easy to play, accurate home console. What this Capcom stick went for was some terrible half breed with shitty emulation, and it demonstrated that the people behind it didn't understand their target audience, nor why their competitors had succeeded where they were guaranteed to fail.

I still believe commercial emulation is worth the effort, commercially speaking. But that doesn't mean it's something anyone can half-arse for easy profit.

nimmers likes this.
  10. Vanne

Vanne Member

I agree Elvis, but I am sticking the Sega mini in the same box as the psx mini turd box. Even though the game selection was good and the presentation was well thought out, I can't get past that the thing plays like a turd..

Maybe it just goes to show that these things are not for me, and I need to move away from the mini's. I am sure that most people ARE happy with them, and they get to relive those games for 5 minutes at a time.. (5 mins is about what I spend on a game on these things, as they don't look/nor play as I remember them too)

And that's ok too, I think I am not the market for these mini"s anyways, and I'd recon it's more aimed at a general scope of people, people who remember the games, but we're not gamers back then. But hey, everyone is a gamer now, because it's cool now to be a gamer. That's getting away from the technical issues I have with these things..

At any rate, game on, mini on, I'll probably sit on the sideline from now with these things and unless the reviews are unanimous, am am happy to just sit and "smile and wave boys".
    [​IMG]

11. elvis

I don't like statements like these. We have enough empirical data and technical language to not describe things like this.

The Sega/M2 MegaDrive/Genesis mini has around 3-4 frames of lag (with some variability in that on occasion). The NES and SNES mini sit at 2-3 (again, with some variability). In terms of input delay, they're very similar.

Outside of grossly more powerful hardware (either insane clock speeds to do many emulated cycles within the 1/60th of a second real time cycle, or runahead emulation which also requires faster compute), there's no way to minimise input delay beyond around 2 frames currently (certainly not on 1-2GHz low power ARM architecture).

Even then, legally emulated SNES and MegaDrive games (SNES via Nintendo Switch, MegaDrive via the various legal options including Steam individual titles, PC and console collections) all exhibit similar lag. Ditto for even good quality open source emulators, again, all inherent to emulation.

So if your complaint is *any* lag at all, then your issue is emulation, not this specific implementation (which is fine if it's the case - you are allowed to subjectively dislike input lag). If your complaint isn't the lag, you're going to need to clarify what makes the Sega product "a turd" and the Nintendo product not.

The Sony PlayStation Mini console was different again in that it didn't meet the requisite power to emulate titles correctly, dropping frames as a result, and also included PAL 50Hz titles in the library when there was no justification or requirement to do so (those versions offered nothing different content or gameplay wise to their NTSC counterparts other than slower framerates). Coupled with the lack of quality titles, it was unforgivable compared to the Nintendo and Sega/M2 (not AtGames) offerings.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    greencamel65 likes this.
  12. nimmers

nimmers Member

I agree too, This guy basically sums up how I feel about it:

Emulation is a thing so what's the point of releasing anything that is just the same experience you can get on an emulator? Doubly so when the experience is strictly *worse* than current emulation options.

At the price point of this pos I expect minimum:
    -Access to DIP switches
    -Heaps of display options
    -Effort put into reducing input lag
    -Online leaderboards
    -Arrange modes
    -A better selection of games!

elvis likes this.
  13. nimmers

nimmers Member

I am pretty intimately familiar with playing things like SF2, Final Fight and Strider on real hardware and also practicing with save states on MAME. This Capcom thing is very obviously (to me) more laggy than playing on vanilla MAME on your PC with a fightstick.

elvis likes this.
  14. dexster

dexster Member

today i tried the super nt and packed it up again....
    but yesterday the whole afternoon was spent with my cps2 multi :D

so many classics on cps2... and in readiness for the cps1 multi we finished off the afternoon with some final fight :leet:

elvis likes this.
  15. nimmers

nimmers Member

That CPS2 multi is my favorite bit of kit! I bit the bullet and bought the M72 multi today too.

16. dexster

dexster Member

That Is Awesome !!

I am looking for a m72 board but unable to find anything.... but whilst looking i found mt2 (m92) in anticipation of the multi

Let us know your thoughts on the m72 multi :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    nimmers likes this.
  17. bester

bester Member

Ordered a Mnemo (3DO) USB Mod for FZ-10 today, figured I might as well get that and have it installed at the same time as the citrus3000psi 3DORGB.

Keen to grab a GC Loader PNP for my main Japanese GameCube, but it seems they are in high demand. Hopefully I will be able to catch another round of pre-orders.

Vanne and elvis like this.
  18. bolex17

bolex17 Member

Pimped out my Gamecube with a GCLoader and some LED in the controller ports.

[​IMG]

baronbaldric, Vanne, WuZMoT and 3 others like this.
  19. mobius.ro

mobius.ro Member

I'd take the Super NT off your hands, bloody thing is ALWAYS out of stock in the SFC colour! :lol::lol:

Got my RAD2x's today (2x SNES/N64 and 1x PS1)

1.jpg

bester, Vanne, elvis and 2 others like this.
  20. bester

bester Member

Looks like I am setting a very early alarm for Friday morning. GCLoader Pre-Order RND 2 will happen this Thursday at 10AM EST (US Time).

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Vanne likes this.