What Retro Console Activity did you get up to today

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Daft_Munt, Oct 19, 2014.

1. flain

flain Member

Vanne likes this.
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I know the history of the console. But I also wouldn't put it past Limited Run to actually make and sell a limited volume of useless things for a tonne of profit.

flain likes this.
  3. bolex17

bolex17 Member

Installed my 3DORGB kit from citrus3000psi the 240p native switch makes it worth it for that alone!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Vanne, nimmers, bester and 2 others like this.
  4. bester

bester Member

Very nice, I have been too busy to organise getting my 3DORGB and USB Mod installed.

Anyway, a brief update from my Coronavirus exclusion zone. I have hooked the SEGA consoles up via Packapunch RGB SCART cables into a Framemeister XRGB-Mini today and all is good (the Dreamcast is running in 31KHz/480p). I am having a lot of fun with these consoles and hopefully people are happy that I have finally "balanced" my retro console cabinet (instead of having over 9000 Nintendo GameCubes).

Of note I have ordered a Dreamcast Noctua Fan Mod because as known the default fan is quite noisy.

Assuming I survive the Corona Apocalypse (financially and/or physically) and the Aussie Dollar increases again, my Top 5 next major items I am looking to get (some of these I have mentioned previously) are:
    • USB-GDROM Controller for the SEGA Dreamcast
    • Satiator for the SEGA Saturn (when released?) or maybe just a Pseudo Saturn "all in one" cart
    • Analogue Pocket + Dock (when released?)
    • Analogue Mega Sg
    • 8 more controllers for the SEGA Saturn lol (Saturn Bomberman)
    Crappy photos of the SEGA consoles are below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  5. deevus

deevus Member

The satiator is pretty good. I have a beta cart, as I was helping with some of the development. The delays are mostly manufacturing at this point.

Vanne, bester and elvis like this.
  6. elvis

I'm super pumped for it. It'll be a year of Saturn for me once that drops.

bester and deevus like this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

How did I not know about this???

8. elvis

There's been a fair bit of chatter in here about it. A video about a year back interviewing the dev did the rounds.

It's taken a while, but I sympathise with the developer. He's a working dad, and I know what that does to your free time.

9. OP
    OP
    Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Yeah, I probably saw it on here and forgot about. Work is turning my mind to jelly this past fortnight.

elvis likes this.
  10. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Very happy, there is balance in the force.

The only problem you have now, is that by adding a Dreamcast, you have made ALL of the other consoles irrelevant. (You can always spot those fucking Dreamcast fanbois!)

But seriously, Looking AMAZING with some Segas in there!

Vanne likes this.
  11. Vanne

Vanne Member

yeah lovely setup there Bester, amazing really. and so nice and tidy. top notch work man! :thumbup:

No way ill have room for that. id have to choose 3 of those and stach the rest. but freakingly awesome what youve done there. how are you swapping between consoles?

12. bester

bester Member

Eight (8) of the consoles are going into a gscartsw. Another three (3) of the consoles are going into a gcompsw. Both the gscartsw and gcompsw are plugged into the XRGB-mini Framemeister.

The majority of scart cables are all from Retro Access in the USA (i.e. the upgraded Pro shielded ones). However the ones I got for the 3DO and SEGA consoles are all PACKAPUNCH! from Retro Gaming Cables in the UK. All are great no issues.

With the component cables, I have the genuine Monster (lol) Xbox Component Cable and the GameCube + Wii are both using the official Nintendo cables, although the GameCube additionally uses the Hori (sourced from Japan) ones for Audio.

For the four (4) HDMI based consoles (including the UltraHDMI N64) I just have a cheap/recommended five (5) port HDMI switch from Amazon.

So basically there is no messing around at all with swapping between the consoles and the switches are all "auto sensing" based on what's powered on. I decided early on if I was gonna setup something like this all of the consoles had to be connected/useable without any effort.

All of my new consoles (Microsoft Xbox One X, Nintendo Switch, Sony PS4 Pro) are connected to my main TV which is an LG OLED C8 via a Denon AVR-X3500H amp.

I also have a Benq W1120 projector with low input lag and a 100" Elite Screen that currently doesn't have any "fixed" consoles attached to it, but when I had (damn coronavirus) gaming nights with sixteen (16) people and four (4) screens all in the same area/floor, my friends would attach their consoles to that as well. Multiplayer Halo MCC with that many people is unbelievable fun.

Anyway it's a pretty cool setup and it all gets used when I'm not working and there isn't a damn pandemic on.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    Vanne likes this.
  13. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

My Saturn Svideo cable arrived yesterday.
    So I cleaned and setup a desk and dug my Saturn out to test it!
    IMG_0648.JPG

Doesn't look much better than composite (looks a little better, but not the OMG SVIDEO IS THE BEST JUMP IN ALL OF VIDEOGAMES you will EVAH HAVE, YOU NEED ITTT!!!!! BULLSHIT youtubers claim :lol:)

Setup is not complete, I still have to run some cables to my PC for capture (PC is behind Cherry Coke in bottom left) , and since I was digging stuff out, I got my PS1 stuff AND all my old VHS tapes, and will be setting up a VCR with the TV.
    Having a VCR also has the second benefit that it's a Sony VCR and the remote will work the TV as well!

GOOD TIMES!

WuZMoT likes this.
  14. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

15. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

DONE!

WuZMoT likes this.
  16. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

make me look bad

FIREWIRE1394 likes this.
  17. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

You were playing with a wheel right? Older racing games benefited from digital input.

Using an analog controller on Daytona/Sega rally/Wipeout/Mario kart/F-Zero/Gran Turismo 1 etc etc really had no benefit. they were made for a D-pad and then most had analog support put in later.
    SURE, it was nice to play with an analog controller, but it REALLY doesn't improve the situation/your times back when all those games came out.

I think you'd be competitive if you scrapped your whole PS2 setup in favour of a Saturn!

I can loan you a Saturn (you pay for post) but it won't reach you before the challenge is over.
    My advice is to emulate the game and play from a 360 control! :lol:

EDIT:

The main reason I set up the CRT is for light gun games... They're one thing that can't, and never can be be emulated properly, and I have a huge backlog to play, plus I want revisit the house of the deads, virtua cops, point blanks and time crisis's... And confidential mission eventually.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    WuZMoT and shredder like this.
  18. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

was going to retry with pad i just been playing other things

19. Scootre

Scootre Member

Lemmings. The original c1991 game.

Running an Amiga emulator within a Retropie environment on a Raspberry Pi 3B+ with an XBox 360 controller and Xbox wireless USB dongle, old Mac bluetooth keyboard and MS Intellimouse. All works like a charm.

Love that game.

WuZMoT likes this.
  20. deevus

deevus Member

upload_2020-3-29_15-2-26.png
    Installed from floppy. I never played this one as a kid but loved other Lucasarts adventure games.

Attached Files:

WuZMoT likes this.