1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

What Retro Console Activity did you get up to today

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Daft_Munt, Oct 19, 2014.

1. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Hmmm, I think ‘rubbish’ is too strong a word. Perhaps ’overrated’ would be more adequate. As power notes they still had a few good ones.

power and MUTMAN like this.
  2. Vanne

Vanne Member

yeah, but if you remove Lemmings from the list *which was awesome! but by DMA, its pretty much a screen candy list with little or no play ability. def Overrated, BUT in those early days , while CBM was trying to market the AMIGA as a business machine, I guess Psygnosis did also have a hand in bringing the gaming scene to the Amiga. That's probably more credit deserved right there than any of there lack luster games.

3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

4. Boneman

Boneman Member

Ecco The Dolphin: Defender of the Future on Dreamcast.

One of the greatest games on the system. Incredibly frustrating at times, but also rewarding. You will get lost, and then suddenly found wondering how you got there. Environment details give you hints but you have to pay attention. Graphics hold up very well due to the style and setting too. Oh and the music. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

5. elvis

Last edited: May 27, 2020
    bester and MUTMAN like this.
  6. nimmers

nimmers Member

Hope they can rip the ROM and bring it to real hardware via a Darksoft cart.

elvis likes this.
  7. elvis

I absolutely reckon they will. Took about a week for the "Collection of Mana" people to do the same.

I'll buy the collection (like I did Mana) in good faith, and play the ROM on MiSTer. As always, I want my purchase to count, even if I don't use their delivery mechanism.

Vanne, MUTMAN and nimmers like this.
  8. nimmers

nimmers Member

I love when stuff like that happens. I am looking forward to playing M2's Fantasy Zone on the Sega 16b multi.

elvis likes this.
  9. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Xbox system link with power

I still can't believe we played for so many hours before delving into the service menu of the left screen to fix its colours.

IMG_20200530_161851.jpg
    IMG_20200530_161911.jpg

elvis, Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  10. Vanne

Vanne Member

Awesome!!! Me and a mate here did the same with oddworld on the PS mini, thought the game was just really dark, turns out on of the kids had turned down the brightness to zero. 4 hours In to it.. "shit that's dark... Not sure I remember Abe that dark...??" Lol

11. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Doom 3 Co-op was when we finally lost our minds but I just assumed it was supposed to be that dark (from memory)
    The green level in the service menu was at 460, for comparison the red/blue were at ~280/240!

I hadn't been 100% happy with the 16:9 since I got it and had fiddled with the standard menu settings to get the gradients/black level somewhat right but overall it just remained dark and off.

Fortunately the fresh set of eyes figuratively and literally helped to assess that the green was the culprit.

Vanne likes this.
  12. elvis

I'm looking for a wider range of tellies to flesh out my colour calibration videos. Wanna organise a session?

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  13. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

If it means better picture for me how can i say no?

What variables are you looking for? I presume the 16:9/480p (Panasonic) screen is a bit more obscure than the run of the mill 4:3/480i (Samsung)

I can get into the service menu of both but the Samsung defaults to TV when you fire it up in service mode and can't be changed to AV so while you can change settings all you can see is static. I imagine this would make colour calibration a nightmare - adjusting geometry is and I've mostly given up short of H/V size/position.

14. elvis

Brilliant. :)

Everything and anything. The point of the series is to look at as wide a variety of CRTs as possible.

Lots of feedback on the Tweeties is that plenty of people are not running PVMs, and want to see what's the best they can do on their domestic TVs. Sometimes there'll be loads of options, sometimes not a lot.

So I'd love to come visit all the OCAU retro crew, and have a go at calibrating their displays and capturing it on video as I go. Each one goes up on YouTube as an example.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    MUTMAN likes this.
  15. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

send me a PM and we can discuss (let me know if you can't and I'll send you one to start the conversation as that has happened a few times with some members)

elvis likes this.
  16. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

17. power

power Member

it was doing my head in, in most things the levels were pretty acceptable but Doom was just really off. The biggest telltale was that the blacks were greenish (occasionally to be clear). The biggest issue was that skin tones were very bad (in Doom 3). I wouldn't shutup about it and the results from a quick dive into the service menu were well worth it. I actually moved on from CRT before most of them had easy to access service menu's and RGB calibration options so that was also really nice too. TBH fucking with the settings is almost as satisfying as having a good play session. Having the two sets side by side is also a little distracting in that you look at one then the other and neither one is going to be perfect doing things the way we did.

X-Box system link is also damn good, having both machines side by side is actually pretty close to doing a 2 player arcade cabinet like Daytona. If only the original x-box had Daytona! Outrun 2 is REALLY good for this setup for anyone considering it, and it's also honestly a pretty cheap thing to get going OG XB is cheap, softmodding is quick and easy and setup of the system link is painless. If you are looking for an arcade like setup I can recommend this to anyone. It's just a shame that more games weren't system link capable.

PlayStation Classic adventures.

So. I've been playing FFVII with original discs on a PS3, this is the first time I've played beyond Reactor 5 and look I didn't know what the game was "supposed" to be like. (I also have a like/dislike ratio of this game - that's a rant for another time). But i got to thinking that hey that's right the PSC can be modded to run stuff pretty close to how it would on an NTSC PS1.

Now my issue was I tried BleemSync back when it hit 1.0 and it was on my system at least pretty terrible and unreliable so i backburnered that bitch. I also pay attention sort of in a basic way to what modders are doing with the system and where it is at.

Fast forward to a couple weeks ago, i'm playing FFVII and thinking - surely this could be better - spoiler alert it can be.

So i hit WuZMoT up because he fucked around with his PSC a fair bit (as evidenced by his earlier escapades in the PSC thread) so i asked him if his was stable even though the port was trashed and he assured me that functionally the thing boots and loads games. So I thought this must just be my setup so I bought a new USB drive (bigger this time) and transferred everything to it - IT WORKS FINE, FUCK YOU OLD USB DRIVE! After this I also ordered the 8bitdo dongle for DS3 because I was pretty keen to continue using a DS3 like I had been on the PS3 and an OTG adapter all off Amazon to made things tidier.

Co-incidentally at this time bleemsync has rebranded again to "Project Eris". My musing and messing about inspired WuZMoT to update his PSC to Project Eris he gave me the all clear and that was it it was on. So Saturday before the xbox shenanigans we updated my PSC to Eris, fiddled with the 8bitdo dongle - which sidebar works WAY better than we thought, you get rumble and analogue sticks on games that support it, they just need to be configured. The gotcha is that when you pair the dongle and the DS3 (or sixaxis it turns out can also be used) you need to go to "PS mode". It's not super user friendly to setup but once you have it paired it's perfect.

Lastly was FFVII, now obviously my saves were on the PS3, so i exported them to a USB drive then using black chocobo WuZMoT exported it straight over to my USB and bam - i'm back - FFVII on here with retroarch is much much better, probably not as good as some other solutions but really good all the same. Let's put it this way my point of reference is an original disc copy of FFVII on a PAL PSOne/PS2 and PS3. This solution beats them all.

TLDR - PSC modded and an 8bitdo dongle is REALLY good, as an aside they have bundled emulation station which was pretty easy to get up and running. The folder structure means drop in ROM's and BIOS for systems that require it, cores if needed (mine already had them) and I used "skraper" for metadata OR you can use a supported wifi dongle and scrape on the device. You can also drop in new ISO's and it will just pick them up too. PE feels like it's where it needs to be on the PSC.

It's gone from zero to hero IMO.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Vanne, greencamel65 and WuZMoT like this.
  18. elvis

GumbyNoTalent, Vanne and MUTMAN like this.
  19. Vanne

Vanne Member

Thats awesome! ive had the 8bitdo dongle running analog sticks from my ps3 controller for a little while now, and only because "Driver 2" .
    ill need to update one of the PSC, how much has the stuff improved since the initial hacks?

cheers for the update :)
    (PSC has replaced my Wii in my overnight case at least 6 months now)

20. bester

bester Member

Nothing too exciting, but I installed the Noctua Fan mod in my Sega Dreamcast today. It's now gone from a jet engine to silence, so well worth doing:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bolex17, power, FIREWIRE1394 and 3 others like this.