What Retro Console Activity did you get up to today

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Daft_Munt, Oct 19, 2014.

1. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

looks shit house mate
    hang in there

:lol:

2. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

This is all you should be allowed to play, living in such hardship. :rolleyes:
    et.jpeg

okclock123, WuZMoT, MUTMAN and 2 others like this.
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Solving my Seasonal Affective Disorder with retail therapy.

NEW STUFF GET!

* Raspberry Pi 4 8GB for ScummVM and box86+WINE Win9X gaming (have a few SVGA CRTs set aside to test with this, will pick the nicest one)
    * AliExpress Mechanical keyboard for Amiga, Atari ST, DOS, Win9X gaming via MiSTer on the same screen as above
    * AliExpress GDEMU clone
    * AliExpress Dreamcast Pico PSU
    * AliExpress Sega Saturn controller (I have a weird looking one and the trigger buttons suck)

Hrm... did I mention AliExpress are having their 11.11 sale? :lol:

4. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol I have this cart!!! Hahahaha

MUTMAN likes this.
  5. Vanne

Vanne Member

Elvis, which gdemu did you get? Link please. I still don't have a working one after the last fiasco.

6. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

7. elvis

I bought this one:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001340159079.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.296b4c4dIBWO1E

And selected "Australia" as the "ships from" address. Will let you know how I go if/when it rocks up.

Hrm I looked at that one the other day, then lost it in the noise. Ended up with a 104 model after umming and ahhing and deciding I wanted something closer to Amiga/AtariST keyboard, as well as vaguely remembering a bunch of shitty old DOS games that exclusively used the numeric keypad for directions instead of the arrow keys.

I actually paid a little more to *avoid* RGB. Kinda weird.

I much prefer the look of the smaller keyboard without numeric keypad though. Hrm, maybe I just buy both and have a spare? Ah, I've already spent enough today. :lol:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    Vanne and okclock123 like this.
  8. okclock123

okclock123 Member

How are you going about the launchers for scummvm and box86+wine? A menu of some sort on boot? Or you'll just setup a desktop environment and launch with mouse from the desktop?

I aquired a 7" Asus Eee PC laptop, set up Arch on it (no desktop environment installed, it only has 4gb of internal storage and I decided to challenge myself to use just that for my OS and games). Then I put dosbox in autoload.

This setup is great for 640x480 games like Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and Theme Hospital, the screen is small and the grain is just good enough for super crisp 1:1 pixel image with subtle gourgeous pixel separation.

Untitled-1.jpg Untitled-2.jpg

Considering to also add ScummVM to the mix and make some sort of launch menu selector to choose between dosbox and scummvm. Not sure if scummvm will work without a DE though and have even bigger doubts about wine.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    Vanne and elvis like this.
  9. elvis

I'm kind of a bit odd in that I still to this day use the CLI to launch almost everything. It's my whole job (about 25% of my largest contract is teaching Linux/CLI tools to scientists on super computers), so it doesn't bother me to launch stuff that way. So to answer your question - DE + Terminal will do me. This will also double as my daily driver desktop too (not even joking), so I'll want a browser and whatnot on there.

With that said, ScummVM comes with, what I consider at least, to be a pretty good GUI launcher, complete with ability to store per-game profiles and settings. So I think I'll use that.

For WINE, I dunno. I might use different WINE prefixes (i.e.: where the install base is) if needed. Maybe have one for Win95/98 profiles and one for Win2K/XP profiles I think. But again, I'm happy enough to alias that via a small command or script.

The TwisterOS/box86 guys tend to use WINE's own explorer replacement as a GUI file browser, and just double-click .exe files that way.

I've had people recommend Lutris to me:
    https://lutris.net/

And honestly, that looks amazing. I just don't know if I can be bothered with it. Maybe I'll put the time in over Christmas, as I have a feeling my son at least might want to play some games on this thing.

Yeah you can run anything without a DE, fullscreen in X. Mouse works if you need it, but ScummVM is 100% launcher compatible. Again, maybe check out Lutris running in its equivalent of "big picture mode" and see how you go.

Oh man that looks really sweet.

My original plan was to use an iMac G3 CRT screen:
    https://forums.overclockers.com.au/threads/applepi-imac-g3-mod.1288010/

But I hit a total brick wall in that I can't control the screen's geometry/brightness/contrast/colour. Newer models have documented I2C commands which I can control from a Pi, but my CRT model doesn't do I2C. Someone suggested maybe other serial/TTL/RS232 protocols, but I haven't had the time to try any of it. So that's for another day.

I'll likely be plugging 2x monitors into the Pi - one small LCD for general web-browsing when I'm working, and one CRT for gaming. The iMac was hard-locked at three specific reoslution/refresh combos, with 1024x768@75Hz being the one I was going for. But if I'm using a generic PC SVGA CRT, I've got a few more options for different games, so I'll see how that goes for matching line counts better.

Pretty excited about this. I've been put off by the idea of a retro DOS PC setup for ages, as I've just had a gutful of old hardware failures. But a bunch of MiSTer users have come up with a solution I'm totally in love with:

It uses eXoDOS as the base, and then tweaks some existing DOS launchers to be MiSTer compatible. What this does is the following:

* Stores a profile per game
    * When the game is selected, auto-mounts the virtual floppy or CD-ROM media
    * Sets the FPGA CPU profile to match the game - enables/disables cache, changes clock speeds, simulates approximate 286/386/486 speeds to be best compatible with the game
    * Optionally allows connection to real MIDI hardware, MT32-Pi, MUNT, FluidSynth, or numerous other real, hardware, software or emulated MIDI gear
    * Launches the game

And it supports virtual paths as well as virtual disks mounted over network storage, so all of that can live on my big fat multi-TB NAS while my MiSTer has nothing but a tiny 8GB MicroSD in it.

That's exactly what this busy working dad needs, and as much as I love the idea of a "computer museum" full of real hardware modified with Gotek/Flashfloppy devices and whatnot, this is going to be my DOS/Amiga/AtariST/C64 gaming setup for the next few years at least, while my real hardware sits in storage. (Much like quite a number of my real consoles are now permanently powered off due to MiSTer).

So yeah, that's RPi+MiSTer covering me across most of the microcomputers and DOS/Win9X era gaming I want. A few things they can't handle yet, but that's OK. There's already too many games in the world for me to play, so I won't cry over the handful I can't. :)

Vanne, MUTMAN and okclock123 like this.
  10. elvis

Ordered this about a month back. AliExpress shipping is back to reasonable speed again.

I picked up a NTSC-J Nintendo 64 from a trip to Thailand pre-rona. Got an RGB amp kit headed over from Console5 for it. A decent N64 setup is one of the few things I'm missing (PAL consoles via s-video do not excite me).

PXL_20201112_120801774.jpg PXL_20201112_120809588.jpg

bester, MUTMAN, qwertylesh and 2 others like this.
  11. elvis

Pretty impressed at how far and wide the Mario 64 ports have made it. This one for PS3 appears to be running at 60FPS (maybe... maybe it's just the capture).

I'll test this one for myself out on the weekend.

okclock123, Vanne and qwertylesh like this.
  12. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

I been playing my ed64plus, and my Sd2snes and mega everdrive much more lately . :D

okclock123, elvis and MUTMAN like this.
  13. elvis

Have you gotten the "Alt64" OS/software running? I have a rumble pack save I want to back up, but can't get it working.

14. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

I'm not sure, I have an SD card in it that only boots on JP consoles, I figure it's the stock software for the multicart

elvis likes this.
  15. Vanne

Vanne Member

IMG_20201209_091905.jpg
    Picked up these, along with one of these ps3's. I don't really esthetically like this model , but it came with 2 spanking new sony branded controllers. All up for the price of the cost of 2 new controllers in the shop.

IMG_20201209_091845.jpg
    Nfi what firmware it's on.

qwertylesh and power like this.
  16. power

power Member

I have the super slim, I like it. It's compact, quiet and you don't have to worry about the slot load drive failing. Only downside i don't believe it's been hacked, but i am pretty sure i own every PS3 game I'll ever want.

17. elvis

I have the PS3 Slim (not super slim). Hacked it myself with CFW (far easier than the 360) about a year back.

My favourite feature is that I can bring up a web interface on my phone, and control game loading from that. All the games are shown on my phone with their title screen. I press the one I want, the PS3 announces it's loaded an ISO and boots the game. Ditto for media (including BluRay images). Pretty bloody neat.

What it can't do is load games over SMB, which annoys me a little. Even my modded PS2 can do that, and it's a brilliant feature (beats the hell out of needing yet another hard disk in these things). I've got a 1TB spindle disk in the PS3 currently, and I'm considering an SSD to try and get the load times down a little. The speedups to SSD aren't enormous due to the combination of poor file system choice (FAT32, ancient history!) and the SATA 3gbit/s bus. But all the same, it still shaves a few second off game loading time, which I can appreciate. Perhaps once SSD hits price parity with spindle I'll make the jump.

So for now copying games back and forth requires FTP, which positively sucks in 2020. At least I've set up automated rclone jobs on my Linux NAS to do that, so I don't have to use some stupid fat client like a 1980s office worker.

okclock123 and Vanne like this.
  18. Vanne

Vanne Member

You mean like WSftp? Hahahayeah I like the slim too, it's my fave PS3.. the original is too bulky.

Lol yeah hahaha me too, I really only bought it for the God of war dubble in there. I have that on the PS2, and i liked that,

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  19. elvis

The fat PS3 also had similar issues to the 360's RROD in the form of a YLOD (yellow light of death).

These happened far less frequently than the RROD, but the cause was similar - overheating problems resulting in solder cracking, often on the BGA attached CPU or RAM. Often a solder reflow (done in the oven or via a heat gun) could fix the issue, but not always.

The bummer of course is that certain fat models were the only ones with full hardware backwards compatibility of the PS2. But perhaps in an era of excellent quality PS2 emulators, that's far less of an issue now.

qwertylesh likes this.
  20. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol not only that , but I guess people who wanna play PS2 on real hardware have probably aqruewed a few of those units by now, it's not like they didn't sell a gazillion of them. Pretty neat lil units actually..

I had a original PS3 fat boy that had the ylod.. pulled it out of its case and removed said cat hair and off she went like a champ. I gave those Internals to a mate, as I bought the unit for being white. Swapped in a USA PS3 into that case and I still have that one now, though it's been in its box for the last 12 years...

Do these things have batts that leak? How about the controllers??