what software are you using to control your cnc

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by roamin, Aug 13, 2015.

1. roamin

roamin Member

hey there everyone, im currently upgrading my x carve to run a geny32 controller for my cnc machine, it runs on a tb6560 chip, has built in usb and parallel port, 4 axis control and all the usual crap. the unit i have is here

it can run tinyg firmware, grbl firmware or be controlled by mach3 and linuxcnc

basically with so many options available, what are people using to control there machine.

i work with real cnc machines at work, 5 axis with a 7.5kw spindle and tool changer and so on. so im after something better software wise then chilipeppr as that is so slow it actually shits me and i dont want to use my machine as i get sick of my browsers crashing when i upload large files to it. so im after a standalone software to control the cnc machine. doesnt need to be fancy but i would like a toolpath projection screen to show what the cut looks like and where its at, basically the same as chilipeppr.

anyone had experience with linuxcnc? if so how do you go about using the usb port on the controller with linuxcnc? do you need a driver?

also going to buy a pc for the cnc this weekend. just a second hand one with a parallel port on it so i have all connection options. i know mach3 needs a usb plugin but i have one already for this controller.

so after that rant, what software do you use and what do you think of it.

2. pippin88

pippin88 Member

I use LinuxCNC. It is fully featured and very reliable. Does not support USB.

3. OP
    OP
    roamin

roamin Member

im in the process og getting linuxcnc working on my pc. i like the look of it

4. OP
    OP
    roamin

roamin Member

i just finished converting my machine over to mach3 and a geny32 controller. what an amazing difference from the shitty controller supplied with the xcarve. motors even sound different. love the control you have in mach3 compared to chilippepr. feels good to have a decent control over the system. will be much more reliable.

5. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

6. oRiCLe

oRiCLe Member

fusion 360 is great for CAM-ing projects, but you would still need Mach3/LinuxCNC/PathPilot/etc to run the toolpaths on the respective CNC machine...

7. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

yeah, just need something for CAM

currently i use (sketchup / illustrator) -> cambam -> mach3

8. cvidler

cvidler Member

I use grblweb - a raspberri pi distro - to run my CNC laser (USB connection).
    (also has a 3d print module for those who print stuff).

never have had a problem with large jobs, some etching jobs with lots of infill/cross hatching are massive.

9. aXis

aXis Member

Just building a CNC PCB Router (Cyclone PCB Factory) and will be using bCNC.

10. MoonShadow

MoonShadow Member

I've just started using Fusion 360. Don't use my router much, and was previously using VCarve since it was already loaded on the PC and I hadn't tried to make anything overly difficult.

Software is pretty good. I made up a little drink coaster without having to read any help files.

I learnt to use Solid Edge and Unigraphics NX at TAFE, and now use Solidworks and IntelliCAD for work.

https://goo.gl/photos/peMYYzVxqmdMgpGcA

edit- Sorry, didn't answer the question. Using Mach3 on the PC controlling the router. Came with the machine and I've never looked in to anything else.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017