What streaming software do you use (if any)?

Discussion in 'Live Streaming & Content Creation' started by CAPT-Irrelevant, Mar 6, 2019.

?

What do you use?

1. None (only use the platform's dashboard)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Streamlabs OBS

60.0%
  3. OBS

46.7%
  4. Other (please specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Partly opening this thread for the sake of activity for this forum :p

I understand that the amount of software for use of supporting/customising streams is going to be fairly limited, but curious as to what you use to get a good idea of what's out there? I've created a poll, but don't have the option to allow addition of further options. I do also understand that such platforms might not have a console equivalent if you're not using a capture card.

I'm using Streamlabs OBS. While I am aware that it far outperforms the opensource OBS, I'm kinda not happy with its functionality. Some features here n there don't make sense, and can be hard to find and/or work with them. So basically it does have a learning curve. I suppose they're drawbacks for it being in beta.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  2. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

I use OBS. Really simple and easy to navigate. However I am thinking about moving over to streamlabs as my stream setup and competency has grow.

The nuts and bolts of streamlabs is the same as OBS right? So I could probably find my way around, transfer all my stuff then get to work on the advance functions?

3. OP
    OP
    CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I tried OBS first, but some things wouldn't work for me or I couldn't work something out... I honestly can't remember, but I immediately moved onto Streamlabs as recommended some streamer friends.
    My understanding is Streamlabs is largely more comprehensive feature-wise and level of integration with 3rd party services.

One thing to recommend is to keep backup of your OBS data/profile(s). I've heard "horror" stories of Streamlabs crashing, or simply just releasing an update, which caused streamers to lose their OBS data or become corrupt to the point they had to remake everything.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    SSJ4 likes this.
  4. SSJ4

SSJ4 Member

One thing I really need todo is get some macros going. I have a QMK completely programmable keyboard so I can do just about anything I like. I think if streamlabs had better macro integration that would be enough to make me wanna switch. I dont really want a stream deck either. Rather built a custom keypad so I can feed my mechanical keyboard obsession lol.

5. Boneman

Boneman Member

Not currently streaming, but have used the most current OBS with no problems over the years. I used Streamlabs for alerts etc, and another program called Kapps (related to iRacing) for chat on screen. Also being able to choose from my DAW vsts for mixing my microphone (SM58 into Focusrite or Shure X2u) really helped.

6. AERO

AERO Member

i use streamlabs obs and chatbot, one thing i have is a double up of alerts, not sure why it does it. i shouold look into bcking my overlay up, might customise the hud again a little. maybe remove some. just have a latest follower and follower goal etc.. (cause i dont have any subscribers)

7. Unframed

Unframed Member

SLOBS, I like integrated chat too much. I once had twitch chat not refresh on a 40 person raid, lost a decent raid because of something so trivial.

8. OP
    OP
    CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Speaking of SLOBS, everyone should check their Twitch accounts to make sure you've enabled 2FA. Twitch have now since forced it, which means if you don't have it, you can't get your stream key from Twitch (it will just indicate that it can't load), and SLOBS can't go live.

9. Unframed

Unframed Member

Yeah friend had that issue the other day but like 2FA is a no-brainer if you're making revenue.

10. breno

breno Member

I tried the other stream options twitch recommended and streamlabs was the only one that could pick up the viewport in the level editor so I've stuck with it for now. Only just started really and it's quite fun :)

11. HyRax1

HyRax1 ¡Viva la Resolutión!

I use OBS at work for internal event streaming. Since these events usually contain confidential information and IT Security are too paranoid about using private YouTube channels, I also have a MistServer setup to serve the stream to employees, keeping everything 100% on the internal network. Those who are out of the office can watch via VPN.

OBS encodes and sends a 2mbps 2K stream to MistServer whilst also simultaneously recording a 5mbps 2K version for archiving. MistServer then does the job of providing that stream to everyone (via a pretty webpage that people connect to with a nice simple URL which has an embedded video player from MistServer). Scales rather nicely too, even for the free version on modest hardware (or a VM in my case).

12. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

SLOBS since it looks more user-friendly than normal OBS and yeah, the chat integration is great!